Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tom_Mason

To treat or not to treat

I know some people will say if a scar bothers you that you should seek treatment but from the time i've been on these boards there have been numerous cases of people with minor scarring who really didn't need to risk treatment making their scars far worse due to risky procedures.

My theory is that if your scars can't be picked up on camera that you can probably wait it out until better less risky technology arrives. To those with significant scarring eg can be seen in any lighting then its up to them to work out the risk/reward ratio but if they are very minimal i would just sit tight.

I know some people will say if a scar bothers you that you should seek treatment but from the time i've been on these boards there have been numerous cases of people with minor scarring who really didn't need to risk treatment making their scars far worse due to risky procedures.

My theory is that if your scars can't be picked up on camera that you can probably wait it out until better less risky technology arrives. To those with significant scarring eg can be seen in any lighting then its up to them to work out the risk/reward ratio but if they are very minimal i would just sit tight.

I Guess its up to the individual Tom, most people are vain and like to look there best!

I completely understand people trying to look their best, what I'm trying to get at is if you have to struggle to see your scarring then its not worth the risk. If anyone reading this is comtemplating scar treatments if you have to search for your scarring please think twice about it. The people you read about having dermabrasion and the like generally have at least moderate scars and just be aware that although someone may be a doctor it doesn't automatically make them pure of heart.

Dont feel the need to rush anything

Dont be pressured into anything

Dont be embaressed to seek a second, third even forth opinion

Yes, I agree. Far too many people on these boards don't adequately weigh the risks of scar treatments vs. the benefits you might get and the severity of the scarring to begin with. They just want to be perfect. I continue to shake my head at people who want to do scar treatment for one or two small scars, or minor imperfections. This kind of scarring is not worth the risk of scar treatments.

I think only when the severity of the current scarring (by OBJECTIVE observation!) outweighs the risk of scar treatment, should scar treatment be pursued. I have pretty bad scarring and yeah it bugs me and isn't nice to have. But objectively, it's not worth the risk of invasive scar treatments. I'd rather live with what I have than risk making my face worse in the pursuit of perfection.