Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

From the Acne.org page on OTC acne medications....

"Sulfur provides peeling and drying of the skin. Although it is effective at breaking down existing blackheads and whiteheads, it may also promote the development of new ones by increasing cell adhesion."

What's the story here? Is sulfur a good option for acne treatment or not? I can't find anything to back this up.

Anyone?

"Sulfur provides peeling and drying of the skin. Although it is effective at breaking down existing blackheads and whiteheads, it may also promote the development of new ones by increasing cell adhesion."

What's the story here? Is sulfur a good option for acne treatment or not? I can't find anything to back this up.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Check out my most recent post. I would not recommend applying sulfur directly to the skin as it will stink to high hell for a very long time and also probably cause one heck of a lot of irritation.

"Sulfur is considered a skin and eye irritant (1, 242, 223, 207)."

http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/sulfur.htm

You can buy pure sulfur for $8-12/kilogram and make an ointment/cream from that.

There's a sulfur soap here: http://sal3.com/

And there are sulfur preparations available too, under the following names: Plexion TS, Plexion, Plexion Sct, Rosula Aqueous Gel, Rosula, Clenia, Rosanil, Sulfacet-R, Zetacet, AVAR Cleanser, AVAR-e, AVAR-e Green, Rosac Cream w/Sunscreens, Suphera, AVAR Gel

Studies:

The use of sulfur in dermatology.

Gupta AK, Nicol K.

Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook And Women's College Health Science Center, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. [email protected]

Sulfur has antifungal, antibacterial, and keratolytic activity. In the past, its use was widespread in dermatological disorders such as acne vulgaris, rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff, pityriasis versicolor, scabies, and warts. Adverse events associated with topically applied sulfur are rare and mainly involve mild application site reactions. Sulfur, used alone or in combination with agents such as sodium sulfacetamide or salicylic acid, has demonstrated efficacy in the treatment of many dermatological conditions.

PMID: 15303787 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I was on Sulfacet, which has sulfur and another sulfur compound in it. It wasn't irritating at all (I have pretty sensitive skin), and seemingly worked wonders when I behaved and actually used it. That said, it's pretty much for night use only, unless you like walking around smelling like brimstone.

i use grandpas thylox sulfur soap and i have seen amazing results by using this soap. ive tried everything from dkr to accutane and nothing else worked as well and as quickly. there is something to be said about everything-some say bp causes tumors, sa causes breakouts and irritates the eyes, accutane causes liver problems and hair loss,retin-a causes excessive peeling and the list goes on and on. you have to take a chance on something. personally the only problem ive had in the months that ive been using the sulfur soap is a little dryness here and there. i wish i had known about this soap years ago- it would have saved me a lot of tears.

yea..and i use queen helenes mint julep mask which i believe has sulfur in it...i absolutely love it..maybe its the amount of sulfur in a product that determines its irritability factor?

I was on Sulfacet, which has sulfur and another sulfur compound in it. It wasn't irritating at all (I have pretty sensitive skin), and seemingly worked wonders when I behaved and actually used it. That said, it's pretty much for night use only, unless you like walking around smelling like brimstone.