Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sully3

Folliculitis

I am 22 and male. I suffered from moderate acne during my teens and now only have to deal with mild outbreaks occasionally. However I seem to be prone to get bumpy red irritation when I shaved my neck. It usually occurs the next day and concentrates in the same area, ranging from just redness to a large amount small white heads. It usually goes away in 2-4 days. I always thought this was just "Razor burn", my skin getting mad at me for shaving.

So a couple of days ago I had my chest waxed for the first time. I assume everything was standard practice, everything appeared hygienic, the lady wore gloves and i got coated with a tea tree oil lotion afterwards.

However, the next day I awake to have what appears to be a horrible case of chest acne. I have about ten thousand tiny red dots and about a hundred have come to white pustules of various sizes. Being very concerned and embarrassed, I turned to the internet to find answers.

I came across staphylococcal folliculitis which seems to be what I have. Apparantly its caused by the common staph bacteria entering into the disturbed hair follicle.

From reading, people recommend hydrocortisone, which is a mild topical steroid, to relieve the redness. I have used that and it did seem to cut down on the redness and pain but the white heads don't seem phased. What I am wondering is if I should be using a more traditional acne medication for all these zit like pustules. Or if there are any other solutions to get rid of this quickly with out having a bunch of tiny scars.

Also, I seem to be prone to this happening. But even with the tea tree oil lotion, which i think is supposed to be antibacterial/antifungal, the hideous rash sprang up overnight. If anybody knows ways to prevent this it would be much appreciated.

You need Tend Skin! It's a rather expensive formula, but it gets rave reviews all over the internet. I have actually only used the homemade version because I am dirt poor right now, but it works pretty well! The real stuff is supposedly much better because it doesn't over-dry like the homemade version sometimes does, so if you can afford it then go with that. If you'd like to try making the homemade version, I'll post that as soon as I can find the recipe. :)

Anyway, from my experience using just the cheap homemade tend skin, it completely eradicated the big nasty zit-like ingrown hair bumps, though I still get little red marks... but maybe that's just because I'm a girl using this on my bikini line where hair removal is a huge hassle anyway. It also helps with razor bumps on my legs. I suspect that if I could find a moisturizer that doesn't irritate me (or afford the real Tend Skin!) then even the little red marks would go away. :) So, the best way to use it is to apply it with a cotton ball to the whole area both before and after you shave or wax. And keep applying two or three times a day, as long as it doesn't irritate.

So go check out Tend Skin, and I'll be back with the homemade recipe as soon as I can find it. :)

Found it!

homemade tend skin:

solution 1:

18 tablets uncoated aspirin, crushed

5 oz. rubbing alcohol

combine.

solution 2:

8 tablets uncoated aspirin, crushed

2.5 oz. witch hazel

combine.

combine the two solutions. the aspirin will settle a bit, so shake it before use. apply to the bikini area to prevent ingrowns. it can also be used to spot treat blemishes. (aspirin is acetic and salicylic acids.)

Oh, and if you ever have your chest waxed again, or decide to remove hair on any other part of your body other than your face, you should try applying deodorant to the area afterwards (I do it on top of the tend skin) to help prevent bumps. It needs to be a gentle (preferably unscented) plain old stick deodorant. I like Dove Ultimate Clear or Degree Ultra Clear. I don't know exactly why this works, but strippers swear by it! ;)

Depends on the folliculitis you have. You can get a sample taken of the bacteria to check. Tend skin is good for ingrown hairs but will do nothing for the likes of gram negative folli.

Being very concerned and embarrassed, I turned to the internet to find answers.

I came across staphylococcal folliculitis which seems to be what I have. Apparantly its caused by the common staph bacteria entering into the disturbed hair follicle.

I wouldn't assume that's exactly what you have unless you get a doctor to confirm it.

Thanks for all the input and the recipe for the tend skin.

Its taken longer than I hoped to clear up. Its still not completely gone I still have some red bumps about but it does look much better than it did!

I do think the key is going to be preventing it, as once its there it does seem difficult to get rid of. I'll try the tend skin and that stripper remedy Jen, but maybe its just an excuse because they have smelly crotches :think: lol jk

Thanks again!