Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
calla lily

Blackheads & gunk in the pores of the nose

Even if I squeeze them and think I get most things out, they eventually come back! Why is this? Can I do anything to make them go away for good, or is that practically impossible? The thought of going around for the rest of my life with these things lodged in my nose is disturbing... :/

I'm sooo with ya!!

I'm on Accutane now, and my god, it's pushed the blackheads out of my nose. My face is smooth and clear. Even before Tane, I would go get a facial and have clear pores, then a week later could see my nose start filling up again. I have sensitive skin so I can't use harsh stuff. But I hope someone has some really enlightening news on this.... good question.

Yvette

a few things to try..

-the baby brush method really helps clear up your pores

-jojoba oil really clears out your pores..

-neutrogena pore refining toner really helps shrink your pores

-queen helene mint julep mask is grrreeeeat at cleaning your pores $3 at your local cvs or walgreens for a big bottle!

=) those are my favorite cleanin out the pores remedies

a few things to try..

-the baby brush method really helps clear up your pores

-jojoba oil really clears out your pores..

-neutrogena pore refining toner really helps shrink your pores

-queen helene mint julep mask is grrreeeeat at cleaning your pores $3 at your local cvs or walgreens for a big bottle!

=) those are my favorite cleanin out the pores remedies

I'll second all those except for the jojoba which I have not tried. All the others I highly affirm the effectiveness. :)

Honestly, I think not.

I have loads of small ones on my nose, doesn't really bother me at all because they aren't visible. Right now I'm on accutane, and like 1 month into accutane all of the blackheads went off my nose, but they all appeared back now and are going away again thanks to the accutane.

I wouldn't be surprised if they came again like they did before

Does anyone have any idea why or how Accutane drives away blackheads?? I don't want to go on Accutane, but it'd be nice to know.

And thanks for the tips, Kittykdo. Do you think using a spinning toothbrush instead of a baby brush would work just as well? I've actually been using the spinning toothbrush method but I haven't really seen a difference. Maybe it's because the gunk in the pores of my nose aren't really visible/noticeable?

Also, how does jojoba oil cleanse the pores?

I might try the QHMJ mask. I've used it years ago but I'm not sure if it did anything for blackheads because I never knew what a blackhead was before. Haha. I never thought I had any.

Please dont use jojoba oil! That stuff is very comedogenic, especially Desert Essence. I know everyone is different but I can tell you from personal experience, it didnt like my skin. I put it on my entire face once and the morning when I woke up, I had ten cystic pimples under my chin all lined up in a row! I dont know if this will work but Kim (willow569) recommends Finacea. That might be worth a shot; it is prescription though

Does anyone have any idea why or how Accutane drives away blackheads?? I don't want to go on Accutane, but it'd be nice to know.

And thanks for the tips, Kittykdo. Do you think using a spinning toothbrush instead of a baby brush would work just as well? I've actually been using the spinning toothbrush method but I haven't really seen a difference. Maybe it's because the gunk in the pores of my nose aren't really visible/noticeable?

Also, how does jojoba oil cleanse the pores?

I might try the QHMJ mask. I've used it years ago but I'm not sure if it did anything for blackheads because I never knew what a blackhead was before. Haha. I never thought I had any.

I think it takes cysts 7-8 days to form so I doubt it was from the Jojoba oil, but it might have triggered them to come up sooner perhaps.

Please dont use jojoba oil! That stuff is very comedogenic, especially Desert Essence. I know everyone is different but I can tell you from personal experience, it didnt like my skin. I put it on my entire face once and the morning when I woke up, I had ten cystic pimples under my chin all lined up in a row! I dont know if this will work but Kim (willow569) recommends Finacea. That might be worth a shot; it is prescription though

Finacea has been great for my skin - I don't get that many blackheads though, so I can't personally speak to its effectiveness for those. I do know that is has been found to be effective in preventing clogged pores, so it may help prevent new blackheads from forming.

Another product that is supposed to be good for blackheads is mandelic acid. I used it for quite awhile, just around my nose to keep the pores looking smoother and tighter - seemed to work well for that. I have read about people having good results with it for blackheads too. Laura has her own mandelic formulation - you might ask her about it. I tested it out for her when she was developing it, and it worked fine on my skin.

I have this same problem. I can squeeze the gunk out and it's back the next day. It always seems to be the same pores. A bha/aha combo (usually 2%/4%) helps but the ones on my nose and chin keep getting congested.

That's no way you can eliminate blackheads as long as you have oily skin. Accutane is just a temporary solution for blackheads. After you finish your course of accutane and mths later oily skin will be back, although not as oily as before but blackheads will eventually form again.

I think they'll never go away. Even people with flawless skin have them. I think it's really normal. The thing is to not let it get too plugged, otherwise it'll be a blackhead...

I say squeeze it gently one in awhile if your skin can take it.

Finacea has been great for my skin - I don't get that many blackheads though, so I can't personally speak to its effectiveness for those. I do know that is has been found to be effective in preventing clogged pores, so it may help prevent new blackheads from forming.

Another product that is supposed to be good for blackheads is mandelic acid. I used it for quite awhile, just around my nose to keep the pores looking smoother and tighter - seemed to work well for that. I have read about people having good results with it for blackheads too. Laura has her own mandelic formulation - you might ask her about it. I tested it out for her when she was developing it, and it worked fine on my skin.

I sure hope I dont get anymore blackheads! I swear, I have more than a hundred! My nose and the sides of them are covered in deep blackheads :(

lol wanna buy some of lauras mandelic acid, see me at that mall again, and give it to me and Ill pay you for it?

I sure hope I dont get anymore blackheads! I swear, I have more than a hundred! My nose and the sides of them are covered in deep blackheads :(

lol wanna buy some of lauras mandelic acid, see me at that mall again, and give it to me and Ill pay you for it?

Hey Molly -

I found out recently that Laura does not sell Face Reality's treatment products to people who aren't clients, so I can't purchase that for you. Sorry! :doubt:

Do you still have the NuCelle mandelic serum? You might try using that just on your nose where you get the blackheads (and not all over your face so you don't get irritated skin).

I heard someone say blackheads will never go away...

well Ive seen some adults who have beaten it, although they had tiny pore craters on the nose, changing the texture, really small and seemed normal.

So um my guess is that logically it can be beaten, but the need for finding how the body can beat it, and how fast that'll happen, and how to avoid the craters still continues.. but I think the craters can be avoided if no picking is done, or any sort of cleansing, "nothing" pretty much.

I've thought and thought and thought about this, none of today's technology has an answer for blackheads going away completely, accutane is temporary, and all the topicals are even more temporary, laser can't do anything for it, diet can in theory be the best treatment, but the knowledge of it is still limited, the accuracy must be pin point, and the usage control seems computery and unhuman.

So, maybe a virus or well a good virus can reconfigure the DNA and change the oilyness lol, something drrrrrrasssticccc has to change I think for the blackheads to dissapear.

I blame the Humans! for being dumb! well in comparison to our future selves atleast.

This is all IMO. Peace :whistle:

I do use mandelic acid (the Vivant toner 3%) but I suppose since it is 3% it is not strong enough or something.

Siiiiigh. I tried squeezing out the gunk again a few days ago, but they're baaaaaaaaack. Surprise, surprise!

Blackheads are evil. Acne shouldn't even be allowed on the nose. Such an abomination. :snooty:

No, I've only ever used 3%.

So not many people have found mandelic acid in any strength to be effective at removing/preventing blackheads then? That's disappointing...

My log's some ways down the first page of the personal regimens section, by the way.

iv always had blackheads on my nose..even when i never broke out, blackheads were always there so i thought it was something i couldnt get rid of so i never really cared for it (i thought it was something i had to live with for the rest of my life and it wasnt inflamed and wasnt on any part of my face besides nose so i didnt really care).. then i started using glyc 5% that iv purchased from this acne clinic i go to...about a month after, all of my blackheads were gone! like i woke up one day and they all disappeared!!! but it did leave me bigger pores which i shoudlnt really complain about.. i am still broken out from using vitamin A product (probably purging) but havent had any blackheads since then.. so i recommend glyc for everyone who wants to get rid of blackheads..but i do think it's important to find an excellent glyc product.

btw, i DID try green cream and Paula's BHA..they got me clear but never got rid of my blackheads.

*calla lilly- glyc never got rid of ur blackheads? beckjan had a great success with glyc as well...hmm.. arent u using 10% right now? thats weird..

^Lucky you. Yes, I do use 10% glycolic, but it doesn't really seem to be doing anything for them. I guess they only make them less obvious...

What the most effective skin products/vitamins/supplements/ foods for getting rid of the blackheads and sebum, and how do you stop them from refilling?

Sorry, I kind of forgot about this thread until you posted today.

Anyway, I'm not a blackhead expert or anything, but retinoids sound good because they're supposed to be great against blackheads--it helps to loosen blackheads, makes the skin cells shed faster so they become less likelier to clog, and they can slow down oil production a bit. Retin-A and Tazorac are a couple of options for this.

As mentioned before, glycolic acid and mandelic acid are good for blackheads, too. I would recommend getting blackheads extracted once in a while. lol, there's something fun and satisying about slathering on treatment right after getting the blackheads extracted 'cause it feels like it actually goes into the pores and stuff...

Exfoliating often will help, too. I personally like using one of those battery-operated spinning brushes, but I hear the baby brush method is gentler and is just as effective.

Use clay masks like queen helene's mint julep mask 'cause the clay'll help absorb oils and such.

Hope that helps!

What the most effective skin products/vitamins/supplements/ foods for getting rid of the blackheads and sebum, and how do you stop them from refilling?

They go away if you take care of your skin properly. But finding the proper way is hard since it varies different methods for different people.