Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ramc

New user

i have body acne...but my face is almost clear(but for a few here and there and the ones that show up once in a while)...i started the regimen today.i read that on usage of the BP gel for the first time, there is a burning sensation ...but i did not feel any burning sensation on my back or upper arms or chest...does this mean that BP wont work for me??? ...or is this a good sign???

Well, since it's your first usage, you may not feel it yet. And I could be wrong, but I think the burning is more of an after effect; like, you wont' feel it when you apply it, but throughout the day your face may feel warm or have a burning sensation, just from all the dryness and such. Give it a few days and it may very well come in. Also, the skin on your back and such is less sensitive than your face - so you may not really feel it if that's the only place you apply it.

However, there are some people who just don't have any bad reaction to BP at all, and if you turn out to be one of those lucky few, rejoice, my man. The BP will most likely still work just as well but you won't want to pull your face off. Sounds like quite a deal.

Good luck and keep us posted!

No burning is a good thing :) Don't take it as a sign to use large amounts of BP quickly, though, since some of the dryness and irritation from BP can take a while to kick in, as Gyroscope mentioned. Just be patient, use a little bit now and gradually increase the amount you use over the next month, and moisturize as often as you need!

Hi Cool as Kim Deal

I just read your advice to new users. I have been on the regimen now for only 4 days but I have really burning, red, flaking/peeling skin. My husband described the BP as poison to my skin. Tonight I only cleansed and moisturised using my Cetaphil products as I couldn't bear another application of burning and to wake up in the morning to see my face even redder and flakier and applying makeup over flaky skin only makes it look worse.

I don't have severe acne so I am wondering whether I should only apply BP once a day or every other day. Someone in another post said their skin has these kind of side effects after 2 months of BP use. I am worried I will be doing more damage than good. What do you recommend?

So far, my problem areas have definitely cleared and I've only had 2 new pustules in 4 days when normally I would have at least half a dozen new ones forming every couple of days. So it is definitely killing off my pimples but I am worried it's killing my skin.

Hi Cool as Kim Deal

I just read your advice to new users. I have been on the regimen now for only 4 days but I have really burning, red, flaking/peeling skin. My husband described the BP as poison to my skin. Tonight I only cleansed and moisturised using my Cetaphil products as I couldn't bear another application of burning and to wake up in the morning to see my face even redder and flakier and applying makeup over flaky skin only makes it look worse.

I don't have severe acne so I am wondering whether I should only apply BP once a day or every other day. Someone in another post said their skin has these kind of side effects after 2 months of BP use. I am worried I will be doing more damage than good. What do you recommend?

So far, my problem areas have definitely cleared and I've only had 2 new pustules in 4 days when normally I would have at least half a dozen new ones forming every couple of days. So it is definitely killing off my pimples but I am worried it's killing my skin.

Hmm, Jenstar, it sounds like you might have either started out using way too much BP or you have a BP allergy. I think you should discontinue BP use (keep moisturizing, though, to help your peeling face) and just apply a little blob of BP behind one of your ears twice a day. If you have the same peeling/redness there, then that's a sign that you're allergic to BP, or at least very very sensitive. If your behind-ear area tolerates BP fine, then I think you probably just started out using too much. If you start back up again, try doing it only once a day, and use just 1/4 of a finger of gel, possibly even less, and don't increase the amount unless your skin seems to be handling it fine. Most people take a little longer than 4 days to experience severe dryness from BP unless they're allergic or started out using too much.

Cool as Kim Deal, that's a great idea for the behind the ear test. I will try that for a few days before trying BP again on my face and then if okay I will start off with a tiny smear. This morning (without applying BP last night), my face is still very red and flaky and this is with heaps of applications of moisturiser last night. So this morning I have only rinsed with water (no cleanser) and applied lots of moisturiser again. Will let my face rest today.