Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spider-man

can home microdermabrasion make scars worse?

is it possible? ive been using the zenmed scar removal and i really cant tell if its doing anything or making it worse, it seems more reddish to me

i have slightly pitted scars that i wanted to get rid of, not super deep but looks a bit ice pick like so

Doubtful. At home kits are quite gentle and really don't penetrate the deeper layers of your skin (where the ice pick scars might be wider). This is why they probably won't help scarring significantly, but it's always worth a shot. I plan to try it once my skin heals more and I have an OK from my derm. I used to use those kits a lot before my skin got bad and I liked it.

I tried a Neutrogena microdermabrasion kit for a few nights, and it improved the appearance of my scars by softening my skin. My skin was more radiant, etc. HOWEVER, I started breaking out really bad a couple of weeks ago, and I think it was caused by the irritation from the microderm machine. Just a word of caution. I don't think I will use it again, but I'd like to find some type of substitute like a peel or something to get that softness. It was really nice.

I tried a Neutrogena microdermabrasion kit for a few nights, and it improved the appearance of my scars by softening my skin. My skin was more radiant, etc. HOWEVER, I started breaking out really bad a couple of weeks ago, and I think it was caused by the irritation from the microderm machine. Just a word of caution. I don't think I will use it again, but I'd like to find some type of substitute like a peel or something to get that softness. It was really nice.

^ It shouldn't. Sunken scars cannot get more sunken from scar treatments, as far as I am aware. The only scars that I have heard that can possibly get worse are ice pick scars, and this is only if the whole top layer of the skin is removed (i.e. dermabrasion, strong peels). I don't use machines for microdermabrasion, by the way. I use the L'Oreal at home microdermabrasion, where you use your fingers, and I'm very gentle with it. Well I used to use this before my acne, I haven't used it since. Anyway, these kits can make your overall skin texture look better over the course of weeks, if you use it regularly (2x/week). And results will be close to what you would get if you went for a microdermabrasion treatment in a derm's office according to the info that comes with it. But you do have to keep using it. But do not use it more than 2-3x a week at most.

^ It shouldn't. Sunken scars cannot get more sunken from scar treatments, as far as I am aware. The only scars that I have heard that can possibly get worse are ice pick scars, and this is only if the whole top layer of the skin is removed (i.e. dermabrasion, strong peels). I don't use machines for microdermabrasion, by the way. I use the L'Oreal at home microdermabrasion, where you use your fingers, and I'm very gentle with it. Well I used to use this before my acne, I haven't used it since. Anyway, these kits can make your overall skin texture look better over the course of weeks, if you use it regularly (2x/week). And results will be close to what you would get if you went for a microdermabrasion treatment in a derm's office according to the info that comes with it. But you do have to keep using it. But do not use it more than 2-3x a week at most.

the one i currently use recommend using it 5 times a day, take 5 days off, repeat the same procedure

it requires to rub in circular motion for 30sec-1min in the affected areas

mine seems more reddish but i dunno, ive never felt comfortable with exfoliating method but i hate these scars even more

Microdermabrasion of any kind won't do jack for scars of any signficant depth.

This is true. It may only improve superficial scars. But it does make your skin look more smooth and radiant overall. It's worth a try in my opinion.

I used my fingers to rub on the microdermabrasion cream, i dont want to use a machine because it looks too harsh

i dunno, the redness hasnt really diminished