Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catrat242

what's a milk subsitute that i could drink?

Ever since I turned 5 years old, the only thing I mostly drank was milk. Chocolate milk, strawberry milk, organic milk,etc. I never drank soda, fortunatly

I read on here that milk can trigger acne, so I tried to stop drinking milk for a week (very painful), and my acne got better. Bitter sweet news here :(

So what are some other "very-similar-to-milk-but-its-not-entirely-milk's"? I was MAYBE thinking of organic milk, since it dosent have the added hormones and crap in it.

Any suggestions?

Or am I doomed to a life with no milk? :boohoo:

IMO Soy milk is a good alternative, although I've read that it somehow increases estrogen levels or something along those lines :rolleyes: . I was in about the same situation as you but cutting out milk didn't produce very many noticeable differences for me but I'm still cutting it out to try and isolate what's causing my acne. Anyways, I've replaced it with "So Good" Omega. It's made with flax as well as soy so it's also got Omega-3 EFAs in it.

There may be "safer" alternatives to milk out there but they probably aren't cheap. I've read rice milk, almond milk and goat's milk are also acceptable but you'll have to check into that.

yeah, I was thinking soy milk as well...but isnt soy a no-no for acne as well?

i'll definately check into other things, thanks you both :)

EDIT: ahh!! i searched the So Good stuff, and it looked really cool! But's its only sold in Canada....grr :doh:

yeah, I was thinking soy milk as well...but isnt soy a no-no for acne as well?

i'll definately check into other things, thanks you both :)

EDIT: ahh!! i searched the So Good stuff, and it looked really cool! But's its only sold in Canada....grr :doh:

catrat, have you tried organic milk? Organic milk seems non-reactive on my acne, and it may seem expensive, but a gallon of organic milk should be cheaper than a gallon of soy or almond milk.

Soy milk might aggravate acne, but if so, it's probably because of it being an allergen, not because of its phytoestrogens. If anything, phytoestrogens should help acne.

Dairy milk of any sort is iffi, unless it's raw kefir usually.

Personally this is what I think of milk alternatives:

Soy: great for coffee (I don't drink coffee anymore; hence I don't drink soy..but with all the hormone acting problems raised up, I don't think I would want it)

Oat: YUM, best drink ever..though may not be good with lets say cereal

Rice: probably the best as close as you're going to get to milk (my top choice for cereal)

Hemp: never tried it, but probably the best quality non-milk milk you're going to drink

almond: pretty good actually, especially for cereal.

hazelnut: just as tasty as oat milk

quinoa milk: Im about to make some of that with rolled oats and grouts..I wonder how that will be.

Soy milk is a good alternative but some people are allergic to Soy milk as well. Another alternative is Almond and Rice Milk. They actually taste good belive it or not. Also most people are allergic to eggs and corn.

Alright, so I've been looking EVERYWHERE for Almond and Rice milk, but I can't find it!

Where have you guys succesfully located this milk?

Ugh.. I tried giving up milk today but couldn't do it. I substituted milk with water when I was making cream of wheat... and I gagged the first bite. I've also tried making tomato soup with water instead of milk and it was just horrible. Milk just tastes good in everything... I don't think I can live without it!

^ I used to use soy, but with all the conflicting information, I finally decided to quit since I've learned how to make almond milk: http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/almondmilk.html. The almond milk in stores has lots of additives, and I don't like that, so I think making your own is a great option, and you can freeze in glass canning jars whatever you won't use up in 3-4 days. :)