Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i find that i can eat more veggies without getting bloated if i cook them but how many nutrients are lost? i was reading somewhere that cooking makes beta carotene more available or something but i don't know if this is true? is it better to cook my spinach or eat it raw? i know i should eat a high raw diet but which are the best things to cook and which are the best to eat raw?

IMO cook them.

The heat breaks down the cell walls of the plants making the nutrients more available. Even if some of them are destroyed in the heat you will most likley absorb more of them, also eating some fat along with them makes you absorb far more nutrients, if you put them in a soup or stew or whatever the minerals end up in the water so you could drink that. Humans lack the ability to break apart and digest fiber and must rely on cooking to make most vegetables edible. Fruit on the other hand can be eaten raw in most cases.

The bloating is a sign that they are passing through your small intestine undigested and end up in your colon where they ferment, in the long run this can lead to more serious problems like IBS. Listen to your body and stop tormenting your guts.

good, i just got a bunch of organic baby spinach on sale so i guess i could make big fresh salads out of that? i currently use good quality cold pressed olive oil on my salads (so yummy) bc you need fat to absorb the vitamins (and it makes it taste so much better). i'm thinking of buying flaxseed oil. whats the deal with butter? i hear mixed things about it, some saying its healthy and good for the skin and general health and then i hear negative because it is dairy, etc. what about organic butter?

i guess it just gets confusing because i used to be hardcore for eating my food entirely 100 percent raw even though i was often bloated from it. now i believe that high raw diet is healthier than a 100 percent raw diet. i'm just figuring out which are the best things to eat raw and which are the best to cook.

It depends on how you cook them. In general, most should be steamed or sauteed in a little broth just until tender. See whfoods.com for recipes and/or buy their cookbook.

when you lightly cook you veggies try to add some spices like ginger, cilantro, garlic, pepper, etc. and also sprinkle a bit of celtic sea salt which in give you tons of good minerals.