Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acend

Anxious/afraid of facing relatives...

I've been dealing with this crap for too long and some of my aunts, uncles, and cousins haven't seen me for over a year. I guess it's pretty sad to think that I'm afraid of seeing relatives but I'm just tired of having to answer questions and seeing their shock from seeing what my skin has become.

Today, my aunt came over, unexpectedly to me, so I just watched tv in the basement in the dark. Thankfully she didn't notice anything.

I've avoided many different family gatherings and whatnot for the same reasons. Is this pathetic or what? Any of you guys know what i'm feelinh?

Totally know what you're going through. Haven't been over to see relatives of mine in years. I see them at weddings and funerals. I usually get "still getting pimples?" or "whats with that beard, shave it off." Comments like that don't exactly make me feel all too guilty not seeing them often.

It's crazy that I've even thought about situations like a funeral. I don't know how I could get through that - I wouldn't even be able to wear a hat to cover up a bit.

Also, I got lucky last year because my dad's family ended up canceling Christmas get-together/dinner (thankfully, since my acne was at its worse) but I'm thinking I might not be so lucky this year. It would just be odd I guess to not see some of my relatives for a few years but I don't have the courage to face the probably ridicule and teasing.

I have the exact same problem as you! I haven't seen my grandparents for nearly a year now! But since I last saw them my acne has got extremely bad and I'm so embarassed of seeing them.

Its like now everyone knows about my acne now...since my mum had to tell them why I couldn't see them. Now everytime they phone, its like a massive subject over the phone...'Hows her spots? She needs to see us, it shouldnt be a problem to see us, why is she making a fuss for?'.. and my grandmother even told my mum that if I didn't see her soon she wouldn't give me my money account when I turn 16. It makes me so mad :mad: ...because they also make it sound like its not a big deal and then having to go and try and bribe me to go and see them. Well it didn't work because I can't see them and not going to. Plus I don't need the money anyway! And I know if I saw her she will be like 'Woah...what has happened to your face?! Its pretty bad...You need to try an acne product.' My grandmother has absolutely no tact :rolleyes: . Shes also the sort of perosn that thinks acne is easily treated by rubbish clearasil, clean and clear products e.t.c. When its defiantly not that simple! If it was I would not have this problem! And I really want to avoid it at al costs. I'm embarrassed enough without my family going on about it, making me feel worse.

Don't worry its not pathetic at all, sometimes I think my relatives are the ones who a pathetic, they should be more understanding and not tease and make comments about acne or for any other situation for that matter.

Its so embarassing to hear my mum on the otherside of the phone call saying, 'Sorry she can't come because of her acne.' I'm also suppose to meet all my family a few days before Christmas, and no way can I go with my skin like this. And its making my family feel dissapointed of me for not meeting them. Its not like I don't want to see them, its the fact that I can't because my skin is very bad at the moment and I don't want people upsetting me and making useless comments about it. So I know exactly how you feel! I've also thought about certain occasions that if something happened that I would defiantly have to go to no question about it, then I would have to try figuring out what I could do about my face. I think that way too.

I missed seeing family for about 5 years I think, and my mom made lots of

excuses so no one knew it was 'cause of skin problems. Now that I feel a little

better about myself I go to things again, and honestly I don't regret what I did.

It would've been so painful. And I wouldn't blame anyone for it.

I missed seeing family for about 5 years I think, and my mom made lots of

excuses so no one knew it was 'cause of skin problems. Now that I feel a little

better about myself I go to things again, and honestly I don't regret what I did.

It would've been so painful. And I wouldn't blame anyone for it.

Like clockwork everytime my uncle and aunt would come to my house or we'd go there my face would break out horribly . I remember one time I came into the kitchen after putting on my bp and my uncle goes "what's that all over your face??" I was just like "oh uhh my face cream.." and he's like "wow we never had acne as kids did we??" and went on and on about how much it must suck to be me. I pretty much just stammered something and walked back to my room and cried. I've hated relative visits since.

ya. i rarely see my relatives. haven't seen almost any family members in years.... they are very judgemental. i prefer not to give them something to talk about i e my face.

Relatives seem to think they have some special power that allows them to be as tactless as they want without any repercussions, just because we share the same blood.

Bloody relatives, i know they mean well but they can be fucking annoying sometimes. Thats why i havent seen some of them for yonks

I avoid family gatherings at all costs as much as i can. It sucks and my family think im horrible and rude and selfish for it. But i feel so worthless and crap when im having to sit there with everyone saying about pretty and stunning my sister (whos 24 and never had acne) and perfect cousin (who is my age and for some reason always seems to be in competition with me and a real bitch) are and even worse when im asked to agree and told "why cant you be more like your sister or your cousin" etc its really fucking shitty....and it gets harder as i get older, im 20 and when i have to face them i know therye thinking "christ shes had acne since she was 10 and its still there" And find them looking at me with pained/disgusted expressions on their faces.

In reality, im not a "selfish rude obnoxious bitch" that they often refere to me as, im just a depressed lost girl who cant turn to her family for help. I feel more and more less part of the family, hated, just because of my skin.

I dont talk to my friends about my skin, im too ashamed and embarrassed but therye more like my family than my blood relatives.