Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Addie

When you look better in your eyes . . .

It sucks when I think my skin looks fine and friends/relatives tell me it still looks like shit. I think I look like a relatively average girl. Most of you would probably laugh at me if I said I had an acne problem now (but not 6 months ago).

What? Am I a monster, and I'm just so used to being a monster I can't tell anymore? Idk. It just sucks to have my self-image, confidence, and feeling of accomplishment shot down like that.

I found out a couple days ago that when my boyfriend is intensely checking out my face, he's not looking at my lack of acne: Now, he's looking at my scars. I felt like a medical freak when he used to involuntarily stare at my acne, but I thought it'd be over when they were gone . . . (Yes, we've discussed it. He doesn't mean anything by it, but it makes me sad anyway. :( )

yeh, i no longer have any idea if my self perception is accurate or not..

just this evening i was buying a bottle of foundation, i held it up to my face next to a mirror so i could see if the shade was right...

holy shit i nearly scared myself :surprised: ... my face was all red and bumpy wtf!? i had actually 4gotten i had acne or not realized how bad it was :wacko: or maybe those creeps put an uglifying mirror in the skincare aisle so girls will freak out and buy moar products...

yeh, i no longer have any idea if my self perception is accurate or not..

just this evening i was buying a bottle of foundation, i held it up to my face next to a mirror so i could see if the shade was right...

holy shit i nearly scared myself :surprised: ... my face was all red and bumpy wtf!? i had actually 4gotten i had acne or not realized how bad it was :wacko:

thats weird he's been checking out your scars, seems a bit unnecessary, hope he's not being a bastard and making jokes about it at all, but if you ever feel like he's being too vindictive, just stare closely at his penis and chuckle. That outta sort him out ;)

Unless he's Ron Jeremy....

Huh, I think I see myself worse. After so many years of acne I don't know

how to look at my face and not see it, I don't know how to react.

They're just jerks then, if YOU think you look good, don't let anyone spoil it :D

Yeah I get both ways.

Sometimes I think my skin is looking better than usual and kids are still like, what's up with your red face?

And then there's times where I look in the mirror thinking, God I look like hell. And my mom will come in saying 'you're skin is looking better!' I'm like yeah whatever. Other people would tell me the same thing when I was in Sweden and I never believed them, but when I compared pictures from the beginning of the year to the end, I noticed they were right. However America has brought it all back. :boohoo:

My self perception is seriously skewed as well. I don't know if is too high, too low, or accurate anymore. I look in a mirror and I am disappointed, which must mean I imagine myself better looking than I am. Yet people will make nice comments or react to me in a way which really surprises me, so does that mean I assess my looks to be worse than they are?

I don't know....

When it comes to my skin, I don't know how people view my complexion. It looks so much better to me now than it was, and I know that I would be considered to have "clear" skin now, but at the same time I know my skin is far from being a "pretty complexion". So I wonder if people look at me & think my general complexion is not that great, even though they may have no idea how bad it could be.

You no what i hate, the fact that all mirrors seem to be different so i never really no how crap or well my skin is looking. I mean i will look in the mirror at home and everything is fine, then the mirrors at uni are completely different and my skin looks like absolute shit, and then i get confused on which one is more accurate and which one would most likely be how other people see me skin. And also the stupid lighting which contributes to the overall effect(yeah the lightening has more of an effect i no, lol)!

You no what i hate, the fact that all mirrors seem to be different so i never really no how crap or well my skin is looking. I mean i will look in the mirror at home and everything is fine, then the mirrors at uni are completely different and my skin looks like absolute shit, and then i get confused on which one is more accurate and which one would most likely be how other people see me skin. And also the stupid lighting which contributes to the overall effect(yeah the lightening has more of an effect i no, lol)!

not acne related but i hear you on this one. i think i talk normally, act normally until people tell me in that ever so patronizing tone that whatever it is i'm saying is boring, out of context, not relevant, i'm talking to much, i'm weird...etc.

it makes me want to never speak again. or go out. ever. so ya. i understand.

goddamn i hate people today.

not you tho. i <3 you nastja! you rock and personally your posts are so intelligent you are gorgoues inside so i am damn sure you are outside, inner beauty radiates you haven't posted a picure but i'd stake money on my claim :)

I broke up with just about every girlfriend I had in the past 2 years because of my acne. For some reason girls still fall for me. But, I can't bring my self to discuss the social situations that make me uncomfortable. Eventually, the stress of going out to restaurants, close face-to-face conversations and , sex (ya, my acne even bugs me during sex) -- I need rest and relaxation, and I'll just break it off, for whatever arbitrary reason comes to my mind.

To the original poster: I applaud you for being able to talk to your boyfriend about your skin. I haven't been able to confide in anyone about it, except for the people on this forum.

Calibos,

Nah, he's not being a bastard. Aside from the not being a bastard in general, he has his own acne problems, too. And I had to ask him who Ron Jeremy is . . .

Actually, my mom is pretty much the biggest bastard about my acne. One time I tried to get her to touch my face to show her how Tazorac had made my skin all soft after a couple months on it. I purposefully pointed to a spot to touch that didn't have any active acne, receding acne, red marks, or more than minimal scarring. She was actually revolted by my skin! She had this look of complete disgust and wouldn't even touch me! She actually will touch my hair, but jerk her hand away if it gets anywhere near my skin, which evidentally carries the plague, unlike my hair, of course. Good god! Don't marry a man with severe acne if you don't want your kids to be little mutant-acne-freaks! And it's her genes that make me need to take the med that gives me acne. She stares at me hard-core, too; I'm glad I don't live anywhere near her, so I don't have to deal with that on a regular basis.

Ophelia_Begins,

Awwlll! Thank you. :D And if you'll notice, my profile picture reveals I have 2 hands with the nails either cut shortor bitten, dark hair, a set of lips, a shiny metal camera, and that I enjoy fuzzy, blue sweaters. ;)

darkdeeds,

I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years, and we've both dealt with severe acne at some point, so talking about it comes pretty naturally, but I can guess how rough it would be to talk to someone new(ish) who might not even have had acne at all.

Ophelia_Begins,

Awwlll! Thank you. :D And if you'll notice, my profile picture reveals I have 2 hands with the nails either cut shortor bitten, dark hair, a set of lips, a shiny metal camera, and that I enjoy fuzzy, blue sweaters. ;)

Ophelia_Begins,

you are correct. and i stand by my YOU ARE HOT statement. :D hot lips, great hair. man i'm jealous!

Calibos,

Nah, he's not being a bastard. Aside from the not being a bastard in general, he has his own acne problems, too. And I had to ask him who Ron Jeremy is . . .

Actually, my mom is pretty much the biggest bastard about my acne. One time I tried to get her to touch my face to show her how Tazorac had made my skin all soft after a couple months on it. I purposefully pointed to a spot to touch that didn't have any active acne, receding acne, red marks, or more than minimal scarring. She was actually revolted by my skin! She had this look of complete disgust and wouldn't even touch me! She actually will touch my hair, but jerk her hand away if it gets anywhere near my skin, which evidentally carries the plague, unlike my hair, of course. Good god! Don't marry a man with severe acne if you don't want your kids to be little mutant-acne-freaks! And it's her genes that make me need to take the med that gives me acne. She stares at me hard-core, too; I'm glad I don't live anywhere near her, so I don't have to deal with that on a regular basis.

Ophelia_Begins,

darkdeeds,

I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years, and we've both dealt with severe acne at some point, so talking about it comes pretty naturally, but I can guess how rough it would be to talk to someone new(ish) who might not even have had acne at all.