Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLinkster007

Been on DKR for 2 months, but still have red face like sunburn

I am using a water-based gel BP 2.5% and Cetaphil moisturising lotion, and Neutragena Oil-Free Cream Cleanser.

My routine is just do the DKR regime for the trouble areas in the morning, but at night I do the full face. I also only use the cleanser at nights.

Anyway, I have been experiencing a red face for the entire duration. When my shirt is off and I am looking in the mirror, it is as if my face were sunburned everywhere except around eyes. It's weird. Also the upper half of my neck is all red due to BP and Moisturisering from my face, but not the lower half.

It's been 2 months now and the redness is making me think I am doing my skin an incredible amount of damage. I can feel heat emitting from my face as if it were a burn but it doesn't hurt at all.

I have noticed that all of the redness disappears as soon as I wash off all of the BP and moisturiser with cold water.

This brings me to my next issue: Every time I rinse off these layers of product, my face starts flaking within a minute. Everywhere. You'd think I put sandpaper to my face.

Anyway, because of this I am in a annoying situation.

1) The DKR regime causes my face to be red. It looks like sunburn and I can feel that my face is hotter than everywhere else. It's not unbearable or anything, but a bit concerning.

2) If I use cold water to rinse it all off, to have a "break" from it all, then I immediately get flaky all over my face and quite badly too. This leads me to believe the BP is ruining my skin even though it seems to be working gradually on my acne.

It has been 2 months and I feel that I shouldn't be experiencing this. I look at the before and after photos of other members and some photos would say "I am wearing DKR in this photo!" or something like that, but their face isn't all red and looking like sunburn.

Im thinking maybe if I use Daniel Kern's BP water gel instead of the gel I am currently using, it might work better. The BP I buy is like a white tube with white cream even though it says "Water-based Gel" on the little box.

I would say dan's bp works better, but if the bp is making you red, then maybe you could use it once a day, and maybe use something else in the morning like SA?

I think the redness and dryness will diminish if you switch BP brands, and maybe use a little less when you do the full face application. Most BPs are water-based, so that in and of itself doesn't mean too much. The way you've described how the layers flake off and how it's white and creamy make me think that maybe the formulation for that gel is pretty irritating, maybe it has a large amount of drying alcohol in it or something, who knows. In any case, it sounds like you're using too much of it or it's just really drying (or quite likely, both). Dan's gel is wonderful and I highly recommend it, hands down the best BP I've ever tried.

I think you could benefit from incorporating jojoba oil into your routine, too. I like massaging several drops of it all over my face after cleansing but before applying Dan's gel. This helps my face to feel more supple, less tight and dry after I put on the BP, and does a great job of preventing flakes (and even removing some flakes while you massage it on, too). I don't know how the jojoba oil would work with the BP you use now, but it's been a great addition to my regimen and hasn't diminished the effectiveness of BP, only the dryness and flaking side effects.

I think the redness and dryness will diminish if you switch BP brands, and maybe use a little less when you do the full face application. Most BPs are water-based, so that in and of itself doesn't mean too much. The way you've described how the layers flake off and how it's white and creamy make me think that maybe the formulation for that gel is pretty irritating, maybe it has a large amount of drying alcohol in it or something, who knows. In any case, it sounds like you're using too much of it or it's just really drying (or quite likely, both). Dan's gel is wonderful and I highly recommend it, hands down the best BP I've ever tried.

I think you could benefit from incorporating jojoba oil into your routine, too. I like massaging several drops of it all over my face after cleansing but before applying Dan's gel. This helps my face to feel more supple, less tight and dry after I put on the BP, and does a great job of preventing flakes (and even removing some flakes while you massage it on, too). I don't know how the jojoba oil would work with the BP you use now, but it's been a great addition to my regimen and hasn't diminished the effectiveness of BP, only the dryness and flaking side effects.

Hi The Linkster

I use the same BP in 2.5% and Cetaphil for my cleanser and moisturiser. I started this regimen 4 days ago and my skin is now constantly red, peeling/flaking, burning and also sometimes bit itchy. It has cleared up some of my problem areas but the other side effects are quite bad and each day these effects are getting slightly worse. Tonight I decided to just cleanse and moisturise as I couldn't bear another application of BP which my husband described as "poison" to my skin.

Maybe it's because I don't have severe acne and this BP stuff is meant for really severe acne sufferers. I don't know whether to stop completely, just do one application a day or try something more natural like tea tree oil. All I know, is if I continue slathering it on at this rate, my face will virtually sizzle and flake away completely. Is this how you are feeling?

Yeah, you have to I mean have to start off slow. Use just a pea sized amt. only during the nights if you need to. Another thing that has helped me with the flakes is jojoba oil added to my cetaphil lotion. I make sure to put alot on durin the night as it can be as thick as I want because I'm just going to bed. Try this out and see how it goes.

Yes, I am reading more and more about this jojoba oil - add 3 drops to moisturiser I believe. Should I only do this at night? Also, I have been using 1/3 finger of BP as that is what Dan stated as the starting amount. I am now finding out it should be more like a pea sized amount in the beginning. Tonight I keep reapplying my moisturiser to my chin (the flakiest area). It seems to have calmed down a bit but face extremely red like it is sunburnt.

nope, this happened to me exactly and I had to completely go off of every topical medicine and find a way to exfoliate my skin to get rid of the dead flaking skin. Switching products, adding a product in, or lowering your use of a product WILL NOT HELP. Guarentee it.

nope, this happened to me exactly and I had to completely go off of every topical medicine and find a way to exfoliate my skin to get rid of the dead flaking skin. Switching products, adding a product in, or lowering your use of a product WILL NOT HELP. Guarentee it.

I had the same problem less than a week ago. My face was red like sunburn and emitting heat. When I washed it off I got really flaky. Jojoba oil fixed that. Massage some (4-5 drops for me) onto entire face after cleansing and let absorb, then apply BP. I'd also recommend switching to Dan's BP.

I had the same problem less than a week ago. My face was red like sunburn and emitting heat. When I washed it off I got really flaky. Jojoba oil fixed that. Massage some (4-5 drops for me) onto entire face after cleansing and let absorb, then apply BP. I'd also recommend switching to Dan's BP.