Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MICROWAVEOVEN

HELP ME ACNE GURUS, I WANDER LOST

so i spent a lot of time writing out a post earlier...and i was really excited about it. but i dont see it. so i guess i will just give you the short version...its that time of the month for me (IM a WOMAN!) and i am supppeerr frustrated about my first post (wooh...pop the cherry...) not showing up. but i guess i cant really be sarcastic on here, i dont think sarcasm translates well on the internet. goddamn dorm hall internet connections...

okay im over it! I WANT YOU GUYS TO FIX ME UP! I have been stalking the boards for a few weeks now, reading and learning about this lovely skin infliction, and i have definitely used some of the things i have read on here (though i now question some of those methods and theories...but hey, im an overeager beginner...everyone makes mistakes)

SO heres my tragedy... failed sarcasm again

I have always had very oily skin, but it never was much of a problem. I thought it was pretty gross, but wiping my face or swiping on powder is not that hard to do. I had tiny fleshy bumps on my chin, but nothing else. BUT something seems to have changed. I was totally freaked out at first...AM I HAVING A SECOND COMING OF PUBERTY? I thought it was quite obnoxious and odd that i am in college...and researching zitty creams...but it seems like a lot of women (i dont really think of myself as a WOMAN...more like a girl) have their first breakouts in their early 20s. FREAKING AWESOME. whats really frightening is how quickly it has progressed. it started in august with just those little fleshy bumps turning up more on my chin and creeping onto the sides of my face. ehhh...i could deal with that. i bought some paulas choice bha 2% and they started to clear up. for a little while...then BAM! FLESHY BUMPS HAVE TAKEN OVER. they are now all over my cheeks, on my chin, in my nasolabial folds and i got blackheads on either sides of my nose. so i started to get really freaked out. it just looked strange. but i still didnt have any redness or inflamed zitties. until NOW. About 3 weeks ago i started getting the actual ZITS! no cysts or nodules or anything like that, just red zits (ya know...the ones that get pus or whatever....mmm). so now i am hiding in my room. and reading acne.org

BUT I WANNA BEAT THIS SHIT. AND I HAVE SOME OPTIONS. i just dont know which course to take. my derm back home (she is amazing, i miss her and love her) wants to put me on spiro when i go back in december and she is going to let me do 1/2 laser treatments (i think its called cool touch...its for acne scars i think...but she said it would help with oil),but she said she cant prescribe something like spiro over the phone in another state...so she gave me some scrips to "manage" until then. i told her i didnt really want to do any harsh topicals or retin-a cause i dont want to have to deal with all this crap coming up and breaking me out more, and my face being even more red and flaky and irritated. i just want to finish my semester and have fun and not worry about my goddamn face. its shitty that im letting it effect me this much...i dont know, i havent really had time to get used to it i guess. ANYWAY she called in scrips for cephalexin, doryx, some sal acid wipes (dont know what they are called, will find out when i pick them up), clindamycin lotion, and prednisone. i think the prednisone is supposed to be 'just in case' because i changed from Ortho tri-cyclen (have been on BCP for a little over 5 years) to yasmin 3 days ago and she said it was probably going to get worse before it gets better. whoo! the yasmin wasnt really for my face though. so anyway....she said to check them out, see if like them, and call her if i wanna do something different.

So i dont really know what i am going to do...she explained what they were for...but i dont really know anything about them,

heres my routine now

olay sensitive skin foaming face wash

Water, Glycerin, Sodium Myristoyl Sarcosinate, PEG 120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Glycol Distearate, PEG 150 Pentaerythritol Tetrastearate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Polyquaternium 10, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Phenoxyethanol, Cocamide MEA, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Laureth 9

paulas choice skin balancing toner (have only been using about 2 1/2 weeks) and then i have been adding sprays of george's aloe vera distillate (couldnt find any info about this...i got it at the health food store) i also have the george's aloe gel it has aloe distillate, sodium carbomers, and methyl parabens ---hmm....i think i am being ripped off...dont i want concentrated, not distilled, aloe??

Paula's choice 2% bha gel (does this stuff expire??...cause it worked great at first...so i have been using samples of her 2% liquid)

Paulas hydralight moisture lotion (have only had this for less than a month too--use it in the morning mainly on my cheeks, around my mouth, and my eyes)

i also have a little jar of unopened dove sensitive essentials face lotion that a friend gave me (she bought the wrong one) i may start using it(paulas isnt too moisturizing)

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate/VP Copolymer, Pentylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cholesterol, Bisabolol, Sodium PCA, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Dimethicone, Linoleic Acid, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 11, Ceramide 1, Phytosphingosine, Isohexadecane, Saccharide Isomerate, Coriandrum Sativum Seed Oil (Coriander), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Avena Sativa Kernel Extract (Oat), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Linoleamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, PEG 4 Laurate, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Biosaccharide Gum 1, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

last night i used neutrogena healthy skin lotion (with spf 15--they didnt have anything else) instead of bha--i read that a lot of people had success in treating their fleshy bumps with glycolic acid and this was the only thing i knew of at the drugstore--it burned a little last night but my face didnt turn pink until much later in the day....i am starting to wonder about the facial flushing as well--it seems like i flush so easily and randomly now! why?

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Oxybenzone (5%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water (Purified), Glycolic Acid, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Dicaprylyl Maleate, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Sodium Glycolate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid Polypeptide, Panthenol, Bisabolol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance

and hopefully those equate (wal mart brand) face wipes are okay. they are supposed to be like ponds clean sweep but they REEEEK of diaper wipes

i also just got my order of green cream 6% in today....or i could try one of the neutro. lotions with less retinol at the drug store...or i could get one of those glycolic peel kits at the drugstore...or order some mandelic acid (garden of wisdom?)...or is there some sort of lactic acid treatment? or azelaic acid? or what is this finacea (is that only for people with rosacea)?

or i could try just doing mechanical exfoliation (where i dont have inflamed shit)--maybe a gentle scrub (though i have never heard of one...) or doing this toothbrush thing yall do.

cant use BP- Turns my whole face bright red even i just use 2.5 once a day

I have no idea! but i think i am going to take the cephalexin, try the clindamycin lotion, and use the neutro instead of the bha yay or nay???

right now my face is dehydrated--dont know how? that neutro aha was pretty thick--and PINK

i think i am gonna try putting oatmeal and honey on it---that seems like a safe, soothing bet

or maybe some of my yogurt?

oh oh--i also have paulas choice skin balancing carbon mask--but im not sure thats very moisturizing--i have only used it twice

and i guess this goes in the holistic and nutrition thread--but i eat a lot of soy and red meat. and i love love love my yogurt. but its organic yogurt! does organic make it okay? it says they dont use the bovine growth hormones...but i am GLUTEN FREE

and does taking ACV caplets work like drinking it? they have them at the health food store...

and does anyone think that this could be due to the water here in my lovely dorm....it has a lot of minerals in it (and who knows what else...) but EVERYONE drinks out of filters or has bottled water...but we still gotta shower in that shit. me and some of the girls tried to install a shower filter...but the shower end wouldnt disconnect cause there was so much hard buildup on it! and my BLEACHED blonde hair started to lose its color...i didnt even think that was possible and it has never happened before...but when i came back after being home (and getting my hair highlighted) after about 5 showers the highlights had turned dark....

BUT ANYWAY! I ASK GODS OF WISDOM TO GIVE ME SOME OF THEIR SECRETS! ANY INPUT IS WELCOME. I AM CURRENTLY A PILGRIM ALONE ON MY JOURNEY (I HAVENT BEEN AT THIS SCHOOL LONG ENOUGH TO FEEL COMFORTABLE TALKING TO ANYONE HERE ABOUT MY ZITSYS) BUT I WOULD LOVE TO BE ACCOMPANIED. THANKSSSS

by the way, you can just address me as microwave.

ohhh my first reply!

i just wanted to apologize...i did end up giving you the long version...but theres not much to do when you are hiding out in a 5 by 5 dorm room

Guest happy-java

I went through the same craziness, and this was my cure.

Total zen. Simplicity. Can't stress that enough.

I told myself I would, after a decade of hell with acne, give myself three months of Dan's regimen on his products, and not do ANYTHING else. Nothing. Wash > BP > Moisture. Morning and night. And regardless of what happened, nothing else for three months. No picking, no spot treatment, no cover-up, NOTHING but Dan's regimen.

I liked what I saw because I'm going though a simplicity phase in my life, and his stuff is minimalist. Short ingredient lists, each one added only because it's needed, everything meant to work together (BP doesn't "ball up" with moisturizer, for example). I saw how simple it was (vs. everything else) and I liked it. Sounded "right".

After using products, rotating through products, ideas, medicines both script and OTC and dealing with levels of acne, low and high, ok and horrific... after a month of Dan's regimen for the first time in my life since 16 my acne is 99% gone. I passed around the two month mark a few days ago I think, and damn I love it. From 10 to 25 "active" spots at different stages on my face, I'm down to "two healing" and one "mildly active" and they are small. And the active ones heal in two days. Red marks last a week, not two months. 99% fixed for real.

Go for simple, try the regimen, give it three months and let your skin relax from the machine-gun-fire of all different products. Worked for me, I pray it works for everyone else.

I went through the same craziness, and this was my cure.

Total zen. Simplicity. Can't stress that enough.

I told myself I would, after a decade of hell with acne, give myself three months of Dan's regimen on his products, and not do ANYTHING else. Nothing. Wash > BP > Moisture. Morning and night. And regardless of what happened, nothing else for three months. No picking, no spot treatment, no cover-up, NOTHING but Dan's regimen.

I liked what I saw because I'm going though a simplicity phase in my life, and his stuff is minimalist. Short ingredient lists, each one added only because it's needed, everything meant to work together (BP doesn't "ball up" with moisturizer, for example). I saw how simple it was (vs. everything else) and I liked it. Sounded "right".

After using products, rotating through products, ideas, medicines both script and OTC and dealing with levels of acne, low and high, ok and horrific... after a month of Dan's regimen for the first time in my life since 16 my acne is 99% gone. I passed around the two month mark a few days ago I think, and damn I love it. From 10 to 25 "active" spots at different stages on my face, I'm down to "two healing" and one "mildly active" and they are small. And the active ones heal in two days. Red marks last a week, not two months. 99% fixed for real.

Go for simple, try the regimen, give it three months and let your skin relax from the machine-gun-fire of all different products. Worked for me, I pray it works for everyone else.

Do you think you're actually allergic to BP or just sensitive? If your face is dried out already, it may be too harsh outright to put BP on already dried out skin. Let your face reach a fairly healthy dryness...this means not just putting on moisturizer, solving it temporarily, but not putting anything on your face drying for maybe a day or two. Once you've done that, put on a very slight amont of BP. BP is harsh at first, but if you ramp it up slowly you should be fine, unless you're actually allergic. An allergic reaction will typically have some accompanying swelling or something. Otherwise it's just regular putting-on-too-much BP.

Hope that helps.

Do you wear sunscreen daily? I'm definitely not trying to be preachy or anything -- but if you are using things like AHA, BHA or retinoids, these products can make your skin sensitive to sunlight and make your face even more red without proper sun protection.

I agree with happy-java's post about a simple regime. I used to use lots of harsh products and would still continue to break out a lot, but once I cut back my routine to the basics (gentle cleanser, gentle sunscreen, gentle moisturizer, and a gentle exfoliator - I use a .05% BHA toner) my skin cleared up. Omega 3 capsules has also helped my skin a lot.

Good luck!

I'll have to second the recommendation to consider BP. If you don't have any allergic type reactions to it (itchy bumps, swelling, blistering), you could start using it slowly in a habituation type process: Cleanse normally with sensitive skin cleanser. Apply BP. Leave on for half an hour to an hour. Do that for a week. Then you could gradually increase the time you leave the BP until your skin is habituated to wearing it all night. Then twice a day. Then slathered on. The BP will take care of your inflamed acne.

Once you're used to the BP and have been using it for at least a month at the full dose, then would be the time to consider adding in something like the Neutrogena product.

If you're dead set against BP, I believe the salicylic liquid or gel from Paula's Choice combined with the clindamycin lotion and perhaps an antibiotic may be of assistance to you. Or the green cream and the clindamycin.

I'm a guy...a lot of the stuff you said flew over my head.

But I never liked Olay-I only tried their moisturizer though

I think one of the betters one out there is Cetaphil cleanser. Its really gentle on your skin. You can wash your eyeball its so gentle.

The thing is not to overdo with all these different regimens and end up irritating your skin more.

Theres nothing wrong with organic yogurt. Its actually good for you. Other dairy products though might cause acne.

I don't know about soy, but I think theres studies suggesting that it can raise estrogen levels.

And red meat imo is fine and healthy. If your talking about a steak or something...

And ACV pills from what I've heard in the red mark forum aren't as good as the actual thing.

Hi!

I just wanted to tell you that I'm currently doing CoolTouch laser treatments and I think they really help. The area that it has helped the most with for me was my forehead - I had a lot of tiny microbumps from excess oil and after 3 treatments my forehead went back to being normal smooth skin. So yeah I just wanted to let you know that I recommend it! And your Derm sounds like an angel!

hmmm so im still not sure how to work everything on here. but i am just going to reply in one post...if thats all right.

FIRST OFF!! i just want to say REALLY REALLY THANK YOU ALL! it means a lot that you all took time to read my long-ass whiny post and then reply! (especially without any comments about overreacting, having too many questions, etc). its a bit hard being in a new place without anyone from home. if i was with my amazing friends from home...well... im sure they would be offering to pop my zits for me and making comments whenever a new one came. but the thing is it wouldnt be weird to talk to them about it, and i know they wouldnt really give a crap if i had zits or not, cause we have all seen each other naked, unshowered, greasy, bloated, etc. but here...im cant talk to people i barely know about acne! at this point i wont even leave my dorm hall without foundation! sooooo its really nice to have people help me that dont even know me and dont have any real incentive to spend their time talking to me. thanks!

i didnt really even think about being allergic to the BP....i go through phases with my body where im hypersensitive (because of autoimmune disease) and i have to be really really careful about everything i eat, put on my face, breath in, etc. the hypersensitivity usually comes around times when my body is stressed anyway (if im sick, havent slept, stressed about school). so maybe it is just a temporary reaction. i also have a whole slew of prescriptions for allergy meds and steriods for when i am having one of those phases. and usually i just dont use anything for awhile. no makeup, no perfume, no hair stuff, very bland diet, no caffeine, no smoky bars, baking soda for toothpaste, etc. pretty much i just only use jojoba or olive oil...on my lips, body, hair. and this didnt really used to be an issue...but im pretty sure now if i dont wash my hair it will stick to my head, if i dont use skincare stuff my breakout are just gonna get worse, and if i dont wear makeup...then i dont want to see anyone. i actually did just have a reaction on my face, but its hard to tell if thats from something i ate, was around or put on it....cause my face is kind of flaky anyway right now and when i have allergic reactions its usually angioedema (my face, lips, eyes, tongue swell) and wheals (little patches of red bumps that come and go). but i did actually email the paulas choice company to ask them about the lotion cause i thought it was maybe causing something. because i didnt put anything but the lotion around my eyes and that is what i have been using around my mouth, and the skin there started getting very red, swollen, and my eyelids started to flake (which has never happened with any kind of sensitivity). so thats not fun! but i think maybe i should give the bp another shot when my face is calm....cause if it was an allergic reaction to something else my skin would of course have reacted to bp...it would react to almost anything if its already sensitized. i am going to have to find it in the drugstore too, cause i cant find the ingredients of the neutro 2.5 on the spot--the one i have- online. just to make sure there is nothing questionable. and the washing it off part....hmm! i didnt even think about that. cause in paula begoun's book she says the bp cleansers are useless cause you just wash them down the drain....but she is talking max 1 minute on your face or something. but if i left it on for twenty minutes or something it would have some beneficial aspects? yes? speaking of the bp washes...my derm had her nurse send me a face wash with bp in it. since i said i didnt want to put the bp on, she told me to try this. but it came with a warning...so i havent used it yet. its from one of the lines the estheticians (theres a spa and plastic surgery office all together under one name) sells and since its not prescription she doesnt really know anything about it, its just what the estheticians recommended. its called clinical formula pumice cleanser

INGREDIENTS:

Purified Water, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Glycerin, Cocoamphocarboxyglycinate, Polyethylene Granule, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer 940, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, D&C Red #36.

the food stuff is suuuuuchhhh a relief to hear. its hard enough getting enough to eat when i live in a dorm with no kitchen, and i already have to be gluten free, and this town where i am for school is LITTLE and it is hard to find healthy/gluten free food. and its even more expensive (cause theres not a lot else around...so when this tiny store has to order the healthy stuff, they have to get enough to fill an entire shipment just for them). but i love my yogurt so much i dont think i could give it up even if it was causing acne. its the easiest healthy thing to have. and i eat beef jerky...haha. only in the privacy of my dorm. but its good because i have a mini-fridge and cant have a lot of stuff in there, and it loses power occasionally so it scares me to have meat in there (especially my beloved applegate farms and boar's head which dont have preservatives). and luna bars and soy crisps! i couldnt live without them. and i am definitely not going to do the ACV thing if i have to drink it. i dont really believe in torturing myself.

and i do need to buy a better sunscreen. i stopped using spf (cause my greaseball face cant handle my old moisturizer with spf) as much as i should. i just used the ones in my makeup (another idea from paula begoun) because i was scared of adding something else on my face. i guess i am gonna try to find the neutrogena dry touch or whatever. i having been thinking clearly. i am just used to NEVER getting sunburned. just nice and tan. (i know its bad! i dont lay out or anything! just from being outside a lot!)

and yes my derm is an angel. this paragraph is just me praising her....so you can skip it if you want...but it seems like most people dont like their derms. i meant to say she was giving me 1/2 off on the laser treatments (she said i would probably need around 6, but we will see) and she gave me her cell phone number in case i have any questions and want to speak to her directly (not call the nurse) or if shes not at the office. ahh! i am lucky that i had her! she also used to make me little doggie bags of all the samples of prescriptions and products they were sent to try b/c my insurance wouldnt cover it. so she would give me enough for 3 months at a time so that i never had to pay for it. thats how my mom started using retinols too, it was expensive but we had all these samples and she liked it and now she uses it everyday. i think its just cause all the doctors there and everyone that goes there is so well-off that it just doesnt matter when she gives good deals and such. the first time i went there it was because i had a gash across my forehead and the people at the hospital recommended we not do stitches, just close it temporarily, because i would end up having -i think they are called butterfly scars- not just the scar from the cut, but the scars from the stiches too...on my forehead. so i went to a plastic surgeon and they sent her down to see what the best option would be then they lasered up my face and offered to fix another scar on my face (on my cheekbone) that another plastic surgeon in town had caused when i was a lot younger. he was supposed to do the same thing they did to my forehead, but instead i ended up with a much bigger, bumpy, above the surface scar. so they did lasers on that one and then the plastic surgeon injected restylane into the parts that were sunken. bless them.

but i am really excited to hear that the lasers worked for you! i am willing to work for good skin...but if it can come in something as easy as a laser, i all for it!!!! so did it just make you less oily? a weaker version of accutane without all the side effects.....??? because that sounds too good to be true.

but this is what i have been doing now.--- i started taking the cephalexin, which was just kind of random...because i couldnt really find anything about the doryx. UNTIL I REALIZED IT IS DOXYCYCLINE. i kept searching for doryx but not much was coming up. and she seemed like she thought that one was better, but she told me to just look at them both. so i am started to wonder now if i should be taking the doryx instead. it seems to be much more commonly prescribed for acne. as there really wasnt a lot about cephalexin anywhere as a treatment for acne. but i dont know if its healthy to just stop the ceph and start taking a different one. i guess i will ask the antibiotic board...but the board just doesnt seem that helpful, i guess cause all the opinions are so varied and a lot people dont seem to know what they are talking about.

and i used the clindamycin this morning and washed it off after 15 minutes! it didnt burn or anything, its just now that i have that idea of doing it very gradually i think i will try it.

The lotion contains cetostearyl alcohol (2.5%); glycerin; glyceryl stearate SE (with potassium monostearate); isostearyl alcohol (2.5%); methylparaben (0.3%); sodium lauroyl sarcosinate; stearic acid; and purified water.

and then i have been using 1% bha at night, and one night instead of bha, i used aha

so there hasnt been any improvement in the zits or flesh bumps, but my face isnt pink....

i dont really know about the bha and aha, if its okay to use both or which works better. i am tempted to just use the aha since i have been using 2% bha for a pretty long time now and it hasnt seemed to help. and eventually i want to try the green cream!! i just dont think i should now cause i think i should get my current breakouts under control first. but your opinions are welcome! aha or bha or both? clindamycin lotion or bp? stop cephalexin and start doryx? recs for makeup, light face lotion, a way to get rid of the flakes. (manual exfoliation?). any knowledge helps!

THANK YOU! sorry i made it so long again. i havent been too social lately, and you know, just gotta go off on tangents!