Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Elsewhere

Does scarring get worse as you get older?

I've recently realized that my acne has begun to scar (I'm 26) wheras it never did before. Aside from the icepick scars, I'm noticing that pores that were enlarged for awhile are STAYING enlarged, like they've been scarred. While it's all fairly minor, it makes me wonder if I should start taking prevantive action against scarring, and if my skin's tendancy to scar will only get worse.

Advice or suggestions as to why this is happening as I'm getting older, despite my acne severity lessening?

I've recently realized that my acne has begun to scar (I'm 26) wheras it never did before. Aside from the icepick scars, I'm noticing that pores that were enlarged for awhile are STAYING enlarged, like they've been scarred. While it's all fairly minor, it makes me wonder if I should start taking prevantive action against scarring, and if my skin's tendancy to scar will only get worse.

Advice or suggestions as to why this is happening as I'm getting older, despite my acne severity lessening?

A Mod posting a question! ^_^

Yes, you probably do scar more easily as you get older, as your skin is not producing as much collagen as before. Lifestyle changes may also have an effect, like smoking and exercise.

I wouldn't give it another thought and start handling those small scars carefully and consistently with some good topicals.

IMO it does get worse as you get older (has for me anyway). But as i am still fairly young (22) i attribute most of this to constant use of BP. I rarely get acne anymore (dans regimen is doing a good job), but over the last year or so my pores seem to have gotten huge, and i'm pretty sure its the BP.

Unfortunately i can't come off it because i'll breakout and end up with a ton of new scars.

Elsewhere, I've found that as I've gotten older, my scars appear worse, not that they really are worse. As we age our skin begins to naturally lose its elasticity and collagen. So, scars that seemed very shallow or miniscule before, become more prominent. I've had some good results using Green Cream at night and the bp during the day. This has helped to "plump" my skin back up so it appears to minimize mild indentations, but certainly not a cure by any means.

Yes, your skin lessens in its ability to regenerate as you get older, which is why little children heal so much better and faster than older people.

It makes sense as you get older to start doing things to promote skin regeneration and keeping your skin moisturized. My skin has become far less oily as I got older (I'm 32), and now instead of having to attack it with drying agents I have to keep it mildly moisturized (also my diet no longer includes fast foods, which makes a huge difference in oil production).

Drink LOTS and LOTS of water and don't smoke cigarettes, nicotine and smoke will really do a bad number on your skin, dry it out and starve it of oxygen so it wrinkles and turns yellow and looks like shit.

Those are my suggestions! =) And NEVER pick at your skin, that is a sure fire way to create a scar even from a very small pimple.

Happened to me too. I never scarred from acne in 10 years of suffering on and off, and very cystic at times. Then this outbreak earlier this year left me extremely scarred. Scarred pores, pitted scars. At 26 like you (well I will be 27 this weekend). I think your skin just can't bounce back and heal as well, the older you get.

However, a good percentage of my scars seem to be slowly filling in, and I think part of this is due to how well I have cared for my skin the last few years. And how well I continue to care for it. I started using sunscreen EVERY DAY and anti-aging creams at night in my early 20's. I was bad about the night creams the last year or so during my divorce and severe acne breakout, but I'm getting back on track with that (well I consider Differin anti-aging, and I am sure to use eye cream even if I don't use my nightcream) and I have always used sunscreen since about 22. I will continue to use a retinoid as well, to help with collagen production. I was recently told, by someone I just met, that I looked 22 :dance: So I am a big advocate of sunscreen and anti-aging treatments, and just being gentle with your skin overall.