Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brandolynn

I had a peel done today

As most of you know I've been on the Regimen for almost 3 years now. It's worked great on my inflammatory acne.

I went to see my old Dermatologist today because I had about 6 small flesh-colored bumps that came up over the past 6 months or so and I wasn't sure what they were, and I also wanted to know if a peel would help remove them. He told me they were enlarged oil glands (thanks oily skin). He asked if I wanted to do Accutane again, and right now I really don't want to since I can maintain the acne with otc stuff. Anyway, he had the nurse give me a 15% TCA peel and he gave me a prescription for Tazorac 0.05% gel to use every other night, and I'm to continue using the benzoyl peroxide during the day as usual. He also gave me a prescription for Plexion mask to use twice weekly if I want to. And he told me anytime I want to go back on Accutane to just let him know.

Anyway, it's been years since I've had a peel done. They no longer use the dry ice afterwards. It itched pretty badly and now my face is pink and feels tight. I know what to expect since I've had them done before. I'll start flaking and peeling within a day or two then be back to normal in about 5 days. I'm going to use Cetaphil Facial Lotion over my bp during the day since it has some spf.

Just thought I'd share my experience with you all since many of you have asked me about doing peels while on the Regimen. I'll update this thread daily until I'm done peeling in case any of you are interested in how it's going.

Oh, and I'm not to start the Tazorac until a few days from now and they also told me not to use the bp for a day or two.

Getting thrown off your routine for a bit, eh? Good luck, I know that can be a pain sometimes. Couldn't they have just extracted these pockets like they do comedones? I feel like that would have been a lot easier and a lot less intrusive (?) on your Regimen. Who knows, though, I'm no doctor. lol.

Keep us posted on how this goes!

From what I understand, there wasn't anything to extract, they're just enlarged. Hypertrophic. So the peel and the Tazorac should help. I've done a bit of reading and apparently this becomes common in people in their 30's and 40's. It's so lovely to have oily skin. ugh.

Hi Brandy! I did a TCA peel myself a while back. I had considerably less oil production for a long time thereafter. The skin definitely felt nicely refreshed, too. What did they say to use while you're peeling? I just used Vaseline petrolatum jelly for the first few days, then a mild moisturizer. I peeled for about five days. My peel strength was 20%, but the pH was a bit high so not as strong as a physician's office 20% peel.

Hi Wynne,

They didn't really say what to use, they just told me what NOT to use, lol. I'll just wash and use a bit of moisturizer when the peeling begins. :) I hope this settles down my oil a bit, I wasn't expecting it to. That'd be a nice treat.

Wow...your derm sounds cool. He's like the Elvis doctor of skin; whatever you want, you get - just kidding, haha.

When I went to my derm the first time I filled out that I was interested in peels. I thought maybe it would help my super stubborn comedal acne (as DKR had my inflammatory acne under control). My derm doesn't seem to think anything but tretinoin is necessary, or at least she hasn't said anything about doing anything else.

My chin is like cottage cheese bumpy (if you look closely....not whiteheads, but deep comedal acne) and I have a flesh colored bump on my nose bridge in addition to some seriously large nose pores. It's been 4 months and none of it has budged except some improvement on my nose pores; rather my inflammatory acne has gotten even better when it wasn't even much of a problem anymore. Very irritating...I just want a smooth chin & a nose that doesn't have pin holes all over it!

^ yea, the pores on my nose are pretty noticeable too Siouxsie. I'll see how this Tazorac does for a few months. If this becomes a hassle I may opt to do Accutane again, just mainly for the oil control. I'm so tired of blotting all day long. I'd be pretty happy right now if my oil wasn't so crazy. The acne is totally under control but the oil glands are back to working overtime just as pre-Accutane.

He said he has some people who have done 3 full courses and still stay on a weekly dose of Accutane indefinitely to maintain their skin. So, that's an option too I suppose down the line. Oh, and he also has a few 60 year olds on it! And I can come back each month for peels if I want to. They do a "peel clinic" every Friday. You can schedule a peel and the nurses do it real quick, so there's no waiting like when you have to see the doctor. I may try to do them regularly and see if that helps since Wynne said she noticed a reduction in oil after her TCA peel.

I think you'll like regular peels! I have to get off my lazy rump and give myself another peel and another TCA CROSS soon. :) It helps me considerably with oil production. I don't know if that's just how my skin reacts and if you'll experience the same thing. I hope you do!

Back when I was a teen, I went monthly for peels up until I was 25 or so. ^ It's just such a hassle, but I may just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Is it advisable to have deep peels (spanish peels) while on the regimen?

hmmm, now that I don't know. You'd probably better ask a professional. They may want you to discontinue the bp a few days before and stay off it until healed.

btw, I'm not peeling any yet but my face is very noticeably red and dryish looking.

Very minimal flaking today.

I admit I'm a bit disappointed. I expected to peel quite a bit but I'm not. I went ahead and used my bp today as usual.

Bleh. A bit more flaking but no real peeling to speak of. So, I went ahead and started the Tazorac last night. It went fine, no irritation whatsoever and this morning my skin looks normal. I had a bit of flaking but that washed off during my morning wash.

I think I'll have to have a stronger peel next time, this one hardly did a thing.

Did it end up getting rid of your oil pocket things though?

No. They're not really pockets of oil. It's hard to describe but they just look like tiny little flesh colored bumps, like skin, there's nothing really inside them at all. But they're still there. Maybe over time the Tazorac will help them. And if I decide to get regular peels, I'll ask for stronger one's in the future. Since this 10% TCA didn't seem to do diddly. ;)