Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hippster1

alcohol and spiro

What's the story about alcohol and spiro???

I read online you shouldn't drink while on it, but why? Is it ok if i still do my binge drinking??? (Occasionally lol)

I have read that you should avoid alcohol, but I haven't read that you can't drink at all. I'm not sure what the medical reason is. Perhaps someone else knows. I just figured it intensifies the side effects of the spiro, and I sometimes find the alcohol hits me a bit harder than usual too. I still drink maybe once a week, at most, and not a lot. One very strong drink at the most, or a couple less strong drinks. But with me, one strong drink like cherry vodka sour will make me drunk. I don't get drunk unless it's by accident. I try to moderate it.

Spiro (along with many other drugs) are filtered through the liver. When adding alcohol on board, this could cause your liver function to decrease. Another side effect of drinking alcohol with spiro is that it can increase orthostatic hypotension (drop in BP when rising from lying/sitting). I'm sure these effects would be minimal to none with small/moderate amounts of alcohol, but not sure about a binge (probably also depends on your dose, when it was last taken, your normal BP, etc.). I'd definitely ask your pharmacist or doctor about this to be sure.

cherry vodka sour