Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am getting married in next month and my skin gets really oily a lot. I've tried different cleansers, but all they do is make my face feel really dry and cause it to get oilier. Any tips?

Hmm, this is VERY tough for me too.

I'd say, go with a gentle cleanser, so you won't damage your skin. The only way I can control my oily skin is use oil blotting papers. They're great. I just bring a pack with me and every 2 hours or so I'd slip into the bathroom and blot, blot, blot. Perfect matte skin when I walk out!

You'll find oil papers in drug stores.

I've tried different cleansers, but all they do is make my face feel really dry and cause it to get oilier.

^ well i guess she experienced an increase in oil excreting out of her pores after she used the cleanser. I guess that happens. For her? For some?

I feel that there is going to be that "no cleansers and overwashing does not cause more oil" and "oh yes it does!!!" argument.

Geez. Not everyone has the same skin.

Does eating spicy food cause people to get a runny nose (like I do)? My Thai and Korean friends would probably say no. But for me, it does! We're all different, genetically.

(and my goodness are you, Bryan, really 57 years old?! No wonder you disagree with the feedback theory. At your age you're probably depleted of testosterone so your pores are pretty much dormant. Acne advice from a senior... sheesh! I could basically slather bacon grease on my grandmas face and she won't get a single pimple [probably helps with her wrinkles!])

^ well i guess she experienced an increase in oil excreting out of her pores after she used the cleanser. I guess that happens. For her? For some?

I am getting married in next month and my skin gets really oily a lot. I've tried different cleansers, but all they do is make my face feel really dry and cause it to get oilier. Any tips?

Most skin care products for oily skin have a lot of alcohol in them, specifically SD40 alcohol, which strips the acid mantle from the skin and is very drying which often kicks the sebaceous glands into overdrive so they produce even more oil.

Any product with glycolic in it should help. I have fairly oily skin and Glytone has helped alot with getting rid of the excess oil.

Most skin care products for oily skin have a lot of alcohol in them, specifically SD40 alcohol, which strips the acid mantle from the skin and is very drying which often kicks the sebaceous glands into overdrive so they produce even more oil.

It's time to join the 21st Century, dear. Dryness of the skin doesn't have any influence on sebaceous glands in producing oil. The glands produce oil on a steady basis (set by various hormonal factors), without regard to how much oil is already on the surface of the skin.

It's time to join the 21st Century, dear. Dryness of the skin doesn't have any influence on sebaceous glands in producing oil. The glands produce oil on a steady basis (set by various hormonal factors), without regard to how much oil is already on the surface of the skin.

I found clay to be very helpful at reducing oiliness. Basically I applied a clay mask for about 15m before showering, then while showering I just washed my face with a gentle cleanser... It helps with blackheads as well and it's pretty cheap, so I'd say it's worth a shot. :>

Bryan, so what do YOU recommend for stopping oil?

I don't pretend to have any good answers for "stopping" oil (maybe controlling oil is a better term to use for that).

A course of Accutane can sharply reduce the actual sebum production rate by as much as 90% or so, but that seems to be just a temporary effect. It eventually goes back to "normal", in most cases. Steady use of low-dose Accutane is still very experimental.

Sebaceous glands are exquisitely sensititve to androgenic stimulation, so the use of antiandrogens or 5a-reductase inhibitors (assuming you use the right kind) ought to help in reducing the production rate of sebum, but there are serious problems associated with that option, too: it's too dangerous (lots of side-effects) for men to use systemic antiandrogens, although that _may_ be an option for women. Topical antiandrogens are an option for both sexes, but the ones we have available today (like spironolactone) don't seem to be terribly effective at blocking androgens. Other experimental ones (17a-propylmesterolone and RU58841) are more effective as topical agents, but they aren't available commercially.

Ketoconazole shampoo (Nizoral) was shown to reduce the size of sebaceous glands in the scalp by about 20% in one small study, so I've suggested washing your face with Nizoral, if you don't find it too irritating. Coal-tar shampoo does the same thing, according to one study I've seen, but the stuff is awfully smelly! :)

There may also be other hormonal factors which can be influenced by dietary choices which can affect sebum production to some degree, but I've always been rather skeptical of that approach (keep in mind that when someone claims to have "broken out" after eating a certain food, not by any stretch of the imagination does that necessarily mean that sebum production was altered in any way).

I'm profoundly skeptical of the claim that massive doses of pantothenic acid can reduce sebum. I've seen a serious study or two claiming to find a noticeable reduction in sebum with the use of zinc supplements, but the doses were pretty large, and that's worrisome to me.

It may be that there just isn't any really good way (yet) to control the actual production of sebum, and all you can do is wash it off more frequently, or use blotting papers, and hope that you eventually grow out of it.

i was pretty much in that same situation for as long as i could remember...to the extent where i was using a pack of the oil blotting tissues every week and a half. nothing ever worked...switching cleansers, using toners etc etc. honestly i would still have an oil problem but i decided to see a doctor about laser treatments and for $350, and about a week of recovery i have ceased to have any type of oil problem whatsoever. if you are really serious about fixing this problem, go see a doctor, so fucking worth it.

A gentle cleanser and a mattifying moisturiser is what i use for my oily skin.

After washing, my skin goes really oily in like 2 hours (it becomes oily after an hour, then gets worse)

But if i use my mattifying moisturiser, i can go all day without being a grease monkey (though after like 6 hours, my skin starts to go oily very slowly)

But if i use my mattifying moisturiser, i can go all day without being a grease monkey (though after like 6 hours, my skin starts to go oily very slowly)

Jesus, is anyone willing to help this girl? Or is Bryan going to sit here and just try to make an ass out of everyone. Go away. People are actually trying to ask legitimate questions on here for the sake of maybe finding some help. All you do is bash and jump on everyone for everything.

Ive used a mattifying moisturizers before. Ive been to 3 derms in the past year not including the few estheticians I've visited, and all of them recommended a mattifying moisturizer. I asked what it was and they said basically they include ingredients in them that help absorb excess oil and give your face more of a "matte" look instead of looking oily and shiny. To the girl who posted this topic, I would recommend one of those, they arent a miracle, but they help a lot with the shine.

My favorite one was by La Roche Posay, but there are others. Heres the one site I order off of, if im allowed to post it, they have a ton of different mattifying moisturizers.

http://www.dermstore.com/profile_Mattifiers_300030.htm

i decided to see a doctor about laser treatments and for $350, and about a week of recovery i have ceased to have any type of oil problem whatsoever.

Do you remember what type of laser they used?

There are also drugstore brands you can buy. Biore makes a pretty good oil control moisturizer (Shine Control). Neutrogena makes a few for combination skin which you might like since it would/should control oil without drying out your face and making those oil glands work double.

When you're looking for moisturizers, watch for anything that's shine control, for oily skin, or combination skin. Those may be very helpful.

Neutrogena makes a few for combination skin which you might like since it would/should control oil without drying out your face and making those oil glands work double.

Neutrogena makes a few for combination skin which you might like since it would/should control oil without drying out your face and making those oil glands work double.

Oh, well...at the very least, you were cautious enough to insert the word should in that claim! ;)