Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lily h

vegetarian sources of omega-3s?

i'm a vegetarian - don't eat fish, so i can't take fish oil. however, i've heard that flaxseed oil isn't effective for acne. are there any other vegetarian sources of omega-3s that would help acne?

My mom is a vegetarian, and she eats eggs from vegetarian-fed chickens. They're readily available in large grocery strores (Giant Eagle, Kroger . . . ), as well as in organic grocery stores. It says they're vegetarian-fed on the carton and usually tells you the omega-3 content, too.

Why can't you take fish oil supplements? Is it for ethical reasons? It's generally very hard to get enough omega-3s from plants, because the body has to convert the plant omega-3s (ALA) into EPA and DHA before they'll help your acne, and this only happens with 15% of the ALA you consume.

Why can't you take fish oil supplements? Is it for ethical reasons?

He's a vegetarian.

Eat flaxseed's, also lots of margarines are fortified with Omega3's.

well that's the thing, i read in some other threads that flaxseed oil had too many omega-6's to be effective against acne. the idea about eggs is a good one, although i'm trying to eat less eggs and dairy. i was just wondering if there were any other sources.

also, he? i have a girl's name and a girl's avatar :lol: