Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
woahwoahwoah

skin has got incredibly worse any suggestions

well recently my skin has got worse than ever before,

my current regimen consists of using "simple" exfoliating wash, then a simple pil balancing cleansing wipe (to tone) followed by simple oil balancing moisturizer.

I also started using a flannel when i get washed to help exfoliate. i have noticed my skin is quite bumpy and goes through periods where it is smooth but then i break out really bad. i have some photos aswell.

BTW i have also used benzoyl peroxide in the past and i think its terrible stuff which has done nothing but make things work IMO.

anyone have any suggestions.

i have recently started using bio oil on previous red marks aswell which seemed to be working but i think its clogging pores.

photos:

post-55446-1193072996_thumb.jpg

post-55446-1193073018_thumb.jpg

post-55446-1193073041_thumb.jpg

post-55446-1193072996_thumb.jpg

post-55446-1193073018_thumb.jpg

post-55446-1193073041_thumb.jpg

You should definately stop the exfoliation. To much can cause irritation which leads to breakouts.

What is in those cleansing wipes you mentioned. They may already have chemicals in them that will exfoliate (remove dead skin cells).

Exfoliation is only nessasary about 2 times a week.

Exfoliation is great but scrubing and flannels are too harsh. Dont give up on BP yet. Try this reg, it is very successful for many people.

-Wash with glycolic acid 10%

-dry

-apply 10% BP

-leave on for 15 mins

-wash off

-dry

-apply salicylic acid 2%

-apply oil free moisturizer (has to be oil free!) (during the day use sunscreen instead of moisturizer)

Repeat same at night

This regimen helps with active acne, redness and red marks after acne.

Good luck.

Don't exfoliate.

Use Dan Kern's routine.

If you shave.. Use a manual razor... Not electric.... Lather the blade and your face and when you shave periodically rinse your face with one hand and re-lather if still shaving that area...

Wash your sheets every week.... Have two towels.... One for drying hands and one for face... put them on hangers so there not touching surfaces...

Drink water..

And take vitamins + hormone regulators such as zinc.

My skin looks the same way since I started taking zinc pills. I have tried everything and I get no results. If you find something that works tell me. :pray:

your acne looks very inflamed, for now start taking some aleve for a few days just to get some of the inflamation down and ice the acne. stop with the harsh exfoliation. if you think BP makes it worse for you, don't use it. if i were you i would see a dermatologist you will probably need some antibiotics since it is so inflamed.

I agree with the others who have recommended to stop the over-exfoliation. These are generally too harsh and irritating for people with inflamed acne. It may be part of the cause of your acne spreading.

I would recommend trying a good BP product (not all products are created equal - some of the drug store brands have pore-clogging ingredients). The acne.org regimen (aka "Dan's Regimen") might be one option for you to look into.

Are you able to go to a dermatologist? They can prescribe a number of things to help reduce the inflamatory acne that you have (topical or oral antibiotics, retinoids, finacea)

I don't know what ingredients are in the products you use, but you might check them out against one of these lists:

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm

or

http://www.facerealityskincare.com/img/Por...Skin%20Care.pdf

Any of the ingredients that are listed as being comedogenic are ones to be avoided. If your products contain one or more of these ingredients, you should stop using them and switch to something else.

AH! Yea stop using all chemicals for right now! You're skin looks like it's irritated and I would give it a break and you will see a pretty big difference just after 1-2 weeks I would think. That's about how long it takes for mine to calm down if I accidentally shave over a few bumps.

When I over exfoliate I wind up with whiteheads, which I don't normally get. (I usually get clogged pores). That's my cue to ease up on the scrubbing. Have you tried a chemical exfoliant like an AHA, or perhaps adding Salyic Acid into your regimen? (it's a toner, drying agent that is far, far less irrating for most people than BP)

How about you just exfoliate with a facial brush? I recommend doing that only once a day. Also you might want to try a leave on alpha hydroxy product and use a very gentle cleanser, but make sure it doesnt contain Sodium Lauryth Sulfate.

Well do as these people say and drop all the products you are using now. And what is your skin type? If its the sensitive kind, you need to get really gentle products preferably water-based ones. And I do recommend seeing a dermatologist, your chin area looks really bad.

willow has the right idea. Please stop the excessive exfoliating and do your best to see a derm.

Also do your absolute best to NOT pick anymore at all. Picking will lead to scars. I noted some indentions in those pics, so please, no more picking.

BP is an excellent medication for inflamed acne such as yours. I do highly recommend the regimen. Stop with the exfoliating wash, the flannels, etc. Just a gentle cleanser, BP, and a moisturizer. And stick to that regimen until you're clear.

thanks for your help everybody, the cleansing wipes contain "zinc pca" and a natural antibacterial aand it is 100% oil and alchol free.

I havent used any products on my face in the last few days or a flannel the only wash i have been using is "simple facial wash gel with viatmin b5" which is again alchol free. ATM my skin is much the same, the thing i hate most is on the cheeks as i find this really noticable and most stubborn, its all very red and i can feel a few bumps- any way of calming this.

so can anyone give specific products to use. would you recommend using something like clearasil deep cleansing wash- does that contain salylic acid. if possible can you suggest products which contain the AHA you were talking about

i have previously been on tetracylcine and more recently erythmoycin (sp) of which i didnt really see any effect.

when things first started getting bad i was prescribed 5 % bp, which was really harsh on my skin i think I have quite sensitive skin, which gets quite dry around the mouth area. the reason i dont like benzoyl peroxide is the fact it makes you so red, and quite itchy. i have recently got 2.5% would you suggest i stick to this within a regimen? how much of this would you use- a lot?

i think the side effects of accutane are really severe so would not want to dabble in that without first trying alternatives.

p.s if you are making suggestions on products could you please mention products that are in the uk and preferably purchasable from common drug stores as i dont purchase on the internet.

thanks very much everybody

Hiya,

I'm not convinced that using a toner is a particularly good idea, whenever I've used it on my skin in the past it's really dried it out. Also I really don't think washing with a flannel is a good idea at all. Do you regularly change the flannel? Not only is the over-exfoliation likely to irritate your inflamed looking acne but flannels are a haven for bacteria and really you're likely to be spreading the infection round your cheeks.

Do you change your pillowcase regularly? It may sound obvious, but your cheeks are the areas which have most contact with the fabric and if the pillowcase is not changed every few days it will be full of dead skin cells and dirt which contribute to blocking pores and creating spots. Also make sure that when drying your skin you use a fresh towel and dab dry rather than scrub it dry.

As Wynne has said, generally I think you need to stop with the harsh routine and gently exfoliate and then apply a medication, rather than scrub with a flannel. Only apply a moisturiser if the skin is dry and make sure it doesn't contain oil, if your skin is greasy then it doesn't need moisturising.

What you need is a gentle exfoliater. You can get some with micro-beads in them which exfoliate and then break down. At the moment I'm using 'Witch' exfoliating face wash, it's anti-bacterial and has added vitamin E. I found that using benzoyl peroxide irritated my skin and made it dry, so I went to the doctor and was prescribed a product called Zineryt. It works quite well for me because my skin's greasy, but if your skin is dry then you may need something else. Your best bet is to see a doctor and try some alternatives, you need to experiment with medication to find the one which works best for your skin type.