Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DonFlamingo

I don't use a moisturizer. Should I?

I use Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash and then BWC Balancing Toner and that's it. My face feels slightly tight and dry, but within an hour it goes away.

Should I use a moisturizer also? What are the benefits?

If I do use a moisturizer, it would be jojoba oil. Can I go to sleep with it on my face? I only wash my face in the mornings so if I applied jojoba oil would I need to wash again at night?

Thanks for any advice.

I don't think there is a single moisturizer out there that actually doesn't contain a non -comedogenic ingredient. This is why I do not use moisturizers, because my face reacts to EVERYTHING, no exagheration. Reason why most people use moisturier is to prevent dry skin, and in the run, oily skin.

So it all depends. Is your face really oily? If not I don't really see a benefit from using a moisturizer if the dryness goes away in an hour.

Time and time, people have claimed that the 3 step "cleanse, tone, moisturize" regimen is key to good skin, but the truth is, it's not. Everyone's skin is different, and cleansing is actually the only key step to skin care. I've heard toner isn't a neccessity and that sometimes, it actually doesn't help the skin that much.

As for moisturizer, it's not a neccessity, esp if you have oily skin. It's been said that simply using sunscreen on your face can work, as many sunscreens contain vitamins A, E, and C that can nourish the skin while protecting from harmful UVA/UVB rays. The only perk I've heard of moisturizer is that it can act as a barrier for protecting your skin from harmful pollutants of the environment, but then again, sunscreen could do the same job.

The only time moisturizer is absolutely needed is if you're going to apply face make up (foundation, concealer, powder).

I personally dont use moisturizers anymore. It breaks me out horribly. If you have very sensitive skin like I do, I would recommend not using a moisturizer

If your skin feels tight and dry, I would recommend using a light moisturizer...Jojoba oil would be a good choice. Desert essence makes a good jojoba oil product also. My face is very tight and dry after cleansing but goes away in a few hours, Even though it goes away, its not good for your skin, it goes away because your skin massive produces oil to combat that dryness which in turn could lead to more acne problems.

Thats one benefit. A second would be that its just protective to your skin, helps repair the barrier and keep it healthy.

And no, you wouldnt have to wash your face a second time, if you put jojoba oil on during the day, you can just leave it on until when you would normally wash your face again. Its not bad for you and it shouldnt stain bed sheets or anything, so you can sleep with it on, I used to all the time. Its oily at first but that dissolves after a minute or two.

My face is very tight and dry after cleansing but goes away in a few hours, Even though it goes away, its not good for your skin, it goes away because your skin massive produces oil to combat that dryness which in turn could lead to more acne problems.

Haha, Ive never heard that before and I highly doubt it has any clinical backing. Im going to school for chemistry so I research stuff like this cuz Im a nerd, and besides that fact most dermatologists you talk to will tell exactly what I did.

Your skin naturally produces oil, its the skins lubricant. Take a bike chain for example, you put lubricant on it, after the chain starts making annoying noises or not working as well, you put more lube on it. As I said oil is the skin natural lubricant, and just as that bike chain, when your oil dries up the skin produces more. If it didnt, then we would all be walking around with faces breaking like ceramic. When your face gets very dry, the skin senses this and produces more oil.

Sebum acts to protect and waterproof hair and skin, and keep them from becoming dry, brittle and cracked. It can also inhibit the growth of microorganisms on skin. -- Thats a bit of information I stole from a website explaining exactly what sebum or our oil does, which is basically what I explained.

Its quite simple actually, its science, and its been studied and proven time and time again.

Although I would like to know where you heard that its not true.

My skin is also very sensitive to moisturizers until I tried NeoStrata moisturizer cream. It does not have the greasy effect that other moisturizers have.

Haha, Ive never heard that before and I highly doubt it has any clinical backing. Im going to school for chemistry so I research stuff like this cuz Im a nerd, and besides that fact most dermatologists you talk to will tell exactly what I did.

Dayum, you could have PM'd them the information.

While I extremely appreciate both of your guys' help, I can't help but feel bad for the person that was just completely proven wrong. They were just trying to help.

My advice to that person is, learn from what Bryan has told you. There are some solid gems of information in there. I also thank you for trying to help. It's better than bitching and complaining.

Lastly, I'm not harping on either of you. I have oily skin and I am overjoyed that you take your valuable time to look these things up for others. Thank you!