Notifications
Clear all

Good N' Natural Zinc for Acne

MemberMember
(@acneprone83)

Posted : 11/05/2007 10:30 am

Hey everyone,

The owner of a health food store in my neighborhood told me to try this supplement for acne:

Good N' Natural: Zinc for Acne

It contains many ingredients that are known to aid in the prevention of acne like zinc, vitamin c, vitamin a, etc. However I have been hesitant to take it since I've been taking a multivitamin for the past 2 years, and was told by the manufacturer that I couldn't take both at the same time due to the vitamin A content of both vitamins. The multivitamin I've been taking is this one:

Good N Natural: One Multivitamin

My concern is that I don't want to stop taking the multivitamin since it not only contains higher doses of the vitamins in the Zinc for Acne but also many many more vitamins that are known to be essential for optimal health. I dont want to trade in a mountain to gain a mole hill. The other option would be for me to just add a zinc supplement to my multivitamin regimen, but last time I did that the zinc made me feel nauseous.

It has only become an issue now since my breakouts have not gotten under control and I've had to increase the benzoyl peroxide concentration in my topicals to get things under control. I thought adding a supplement would help attack it from all fronts. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@aluralee)

Posted : 07/15/2014 7:02 pm

I am not a doctor or anything, not with any big company, and still researching this myself, but I saw that the ingredients in the Good N Natural One Multi contains Potassium Iodide and you mention your breakouts are not under control. I saw a video on youtube by an esthecian at an acne clinic called Foods that Make Acne Worse. In it they discourage Iodides and sea weed because they say we are getting too much of it, as in the the idodes in regular table salt, and that it irrates the pores when we sweat and may cause acne. They also say to watch out for peanuts and peanut butter. So maybe there is a good reason why that company, Good N Natural, has a separate vitamin for acne because the one for acne does not have that ingredient (potassium iodide) in it. Anyway, hope this helps a little bit and if anyone knows if their acne vitamin works I would be interested too.

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 07/16/2014 3:23 am

The only mineral you can overdose with and it is found in Zinc For Acne is the zinc and the zinc in that supplement is in form of zinc gluconate which is only partially absorbed by your body (Same goes for almost any vitamin and mineral found in your multivitamin). So I wouldn't worry about overdosing. I recommend taking the supplements separately to maximize absorption. By the way Zinc For Acne is to be taken two times a day so you can limit your intake to once a day if you feel worried.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/16/2014 10:18 am

You have to determine how much is actually vitamin A and how much is beta carotene. You won't OD on the beta carotene.

Also, a one a day multi vitamin is pointless. Water soluble nutrients are needed throughout the day. And your body only absorbs so much of other nutrients at a time, so they are also needed more than once a day.

MemberMember
(@rudy23)

Posted : 07/16/2014 8:07 pm

You have to determine how much is actually vitamin A and how much is beta carotene. You won't OD on the beta carotene.

Also, a one a day multi vitamin is pointless. Water soluble nutrients are needed throughout the day. And your body only absorbs so much of other nutrients at a time, so they are also needed more than once a day.

There is no beta carotene in that supplement and there is only 500 IU of vitamin A (as Retinyl Acetate) per pill which is insignificant so he shouldn't worry about vitamin A overdose.