Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest delta force operators

what is a good shampoo and body wash?

I have long straight hair and it always feels like when I had washed it in the past. I guess the feeling is different according to hair type. I always used natural shampoos, never conditioners. I don't notice any difference except the smell. It's not a bad smell either.

Also, my hair was incredibly greasy for about 3 weeks straight. It was disgusting and I was working and going to school every day at this time. I guess people just thought I was putting product in my hair. I only let my friends in on it and they didn't even care. Only the girls I told thought I was a disgusting pig, but now they are changing their tunes. Quitting cold turkey was a good decision for me.

Thanks guys. I have a few questions.

1) When you hair is that greasy doesn't it cause more acne on your forehead? Especially when you hairs touches you face, or when you sweat and the oil/nasties from the hair gets on your face.

2) Would it be a better idea to have your hair cut short, and then start doing this?

3) Once I start this must I stop shampooing at all? Meaning if I stop shampooing for a few days and then shampoo for a day, the counter gets reset to zero and I have to start all over again.

I'm going to stop with the shampoo tonight, and observe my hair and the skin around my hair to see how well it's working. I'll stop with the chemicals on my face after I get my hair under control, just so I don't misinterpret any possible bad results.

The one problem I would have is coming home from a bar and my hair smelling like smoke, but I think I will try Danny's soap suggestion in this thread, though it would be nice to having something all natural that I can keep in my shower for those situations instead of making it when I need it.

It sounds like you just irritated your skin too much. It would be interesting to see if you improve after avoiding all products and chemicals on your skin.

It sounds like you just irritated your skin too much. It would be interesting to see if you improve after avoiding all products and chemicals on your skin.

Notadoctor, you say you wash your hair with water. Do you wash it with water every day?

I wash my hair every day, because, as other people have said, it looks oily if I don't. I suppose I could just about try the no-shampoo regimen if I could at least wash my hair with water every day.

so do you scrub your scalp with the water or do you just rinse? also, would blow drying my hair be a bad idea or straightening it with an iron?

I like shampooing. It makes me - happy! :dance:

But I guess no one likes my California Baby recommendation... seriously though, it is a high quality product.

in case any girls want to try the "no-poo" route, I discovered a away to make the first few weeks a little more manageable.

After rinsing your hair with warm water, take a wash cloth and stoke each side about 100 times. This will help move the oil from your scalp to your roots. So far I've been having good results with this. Its only been about two weeks since I stopped shampooing, but it really hasn't been that bad. Yes, I'm more greasy than usual, but wearing a hat, head band, or scarf has made it less noticeable. The stroking method has also helped a lot.

I will keep you all updated on my progress. Hope this works! I've given up washing my face, so if I could give up shampoo that would be AMAZING!

If you are at the two-week mark you are probably getting the worst of it. It will probably only get better from here. Don't be surprised if your scalp starts to itch if it hasn't already, but it will probably go away. I am interested to hear your updates.

I'm on day 3 now (last shampooed on monday morning, its now thursday morning here). Hair feels oily when I wet it and run my hands through it, and when dry it feels quite 'hard' too, but it still looks ookay I guess, since no one has said anything about my hair (not that I asked anyone to scrutinize my hair).

Anyway of more concern is that when I scratch my scalp, there will be this yellowish-white thing stuck in my nails. I dont know what it is, might be oil mixed with dirt... or dead oily skin... I'm not sure.

Btw dont you guys use gel/styling products on your hair? Surely you have to wash it off with shampoo after that? Or are you all females?

The yellowish white stuff is probably a mix of oil and dead skin. I got it a little bit after like a week and a half. It will get better, but it is gonna take time. And if you are getting that at Day 3, it is probably going to get much worse for you.

I am male and not gay, so I don't use styling products in my hair. I don't think that this is gonna work if you put styling products in your hair. And you definitely can't be using conditioner when trying this. Use just water.

LOL. I dont usually use hair gels, just occasionally. Most guys here use gels/wax. And I do not personally know anyone who is gay... I dunno, maybe gays are hard to come by here. Quite a few lesbians though.

Anyway I have less of yellow stuff now, as I now use my fingernails to scrub my scalp, and also running my hair with warm water (around 40 celcius) longer. Is this okay?

It's been 15 days since I last shampooed. My hair doesn't look bad and it isn't that oily, but it still doesn't feel soft! For the past week there has been almost no change in my hair as far as I can see. Maybe I've already done too much damage to it... or maybe my hair just isn't nice period.

It's been 15 days since I last shampooed. My hair doesn't look bad and it isn't that oily, but it still doesn't feel soft! For the past week there has been almost no change in my hair as far as I can see. Maybe I've already done too much damage to it... or maybe my hair just isn't nice period.

I'm on week four and things seem to be at a stand still at this point. My hair still feels pretty greasy but its not producing any more oil to add to the greasyness. If that makes any sense. Anyway, I am still hopeful and will still give this another two or three weeks.

p.s. what do you think of washing with an egg yolk (it's an emulsifier) or baking soda?

my hair is oily after a day, really just my scalp. maybe I'll try washing it everyday with just water, the same that i do to my face. (as of today i used dessert essence organics raspberry shampoo)

another question I just thought up:

Would the whole ACV + Baking soda be a decent thing to try to wean yourself off of shampoo? Like...taking shampooing down to once a week, and then maybe doing the ACV thing once a week, and then going off if it entirely?

another question I just thought up:

Would the whole ACV + Baking soda be a decent thing to try to wean yourself off of shampoo? Like...taking shampooing down to once a week, and then maybe doing the ACV thing once a week, and then going off if it entirely?