Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been hearing lots of stuff about Dead Sea salt helping people with acne but no matter how much I google I cannot find exactly WHY it works. Does it help kill bacteria? Does it help normalize skin shedding/turnover? What's the scientific reasoning behind this?

I've been hearing lots of stuff about Dead Sea salt helping people with acne but no matter how much I google I cannot find exactly WHY it works. Does it help kill bacteria? Does it help normalize skin shedding/turnover? What's the scientific reasoning behind this?

supposedly because our soil is devoid of minerals and sea salt contains basically every trace mineral known to man. but its all worthless since diet is only a trigger and not the cause.

I have only been able to find mainly anecdotal information on the benefits of sea salt for acne. I have seen almost no good, scientific discussion on this or any research articles. My guess would be that sea salt (like any salt, really) has antibacterial and wound healing properties. Salt compresses are often used on other types of wounds, so I guess it would be no surprise if it also helped acne lesions (which are a type of skin wound - at least inflamed acne lesions are).

The salt would dehydrate the surface of the skin and pores and prevent P. Acnes from surviving. I think sand would have the same effect. Why dead sea salt... I have no idea, it may contain zinc for skin healing. Nice if a few people would try that here.

Unfortunately I don't live by the sea...

BTW my derm said something really good I can do for my face is, go body boarding and wear zinc (sunblock) on your face. Zinc sunblocks are usually made of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and along with sea water, u figure it out.

My theory is that salt, especially sea salt is not only anti-bacterial but contains healing minerals in it. Algae and salt is used in a lot of body products in Europe, at least that was my experience when I was overseas. I use Mineral Water from france on my face and it's very healing and soothing. My skin also clears up when I spend a week swimming in the ocean. So I think it does have healing properties.

I will say this. When I lived in hawaii, our neighbor jsut moved there from the Mainland and had severe psoriasis. After swimming in the ocean every day, her psoriasis almost completely healed up. When her husband retired, they decided to stay because she was finally comfortable in ehr own skin.

I got Dead Sea salt at home. Just today I mixed some with water and applied it on my face. I am gonna try it in the evenng too.Too early to judge. :rolleyes:

i fill my sink with warm water and add seasalt to it till its cloudy, then splash all over my face and neck like 200 times...feels amazing after words. oil all gone, skin feels clean and tight and its definaltly helped reduce reddness and been acting as a great antiinflammatory, i usually do it twice a day!