Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaddMike

Stressing out about face

I've had acne for a long time, but right now it is mild and I have very little facial redness left. However, I can't stop thinking about my face and how I "need" it to be perfect. I then spend a ton of time looking closely in the mirror at all the scars and sometimes go into panic attacks that they will never heal. I feel as though whenever I get really stressed out and anxious, random lines, scrapes, and weird scars start appearing on my face, even in places where acne has never, ever been. Maybe it's all in my mind, but lately I've noticed strange marks in places that have always been clear. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm really upset at myself for focusing so much on my skin when I could be thinking about the better things in life.

It's normal to think that way, even to obsess a little. We all do it from time to time. We were handed a rough deal with a skin disease that can be psychologically devastating. So give yourself a break - it's a tough thing, and it's OK to be bummed out. Just try to find some balance. I wasn't always good at this, it took me a while. Give yourself the luxury of obsessing for a while from time to time, guilt free. But once you've had a good obsess session, train yourself to dismiss these thoughts from your mind as soon as they pop in - and it helps if you fill up your mind with other things. What interests you? Art, music, maybe history? Or maybe you are into physical things like sports. Get good at something - dive into it. You will find you are obsessing less and less. But if you get down from time to time, realize it's only natural, we all do it. It's all part of life - the good and the bad times, everyone has them.

I use to do that, but then at work.. where the lights are so harsh, I see peoples scars.. and their not perfect skin.

So I dont think about it too much, everyone gets pimples, everyone gets scars.. some of them know how to hide it well..

Doesnt matter much in the end, its there, deal with it.

That's true! Everyone has something they don't like about their appearance.

Edited by Birdie