Notifications
Clear all

Effects of stopping Nuvaring?

MemberMember
(@sugars)

Posted : 10/24/2007 12:18 am

I've been on various forms of hormonal BC for 11 yrs. (Orthotricyclen, a generic BCP, back to Ortho-tri, then the Nuvaring.) My husband and I want to start TTC next summer, and I've had it with the side effects of the Nuvaring. (panic attacks, nightmares, depression, acne, mood swings, severe headaches.) These side effects always seemed like something I had to put up with to not get pregnant.

But now that I am married and we are talking about being pregnant someday, I am so excited to get off hormonal birth control! I feel like I've been depressed for over 10 years! But the thing I am worried about is the acne. Before I started BC, I had TERRIBLE acne all over my whole face (freshman year of college...not good!) And then it gradually lessened, never completely going away, but it wasn't a face-full.

And so now I'm nearly 30 and I still have acne that pops up before & during my period. I took out my last ring and this is my first week ring-free. My face is breaking out, and it's not just the "standard" small pimples. They are lasting longer and seem deeper. I am so sad that I might revert back to the face I had my freshman year of college.

Has anyone gone off HBC and experienced this? Will the regimen still help?

MemberMember
(@pickpock)

Posted : 11/02/2010 6:05 pm

this is very unusual...as the nuvaring is actually very wellknown for "the pimple making thing you can buy!"...

if you google "nuvaring and acne" you will be surprised how many women out there had massive breakouts even on their body just because of using it.

i use it for about one year now and had worse skin with it. i will stop it in three days and will see how it goes.

as my body will be in another disbalance i wonAt expect acnefree skin straight away (this takes longer then a couple of days)...but i do think that on the long run the skin should improve without it.

MemberMember
(@nuvanoacne)

Posted : 01/21/2014 10:02 am

Sugars I absolutely know what you're talking about! I went off the nuvaring for a few weeks once and my face broke out like a teenager on a chocolate binge. I'm thinking about wanting to become pregnant in the near future but I'm soo dreading the breakout!!

MemberMember
(@nuvanoacne)

Posted : 01/21/2014 10:02 am

Sugars I absolutely know what you're talking about! I went off the nuvaring for a few weeks once and my face broke out like a teenager on a chocolate binge. I'm thinking about wanting to become pregnant in the near future but I'm soo dreading the breakout!!