Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sierralita

Has Fraxel worked for anyone?

There are hundreds of posts on this site about Fraxel and I was wondering if anyone had been following them over the months (or years) and can sum up for me whether anyone has claimed success with it.

Thank you

There are a few people on here who will tell you that it doesn't work, because it didn't work for them.

Unfortunately, what they fail to realize is any scar treatment is not a yes/no proposition. There is no treatment that works for 100% of people. If one reads through the fraxel thread, one will encounter many more people for whom fraxel has worked than for whom fraxel has not worked. I am a person for whom fraxel has worked well (you can read about my scarring and fraxels below in my sig).

The great things about fraxel are:

1. It is very low risk -- pretty unlikely that it will make anything worse.

2. It has a good chance of doing something significant for mild-moderate scars.

3. It has relatively low downtime (3-7 days).

These points differentiate fraxel from other invasive treatments (i.e., non-fractional lasers, dermabrasion, etc.):

1. Other methods have higher complication rates and many people's scarring has been exacerbated

2. Other methods have a long downtime that is impractical

These are the reasons fraxel seems to be the treatment of choice, not because it is 100% guaranteed to erase your scars...

Basically, it has very little downside with excellent potential for big upside.

There are a few people on here who will tell you that it doesn't work, because it didn't work for them.

Unfortunately, what they fail to realize is any scar treatment is not a yes/no proposition. There is no treatment that works for 100% of people. If one reads through the fraxel thread, one will encounter many more people for whom fraxel has worked than for whom fraxel has not worked. I am a person for whom fraxel has worked well (you can read about my scarring and fraxels below in my sig).

The great things about fraxel are:

1. It is very low risk -- pretty unlikely that it will make anything worse.

2. It has a good chance of doing something significant for mild-moderate scars.

3. It has relatively low downtime (3-7 days).

These points differentiate fraxel from other invasive treatments (i.e., non-fractional lasers, dermabrasion, etc.):

1. Other methods have higher complication rates and many people's scarring has been exacerbated

2. Other methods have a long downtime that is impractical

These are the reasons fraxel seems to be the treatment of choice, not because it is 100% guaranteed to erase your scars...

Basically, it has very little downside with excellent potential for big upside.

You know, I read that it worked somewhere, but I can't find the citation anymore. I would definitely ask your doc.

I know Fraxel may work for some and not for others. But, I, as well as everyone else who didn't have success, have a right to vent. We all spent our hard earned money like you and patiently waited for months and months with session after session and are understandably quite disappointed. So, basically our collective anger is not misplaced by any means. I, for one am totally sick and tired of all of these treatments failing for me. And to boot, I got more scars! People here need to know when it doesn't work. Being that it is a new treatment, there are finally people like me who are starting to surface, and I predict many more to come as more and more try it.

It's not only people on here who need to know but doctors as well. Patients need to be more upfront about their results so that these doctors can sharpen their pencils and go back to the drawing board. And believe me, I spoke to quite a few doctors who praised this treatment for depressed acne scarring before I tried it. Not one of them brought up the possibility of having absolutely no results, which I totally did not anticipate.

I feel like I did everything right. I had pateince, I stuck with the multiple sessions, went on higher settings and more coverage. I tried everything I absolutely could to make this work. So, I would I say I am pretty good source of information for people thinking about having it.

People here need to know when it doesn't work. Being that it is a new treatment, there are finally people like me who are starting to surface, and I predict many more to come as more and more try it.

Both of you should provide pictures before continuing this pointless debate. What "works" could mean something entirely different to different people.

For instance, Zonk, if you have before and after pics of your pre 6 treatments and post 6 treatments, that would help us a lot in judging for ourselves how well Fraxel worked. And Ylem as well.

Actually I just read Zonk's description of his scarring. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Fraxel seems like it worked because frankly, those scars are not deep.

Both of you should provide pictures before continuing this pointless debate.

Unfortunately I don't have pictures and don't ever plan on posting pictures. I also don't expect ylem or anyone else to post pictures.

What "works" could mean something entirely different to different people.

For instance, Zonk, if you have before and after pics of your pre 6 treatments and post 6 treatments, that would help us a lot in judging for ourselves how well Fraxel worked. And Ylem as well.

Guest delta force operators

look i aint here to start a debate, im just saying that some people get better response to treatment then others,

both of u have gotten treatments now the question to ask ur self is wether or not it has worked for u

Ylem, you do have the right to let the board know that it didn't work for you, but I'm with Zonk on this one.

I don't recall anywhere where Zonk has referred to fraxel as the holy grail or even implied it, though most of your posts pretty much imply it's the devil's work.

I come to these posts for objective observations by people in reponse to their treatments. I appreciate it didn't work for you and have taken that into consideration when I made my decision to go ahead with treatment (yes, true).

But I have ignored your emotional attacks on the procedure, as they seem to imply they made everything worse, when in fact there was apparently no effect at all.

You don't have the right to mislead others about the effects of the treatment. It definately does work for some and not others, like ALL treatments.

I'm sorry your scars cause you so much grief, but you are not the only one who has shed many tears over them. I feel it has been an eternity for me.

Zonk, I'd like to thank you for your objective and well written posts. They ALSO were taken in consideration when I made my decision to go ahead. I don't know how effective, if all, this will be. But I'm very happy I have taken the step.

Cheers

LC

Just give it up, Zonk. Fraxel is not a holy grail of treatment, despite what you think. It has its flaws and I will certainly make that clear.

My assessment IS fair. I followed directions, I did the minimum required rounds, I waited a month, I checked the settings and coverage. People need to know that this did not work for me.

I think whats clear about fraxel (from reading this board) is that if you have mild scarring there is a decent chance of improvement. That improvement may be 10% it may be more but you should get something. On the other hand i have seen many posts that say fraxel has done very little for deep scarring (maybe softened the edges slightly) so thats something to consider as well.

I personally wouldn't recommend fraxel for anyone with a lot of deep scars, but hey, if you've got money to burn then whats the worst that can happen, right? Unfortunately, most people don't have money to throw away, and thats why it gets so emotional around here.

I'm not saying I don't want to hear that Fraxel didn't work for someone, or made their scars worse. Obviously this is important to know.

But it's true that telling people not to try something might not be the right thing, because clearly this is a weird realm where some things really work for some and not others. If something doesn't work EVER for ANYONE, we need to know that.

Case in point, I LOVED my CO2 laser treatment and I'm amazed to hear that it didn't do anything for other people (and very sorry to hear it). So if I took people's advice on this site and didn't get ti done, I'd still have tons of scars that are now gone. Now I have new ones . . but not the fault of the laser.