Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have no problem seeing my current friends and hanging out with them, and I'm also quite open to meeting new people now since I no longer have severe acne, but I just refuse to see my old friends.

I think it could be due to the fact that all my old friends were good looking. Back in the days a couple of years ago we were all together and people regarded us as this "good looking group" (so I heard from my other friends who said that younger female students called us that). I never thought I was good looking but since I was little people have always said I'm good looking, and I think this made me a vain and self conscious person.

And then I had a severe acne breakout near the end of last year. I was scared of meeting anyone. The first week of going back to my university after that breakout was probably the worst period of my life so far. One of my friends actually thought I had chicken pox, and while no one teased me at all (people are are great) my confidence was at zero. All the "good looking" comments from people dried up.

And then february this year I had another massive breakout. And my self esteem dropped further, but since this breakout I began leading a healthier lifestyle and i no longer have much active acne, only the damn red marks and scars. Since then a few people have started saying I'm good looking again and I've regained part of my confidence.

But I'm just unable to meet my old friends, who I have never seen since before my first breakout. They have called me out many times and each time I give a different retarded excuse. I'm quite sure they would have suspected something. My mom has said that the first time I meet with them it will be hard but after the first time I wont feel bad at all, and I guess that's true and yet I just do not want to see them yet. In my mind I'm always thinking "wait till my marks and scars all clear up and then I'll see them" but I'm not sure if my scars will ever disappear.

I also dislike being this vain about how I look, but I just cant help it. On occasions I will think "looks arent that important" but most of the time I'm worried I will never be good looking again. I'm sure most guys dont think this much about their looks?

I dont even know what I'm trying to ask, I just needed to type this out.

I feel for you, this must be really annoying...im sure theyre nice yet you dont want them to be quietly thinking that you have got less good looking since they last saw you. i guess only you can decide if you want to stay friends or if its more important to you for them to remember you as perfect looking.

Also, maybe some of them developed acne as well?

You should meet them. I doubt they would care whether or not you have acne, they probably just want to see you and how you've changed.

In fact you could probably even complain to them, like "man, this acne sucks, remember how we were all called the good looking group.. and now this freaking acne shows up for no good reason?"

I know it's hard, but try to see them. A few months back, I saw some old friends from over a year ago that saw me with perfectly clear skin. When I saw them again, I had active acne still left from my severe acne outbreak and a lot of scarring. It was hard, and I was self-conscious. But now we hang out all the time. They don't seem to care. I still have tons of red marks and lots of scars.

i think that reason is the cue of emtional discharge and depression from acne.

because we shy away from our current friends and or like you mention,

refuse to see old friends. because you are a different person than last time

they have know you as. but deep inside you miss that so much. your old friends/

I too experienced the same thing. It does suck, even though i know my friends won't really care how I look. I just can't shake the feeling of looking like shite.

i understand where you are coming from but..come on :rolleyes: . if they were really your friends they wouldn't care about your acne. i think you care way too much about what others think. you shouldn't look to other people to boost your confidence all your life. u dnt need people to tell u ur good looking if you really believe it. it seems like you need other peoples approval to feel good about yourself. the only persons approval you need to know to feel good about yourself is your own..

I really have to agree here :).

Honestly, emotional, etc. problems from acne can cause someone to become shy, I know that well. But, if you can't bring yourself to meet your "friends," because of something such as acne, I would honestly rethink the situation. No offense, but in my opinion, I wouldn't consider someone my friend, if they were too afraid to talk to me because of acne of all problems ;)

People tend to worry over acne to an extreme, and don' stop to realize, that a large majority of others don't even noticeit. Or when they do, could hardly care less. I'm sure most have gone through it, or are still in the cycle (even though their skin may look good from your point of view). Go meet them, have fun, and stop your worrying :P