Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HOLLYMH84

Water & Acne

Has anyone ever heard of the water you use causing acne? Last summer I had horrible acne - moved away for 8 months & was acne free - now I am back and have horrible acne again. The only thing that could be different is the water is different in the places - one is near the beach & the other is not. Has anyone heard anything like this or think it could be true??? ANd know any advice that I could do? I am 23 years old & I am just now getting acne.. it doesn't make sense?

It could also be the climate. I know in Cali, being near the beach means you have a moderate climate and a bit of humidity, and being away from the beach means you have much less humidity, colder winters, hotter summers. Even being 10 miles from the beach has an effect. I'm guessing in other places there's some effect, thought it might not be as strong.

Then again, water could possibly be a cause. I just think weather is more likely to directly affect your face than water type.

I experience almost the exact same problem. While at school(my college is about 3 hours from my home so the climate isn't much different) I get breakouts, but never when I'm at home. I've also thought that the problem may be the water. My friend who is a science major did an experiment on our water for class and found that we have extremely hard water here. I don't really know exactly what that means, but figured that might support the idea that changes in water can affect acne.

I experience almost the exact same problem. While at school(my college is about 3 hours from my home so the climate isn't much different) I get breakouts, but never when I'm at home. I've also thought that the problem may be the water. My friend who is a science major did an experiment on our water for class and found that we have extremely hard water here. I don't really know exactly what that means, but figured that might support the idea that changes in water can affect acne.

i have had the opposite effect. i went to hk for about 2 weeks where humidity and air pollution is high. although my face was greasy as, i didn't once breakout. as soon as i came back home to australia where the air is dry and cleaner the lil red bastards came back.

actually i noticed that when i moved i broke out a lot less and my skin is so much softer now.... the water where i live now is much softer..

I just want to add my two cents. It could be both. Hard water caused me to have the most awful breakouts and blackheads ever. It also caused me to have horribly itchy skin on my legs and arms after I got out of the shower. Hard water mixes with soap and actually can remain in your skin. I'm not joking, you can google this, and I've seen this with my own skin. I'm from Miami, Fl but I moved up to Gainesville to go to school and for the first 2 years of my college life my skin was ridiculous and nothing could calm it down.It wasn't stress either, I love school and I think I napped and played Solitare more than anything else. My diet was crappy up to this point but it had always been since high school. I started researching the water as my face would magically clear up even for a weekend, when I went home. Turns out northern Florida area where I live has harder water than what I'm used to and I have sensitive skin as it is. I buy water now or when I drive home I bring a ridiculous amount of home water back to wash my face- it sounds crazy but while I still have break outs here and there, its nothing compared to what I was experiencing before. I suggest you get a shower filter or try for a week to wash your face with a gallon of water just to see if it is in fact the water. Hope this helps

I went through the same things when I moved. In Chicago, I went on accutane, cleared up and stayed that way for 1 year but when I moved to Cali, I started breaking out like crazy and am going back on tane. Maybe it was the water though?