Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Estella_10

accutane and alcohol??

ive been reading a lot about accutane on here and a few people have mentioned that you cant drink alcohol while on accutane, however my dermatologist has yet to mention anything like that. does it alter the effectiveness of accutane? also what if you just drink really carefully and in modertation? i dont mean to sound like a waste case or anything but its going to be hard not to drink for 5 months, especially since when i go on acctuane in about a month my course with coincide with xmas break, spring break, my bday, and all weekends (obviously lol). :doh:

another question..(And please if your going to say soemthing rude then dont bother)...can you smoke weed while on accutane? im thinking of this because if i want to go out with my friends adn have fun on weekends and stuff and i cant drink..well, that wont be so much fun. if you can, does it show up on blood tests? if it does can you get in trouble for it?

i know this is a really random post so thank you to anyone who has an info!

I drink, but not nearly as much. I used to drink every weekend - every friday and saturday night, but not anymore - I just make sure to do it in moderation.. Like once every couple of weeks, and i try to stick to beer. I don't notice any differences in the way I feel though, when I DO drink.

And I smoked weed a couple of weeks ago and it was alright. My eyes got super red though, which they havent before. And i mean blood shot red. It was freaky lol.

ughhhhh the a lot of stuff people post on these forums are wrong. you can drink while on accutane, but of course only in moderation.

not sure about weed smoking, but imo if your going on accutane for 5 months, your acne must be serious. Why not put the hard yards in and stop the weed?

its actually not serious as most people who use accutane, but even with the medicine im on now im still not clear and consistly having break outs, but its nothing like it was a few years ago. i just want accutane to get rid of acne once and for all!!

i went to my derm a few days ago to tell her that i wanted to go on accutane, and she said ok and she went over some of the basics, including the 5month period. im assuming when i go back in a few week to go over more of the details it wont be 5 months. i dont think i need to go on for 5 months anyways and i would like to go on the lowest dosage.

im used to drink fridays and saturday too, so ill deffinetly have to plans things out and cut way back on drinking and what not. and i dont smoke on a regular basis, only once and a while. i was just curious.

*thanks you guys who responded! :cool:

I was on tane before and i defintely noticed a difference with alcohol. Not so much at the time of drinking, i could have about the same amount and get the same results but defintely suffered more in the mornings. You need to be having alot of water anyway because you dehydrated with this so with alcohol the morning after feeling is worse.

But dont let it ruin your weekends, go out and drink but get as much water in before you sleep.

I was told by my doctor to drink in moderation because the accutane is processed in the liver just like the alcohol, so basically the two together overloads the liver. The accutane won't make you get drunk faster or make you break out, but it will be harmful to your liver. Also I was told not to take Tylenol because that is also processed in the liver, choose an ibuprofen (Advil) instead.

Also my pills always come with a sticker on it that says "do not take with alcohol", doesn't anyone else’s?

Drinking alcohol is fine but do cut down the intake as you don't want to overload your liver with too much stuff. The only problem is you can't swallow an accutane pill with alcohol at the same time. Too much strain for the liver at one time and I think alcohol interferes in the breakdown of accutane as well. Take accutane a few hours after alcohol.

Weed should be fine also. I don't smoke weed but people on these forums who smoked it while on accutane said they are ok. However, some people reportedly broke out real bad while smoking weed so its also quite a risk to take, after all you are on accutane in the first place to clear acne isn't it? There have also been reports about weed worsening depression while on accutane.

My derm never mentioned anything about not drinking alcohol, but thats me onto my last box, about another week or so of pills left and ive been drinking the same amount as i was before, every wednesday, most days after university and at the weekends, however i didn't effect me any differently. sometimes i would get really drunk...but no hangover - a first for me! while...2 bottles and the next morning i would have a banging headache and that wasnt getting drunk of course. everyone is different however, and some people may not have the same experience with alcohol in which i have had. Also when i went for my first blood test before i was prescribed accutane, i was kinda hungover :( my bad i know, however when i went for my second blood test he was very happy with my results..strange! haha

On another note, my skin is soooo much better! my skin isn't half as dry, scalp not sore or dry aswel...though the lips still suck!

Good luck with your course! :)

I'm not condemning anyone here because I used to have a drinking problem, and I know all the joys of good ole ethanol (aka DA BOOZE), but why would you risk putting 2 noted liver damaging substances in your system at the same time. I know I know you're a hardass and this person, and that person got off fine. What if your livers functioning life was cut in half by drinking while on accutane (hypothetically ... not saying it does) would you really know a year or two or even 5 afterwards. I think that it would be something that you would reap the consequences from alot farther on down the line. So why not kick the bottle for the 5 months that your pounding your liver with accutane. And to those who say you only live once, if so dont you want that once to last as long as possible. Just my two cents :)

As for the ganja I think you're all good as far as i know.

I browsed the web a month ago looking for an answer as to whether it's OK to smoke weed while on Accutane. All answers I found from alleged medics didn't recommend smoking weed or any other cannabis derivative because of the depressive effects of weed and those of Accutane. They stated that accutane allegedly causes depression and it's known that cannabis causes that, too, and that taking both substances could lead to severe depression and/or suicidal thoughts. Having said that, I tell you from personal experience that nothing abnormal will happen to you, you'll be OK as far as I experienced. Maybe weed is also processed by the liver, I doubt it, but if so you should be careful because it can be dangerous in the long term.