Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have had acne for many years now, since I was graduating 8th grade it started and I've had it all the way up until my freshman year of college. It kills self-esteem some nights and it just sucks because I go out a lot and some nights I just don't even let myself go out because it's so and I want it to heal.

I used to suffer back acne and shoulders and chest, but it all went away over time and I barely worry about that anymore. My main focus is my face. I get acne on my lower cheeks, on my jaw lines, and near my chin (not in the center but on the sides of my chin). It's embarassing and it makes me look/feel dirty. I am very cleanly, I take care of my pillows and sheets each week. I eat very healthy these days, (I've lost about 10 pounds from changing my bad eating habits that I felt contributed towards my acne). I weigh 197, I am a pretty active guy, but for some reason I don't understand what is wrong with me.

I have tried many products, but now I am currently trying a Regimen mix. I also take an antibiotic and a multivitamin (learned about how Vitamin A, B, C and Zinc are contributive towards acne healing). I drink a lot of water, natural decaffinated green tea, etc.

I believe I however, just have sensitive skin. Though it gets dry, it doesn't get as dry as I believe some people have to go through, but it seems like if I even allow some bacteria to touch my face it will break out. I know this sounds STUPID, but is there anyway to desensitize skin? It sounds stupid but honestly, I just want this acne to go away, it's the one bad thing in my life that causes me to be upset.

If anyone has any product use who may suffer the same acne as me, or ANYTHING they can suggest, please do. I am seriously thinking about Accutane or something else of that nature-- even though the side effects are pretty risky-- when I look at the cost-benefit of it all, my self-esteem might be worth the potential side effects.

I know how you feel. I have very sensitive skin, as well. Whenever I start a new product, I always seem to break out a little. Since I've been continuing with the same products for the past few weeks, my breakouts have almost stopped. I know this is only from the antibiotic I'm using that's finally kicking in, but my skin feels so much nicer now that I've stopped over-washing it. I notice that my skin is much less red and dehydrated when I stick with the same products and wash only twice a day. If it weren't for my red marks, I'd have a great deal more confidence. :rolleyes:

I don't think there's anything that can desensitize skin, though I wish there was. I think the best thing to do is to keep your skin moisturized and soft and don't over-wash or irritate it. Make sure your cleansers/topicals/scrubs are very gentle, and wash with cool water, not hot. If your skin starts feeling dehydrated, I'll usually try to be more gentle with my skin and use oil-blotting papers instead of a washing it during the day.

My skin gets really sensitive from the antibiotic I'm on, but since I started doing these little things, it's a lot more hydrated and a lot less irritated. :)

All the best!

Thanks for the reply! What antibiotic are you currently on and is it for acne or just something else? I use lukewarm to cool water when I wash as well and moisturize often. I use a MaMa lotion as a spot healer (to weaken pustules) and it literally works over night, but it leaves a dry spot where it was, so it has a downside :(

Thanks for the reply! What antibiotic are you currently on and is it for acne or just something else? I use lukewarm to cool water when I wash as well and moisturize often. I use a MaMa lotion as a spot healer (to weaken pustules) and it literally works over night, but it leaves a dry spot where it was, so it has a downside :(

I'm using Clindamycin in lotion form. Halloween will make it six weeks since I started using it, and it's really been reducing my acne. Everything I have now are just little flesh-toned dots here and there (two on forehead, two on left cheek, one on right, two on nose, etc). I really love this product, but because it's an antibiotic, I'm only planning on using it until I'm completely clear. After that, I'll want to start on another bacteria-killing product and switching between that and Clindamycin so my skin doesn't grow immune to the antibiotic. I don't know if that'll work or not, but since this has been working so well for me, I figure it's worth a try. ;)

I'm using Clindamycin in lotion form. Halloween will make it six weeks since I started using it, and it's really been reducing my acne. Everything I have now are just little flesh-toned dots here and there (two on forehead, two on left cheek, one on right, two on nose, etc). I really love this product, but because it's an antibiotic, I'm only planning on using it until I'm completely clear. After that, I'll want to start on another bacteria-killing product and switching between that and Clindamycin so my skin doesn't grow immune to the antibiotic. I don't know if that'll work or not, but since this has been working so well for me, I figure it's worth a try. ;)

Thanks for the knowledge :) Clindamycin is prescribed right? I am going to ask for that at the dermatologist tomorrow. I have heard a lot of people having success with it and I really want to give it a try.

Where exactly do you get this Cetaphil cleanser that everyone talks about too?

Thanks for the knowledge :) Clindamycin is prescribed right? I am going to ask for that at the dermatologist tomorrow. I have heard a lot of people having success with it and I really want to give it a try.

Where exactly do you get this Cetaphil cleanser that everyone talks about too?

Yes, it's prescription. :) You can get Cetaphil at Walmart, Wallgreens, etc. Best of luck!