Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I went to the my derm. today. I was on doxycyline for 8 months.... the first 5-6 months it worked perfect! I was so happy to have all my acne completely gone. But the last 3 months my face went back to square one.

So she prescribed me SOLODYN (MINOCYCLINE).

Does anyone else take it??? Does it work??? What do you think about this medicine?

I have mild-moderate acne right now. Will this stuff work for me????

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you

Karyn

ACNE = DEPRESSION

hello, i actually just started on the solodyn...(been on it for 12 days) so i think its still too soon for me to tell the pro's and con's and whether its gona work...(i am also on a topical medicine...Ziana). i NEVER had acne before (other than small little breakout here and there during my period.) I am 29 yrs old and about 3 months ago i started getting acne. my acne was mild with little bumps on side of face and i was getting these HUGE, almost boil-like breakouts on my cheeks and chin... that wouldnt go away.(so i decided it was time to go to derm)...

However, since being on the solodyn and ziana, i notice that my breakouts are not as red/big...and my face is ALOT less oily...also, less little bumps on sides of my face.

i will keep updating as needed. also, if anyone has any info on Solodyn or Ziana...please share..THANKS!

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you. I was on doxy for about 1 1/2 years (with a break after 6 months to see how I did - but the acne came back about 5 times worse than before). THe last 11 months were great, and then boom. I got a cyst. Then another, then another.

My derm switched me to minocycline about 2 weeks ago. I was on 100mg twice a day, but after about a week, I got really sick on it. So I've been lowered to one a day. I know it can take a while to start working, but in the interim, my skin is actually getting worse. In fact, I've got yet another cyst that's come in today in a matter of hours. I'm hoping that's normal and not a sign that it isn't going to work.

I guess I haven't been on in long enough to really give a good opinion, but we started around the same time, so I'd love to hear how it goes for you. Do you have an update? I hope it works for both of us! Good luck!

I have been on Solodyn for a long time and it does work, but the results aren't immediate. Make sure you read the instructions with it, though- no vitamins or supplements with in 2 hours before/after. Good luck!

I have been in mino for a little over 3 months now, also with a topical cream. Retisol A. I had THE worst IB ever on it, and then it worked for about 2 weeks and then i got my period and once again pimples everywhere... even in places I didnt used to get it.

It might work for you but I wasnt lucky with it. Im going to be talking to my doctor about going on Spiro.

Good luck! Hope it works for you.

Since you said you have mild to moderate acne i think it will work for you. I have been on mincin twice the first time was last summer when I broke out badly i would classify my acne as moderate to severe nodular acne my derm. put me on minocin for a month and my acne cleared up. But histrory repeated itself again and i broke out this summer also my derm. put me on a larger dose of minocin i was on it for 2months and it did nothing for me i guess my body is resistant to it now so for me its on to accutane. Hopefully it works for you be patient and good luck.

I began taking 45 mg.solodyn(p.m.) 19 days ago, along w/100 mg. spiro(p.m.) It seems to be getting better but I'm very stressed(moved, lost my job, may have to have surgery to remove cysts on ovaries:( Derm also prescribed rosac(sulfur-basrd moisturizer w/sunscreen(smells very strong and makes me feel nauseous:( Also gave me samples of brevoxyl to wash face w/a.m. Stopped using brevoxyl(too strong?), and didn't take spiro todayIlegs are tingling/twitching, cramping of feet, feel very tired and lethargic, and am having difficulty w/healthy diet due to staying away from potassium and dairy. I don't feel very good taking spiro it messes w/your electolyte levels, bp, and periods. I got mine again after 2 ninths w/o(and I'm perimenopausal!! Also before taking spiro please check out the side effects. I'm going to talk to the dr. or nurse tomorrow about the side effects I'm experiencing.....org. appt. 09/18.....returned on 09/23 due to itchy eyelids and jawline. I've been trying to determine whats causing the allergic reaction w/o going to an allergist. Hope these meds. work for you if that's what you choose. I'm thinking natural supplements next, I've been battling w/thins for 43 tes.:(

yeah i "USED" to be on it and i lived for that stuff... it DID take awhile for it too kick in but i no doubtedly works.... the only thing i have a concern about is the risk that some insurances might not cover it.... i was on it (long story short my insurance got shut off, it got turned back on months later) supposedly solodyn changed its ingredients and the insurance doesnt cover it! bull! i checked its website and there has been no changes to it what-so-ever!

anyone else know anthing i dont?

I was prescribed Minocycline today along with 30 days worth of Solodyn samples. So we'll see how that goes. I was told if I had no success after 3 months, I'd be put back on Accutane.

I, too, am dying to know about the effectiveness of SOLODYN. After having beautifully clear skin all my adult life thanks to avoidance of sun exposure, regimented skin care and good nutrition, my skin went out of whack--specifically around the jaw line--due to an inordinate amount of stress at work, in which my life was (literally) threatened. I involuntarily lost 20 lbs. in three months and my hair started falling out secondary to stress and hormonal fluctuations.

When I saw my derm. the other day, for my f/u appt. I, again, broke out in tears as I feel completely and utterly helpless. Prior to this appt., I had tried Doxycycline, Derma Wand, expensive facials, Ziana (read: AWFUL), Lavender Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Epiduo, etc. In addition, I am on the phone nearly every day with my girlfriend, who is an esthetician. Unfortunately, she lives over an hour away, so can't offer me "hands on" help. She assures me that this will pass, yet this vicious cycle has been going on now for about a year.

I already have Mirena, so no birth control can help to regulate my hormones. I am DESPERATE and completely and utterly depressed! While vanity may be a sin, there is no worse curse than for an adult woman to break out uncontrollably. While men are judged on their successes, women are judged on our appearances. All I want to do now is stay in my apt., and avoid people. I cry nearly every other day because of my skin and dread meeting new people.

hello, i actually just started on the solodyn...(been on it for 12 days) so i think its still too soon for me to tell the pro's and con's and whether its gona work...(i am also on a topical medicine...Ziana). i NEVER had acne before (other than small little breakout here and there during my period.) I am 29 yrs old and about 3 months ago i started getting acne. my acne was mild with little bumps on side of face and i was getting these HUGE, almost boil-like breakouts on my cheeks and chin... that wouldnt go away.(so i decided it was time to go to derm)...

However, since being on the solodyn and ziana, i notice that my breakouts are not as red/big...and my face is ALOT less oily...also, less little bumps on sides of my face.

i will keep updating as needed. also, if anyone has any info on Solodyn or Ziana...please share..THANKS!

I had an AWFUL experience with Ziana. I "Googled" reviews about it like it was my 2nd job (!!!) and the reviews were completely subjective. So, if you feel it's been effective for you so far, it might just work. Everyone's body chemistry is different, but keep in mind--in case your derm. didn't "warn" you--it may purge your skin, first, meaning EVERYTHING underneath will surface! This is what happened to me, and it was unbearable! Remember, too, to use it sparingly. It can be extremely irritating, and is not meant to be used as a "spot treatment." Good luck!

Minocycline is absolutely horrible stuff for acne! It also contains a milk protein called Lactose Monohydrate as a binder. Yes, this has been your public service message for the day for the heinous Minocycline. I'd also like to say that men are judged just as harshly as women when it comes to broken out, acne-scarred skin...you know what, men are probably looked down upon even more!

Edited by CoolGuy68

I know exactly how you are feeling! I had clear skin all throughout highschool and my early twenties. About a year after having my second child I started breaking out uncontrollable. I had cystic acne, black heads, and white heads. I have been battling it for about 7 years now and have tried everything. I have completely lost all of my confidence and spiraled into a deep depression. My sister had adult acne as well and she tells me that I notice it more than other people, but when I look in the mirror all I see are horrible scars and disgusting pimples. I have tried everything and it is very frustrating. My derm just put me on Solodyn antibiotic and BenzaClin topical. I have only been on it for about 2 weeks, but it does seem to be helping a bit. I wish you the greatest of luck with your battle because as I know it seems never ending! Only time will tell. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the solodyn works.

I, too, am dying to know about the effectiveness of SOLODYN. After having beautifully clear skin all my adult life thanks to avoidance of sun exposure, regimented skin care and good nutrition, my skin went out of whack--specifically around the jaw line--due to an inordinate amount of stress at work, in which my life was (literally) threatened. I involuntarily lost 20 lbs. in three months and my hair started falling out secondary to stress and hormonal fluctuations.

When I saw my derm. the other day, for my f/u appt. I, again, broke out in tears as I feel completely and utterly helpless. Prior to this appt., I had tried Doxycycline, Derma Wand, expensive facials, Ziana (read: AWFUL), Lavender Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Epiduo, etc. In addition, I am on the phone nearly every day with my girlfriend, who is an esthetician. Unfortunately, she lives over an hour away, so can't offer me "hands on" help. She assures me that this will pass, yet this vicious cycle has been going on now for about a year.

I already have Mirena, so no birth control can help to regulate my hormones. I am DESPERATE and completely and utterly depressed! While vanity may be a sin, there is no worse curse than for an adult woman to break out uncontrollably. While men are judged on their successes, women are judged on our appearances. All I want to do now is stay in my apt., and avoid people. I cry nearly every other day because of my skin and dread meeting new people.

I really don't know what to do with my skin either. I've had severe acne since I was 13, I am now 25 years old. I don't see it going away anytime soon, as I have cysts all over my face. Acne runs in my family. I have a sister who is in her late 30s who is still suffering from acne. I have been on doxycycline 100mg capsules twice a day; that didn't work. I have used in the past, retin-A gel, proactive, clean and clear spot treatment, differin .05 and differin 0.1%, tazorac cream, clinique acne system and so many more that I can't even remember. I wash my face every morning and night. I am also on Brevicon oral contraceptives. The Tazorac cream did help for the first week, then I started getting cysts again...probably due to my period starting. I am currently trying something I read on here. I'm using apple cider vinegar on my face and night along with tea tree oil, and taking Zinc once a day. The cysts seems to have gone down but I'm getting so many white, itchy white heads in clusters.

On a lighter note, if you are on Solodyn, Ziana, Loprox or Vanos, there are coupons our there that will bring the prices for Solodyn and Loprox down to $10 and Vanos and Ziana down to $20 for those who are unisured, or even if you are insured. Just visit this website and find out more

As for all other topical creams, make sure you look online for coupons and rebates, they are out there. My only problem is I don't have the means to go see a dermatologist to get those prescriptions anymore.

Good luck to all!

I know exactly how you are feeling! I had clear skin all throughout highschool and my early twenties. About a year after having my second child I started breaking out uncontrollable. I had cystic acne, black heads, and white heads. I have been battling it for about 7 years now and have tried everything. I have completely lost all of my confidence and spiraled into a deep depression. My sister had adult acne as well and she tells me that I notice it more than other people, but when I look in the mirror all I see are horrible scars and disgusting pimples. I have tried everything and it is very frustrating. My derm just put me on Solodyn antibiotic and BenzaClin topical. I have only been on it for about 2 weeks, but it does seem to be helping a bit. I wish you the greatest of luck with your battle because as I know it seems never ending! Only time will tell. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the solodyn works.