Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
degroot

Need help with scar treatment

My gf of 1 and 1/2 years has acne scarring on her cheeks that she had some sort of laser treatment on her face 3 times about 1 year ago that left her with a slightly swollen/ red face for about 3 to 4 days. The scarring got minimally better and I believe that she is done with treatments. I would say that she maybe got a 20% reduction in scarring but we don't really discuss it much and I would have to imagine that she is not happy with it as she is otherwise a very attractive girl but with an obvious esthetic flaw. Her scars are bilaterally located on her cheeks and are about 2 mm wide, circular and there are too many to count. They are soft to the touch, not discolored and don't feel tethered to her face. What would be the next best option? Retin A? TCA? Restylane? Fraxel 2? I want to be with her but I don't like to look at scars all over her cheeks. I think that both of us would be alot happier with a significant improvement. I do realize that 100% improvement is not possible. Thanks in advance.

My gf of 1 and 1/2 years has acne scarring on her cheeks that she had some sort of laser treatment on her face 3 times about 1 year ago that left her with a slightly swollen/ red face for about 3 to 4 days. The scarring got minimally better and I believe that she is done with treatments. I would say that she maybe got a 20% reduction in scarring but we don't really discuss it much and I would have to imagine that she is not happy with it as she is otherwise a very attractive girl but with an obvious esthetic flaw. Her scars are bilaterally located on her cheeks and are about 2 mm wide, circular and there are too many to count. They are soft to the touch, not discolored and don't feel tethered to her face. What would be the next best option? Retin A? TCA? Restylane? Fraxel 2? I want to be with her but I don't like to look at scars all over her cheeks. I think that both of us would be alot happier with a significant improvement. I do realize that 100% improvement is not possible. Thanks in advance.

Hi degroot has your girlfriend actually told you she wants to have more scar treatment? "I would have to imagine that she is not happy with it ". You need to know this for sure as treating scars can be a very expensive, emotional and time consuming process with risks to make scarring worse.

I agree with the poster who said you should love her as she is, no one is perfect and im sure your not an exception to this rule. So if loving her hinges on improving her scars i think you would both be better off with different people.

Now is SHE wants to treat her scars i would reccommend going to a plastic surgeon to evaluate all her options and what would give her the best chance on improvment depending on skin type, scar type and their location etc.

Wow, degroot do you realize this is a forum for scar sufferers?? So, no one here is going to be very willing to give you much help with a post like that. That was pretty dumb.

I have to believe this is a bogus post by somebody who is trying to get people excited. The alternative is too strange. I guess you never know. I've met some pretty shallow people. It's sort of funny when you think about it, but I feel for the GF. Can you imagine being in her shoes?

I would agree that on the surface he looks like a bit of a jerk...okay even beyond the surface...but really look at the veiled promises the whole world of dermatology and plastic surgery make. It almost makes it seem like scarring is something one chooses to live with. Anybody who isn't educated might well be led to believe that any scar can just be lasered away... We all know better here, but he needs to know that with current methodologies there isn't a quick and easy fix.

All that said, I feel bad for his girlfiend. Most women are pretty intuitive about how people really feel about them so she must sense his eyes lingering on her scars. Sad!

I would agree that on the surface he looks like a bit of a jerk...okay even beyond the surface...but really look at the veiled promises the whole world of dermatology and plastic surgery make. It almost makes it seem like scarring is something one chooses to live with. Anybody who isn't educated might well be led to believe that any scar can just be lasered away... We all know better here, but he needs to know that with current methodologies there isn't a quick and easy fix.

All that said, I feel bad for his girlfiend. Most women are pretty intuitive about how people really feel about them so she must sense his eyes lingering on her scars. Sad!

Thats exactly it anna. There is the perception among the general public that scars can just be lasered away and if you still have them you must want to have scars. I would blame plastic surgery advertisments in the papers saying things like "remove acne scars 100%" when they are really talking about redmarks.