Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hcashew

collagen / restylane injections

hey you guys...im thinking of getting Restylane injections this month, which is a little different than collagen, but basically the same in theory....can anybody give me some experiences with injections....i know its not permanent, but its kind of my only option to keep on top of it every few months...

thanks

thanks maya...

well, unscrewed, i have a "best of" collection of scars....i have the pick scars and i have the dents....its the dents that bother me the most....my doctor says hell only inject restylane in certain kind of scars (which, Im not sure)....two people ive known have had collagen...one with semi-positive results, the other negative....

I hear that artecoll is permanent but I have heard good and bad reviews on this filler too.

Hi hcashew, Im from australia and have had restylane done 4 times, even with active acne, so its safe if you have some flare ups still around, as long as its not injected into the pimple of course, its completely safe, and of all the times i've had it done, there were no side effects at all, except alittle pain for a few hours. In australia it cost me $395 per 0.4ml ampule, which does a fair amount. My scarring is quite deep, and it really helped. The only negetive thing i can say, is it doesn't last as long as is meant to. I was told 8-12 months, but found 3 to be more accurate. your face moves alot when talking, eating etc, so it wears down faster. It took 4 times for me to realize the cost and the time it lasts, isn't really worth it, but it might work better for you. But out of collegen and restylane, it is by far the best. Once the restylane has completely gone from my skin, ill be trying a permenant filler. Hope this helps.

you bet it does, Hatch!

One pro-filler, none post-filler

one question, Hatch....does it raise the scar to the point of making it "bumpy"? or does it even it out?

it all depends on who does it, over here, the nurses in the plastic surgery usually do the injections, so there skill may or may not be as good as the drs in these injections, just check who will be performing it. I found if the skin where the gel was injected wasn't massaged in properly, to even out the restylane, I went home with some lumps, they only lasted a week or so, but shouldn't really have been there, bad injection technique id say, needles to say, i dont go to that surgery anymore. If you have any quest on what to apply when you get home, let me know.

I'm in Melbourne Australia. Where abouts are you from? Could you explain what a permanent filler is?

Thanks.

A permenant filler means it will last in your skin forever, unlike collegen, restylane etc, that will, over time slowly reabsorb into the body. So to use these products, you have to be prepared to go back every few months to get a top up. Ill be getting aquamid done soon, its a safe permenant filler. It won't go hard under the skin like some permenants can(dermalive is quilty of this) Its just come to Australia from Europe. Im from Queensland.

Thanks Hatch, could you explain or post any links to sites with information regarding these permamnent fillers?

What are the risks involved in getting these?

hey, another question....anyone ever hear of someone getting collagen/restylane/etc. filler and it not holding in the skin?

I can't say for sure about other permenant fillers, but Aquamid, from what I've read and been told, has had no negative effects to date. Its been in use for about 10 years. There web add. is www.aquamid.info Ive never heard of any fillers that have come out of the skin, once injected.

Hatch

I just looked through the aquamid site and it does look interesting. I wish they had photos of depressed scars and ice picks being filled in though. Unfortunately, they only have photos of people wanting fuller lips!

If you find any before and after photos of scars using fillers, please post here.

Thanks!

Maya

The price i've been told in australian dollars is $1000 per 1ml ampule and also at another surgery, $1400 per 1ml ampule. So its not cheap, but i spent nearly double on restylane and only lasts a few months. As far as i know it works on all types of scars, especially the deeper ones, so that'll be perfect for me, as I was told dermabrasion and laser wouldn't give as good a result, there more for shallow scars, wrinkles, lines etc. if you would like the aquamid australian ph. no. let me know, I have it on a phamphlet I recieved from the plastic surgery.

Hi Hatch and CZ32,

I'm from Sydney so it's good to see some locals around here.

Hatch have you ever thought about fat injections, they are permanent i think. You might have to go back for revision though a few times.

It sounds like you have a few scars on your face. Where and how deep are they and where is the best place for this aquamid to be injected.

That aquamid sounds good though. Artecol is not available here.

Yeah i've heard about fat transfers but not about aquamid. I don't think the fat transfers are permanent though.

Hi will205, cz32, maya, I'm positive fat injections are not permenant, they last about as long as restylane. I don't remember where, but i read fat transfer wasn't one of the better ways to fill acne scars. I could be wrong though. I do have quite a few scars, there on my cheeks and jaw line, but i don't have any on my forehead, nose or chin, these are also the oilier parts of my face, so the oil must have helped after all:) The fact sheet i have on aquamid says its :permanent, non absorbable, biocompatible, non toxic, non allergenic, does not migrate from the injection site: It can be used for correction of many facial contour deformities. There is no calcification, no cancer causing effect. It also states that studies have shown it to have no effect on blood or enzyme activity. These are a few lines from the printout. From what I've read so far, it seems to be the safest and most stable permenant filler available so far. Hope that helps.

The good thing about the site is it has a list of doctors who can perform the procedure as well as websites and contact info. I would like to plump up my face a bit on one side but i think that the face usually fills out in time, so i don't think any doctors would recommend the procedure for me.

Hi CZ32, I'll most likely have aquamid done in the next 2 months or so. I have to wait for the restylane to dissappear first. How about you, are you going to give it a go? Do you have shallow or deep scarring?