Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ayron318

Cephalexin...effective?

My derm switched my antibiotics from Minocycline to Cephalexin. The Minocycline was working fine but when I had a horrible itch reaction to Accutane and I went back to her she put me on Cephalexin(God they stink). Anyone use this and have results?

it's not a sulfa drug, it's a cephalosporin. i think it works very well. i haven't had a cyst since i started cephalexin. it took care of almost all of my acne, and maybe if i would have stuck with it longer it would have worked completely. it worked almost immediately. that is, i didn't get a single pimple for the first two weeks i was on it. then i jinxed myself by using a new product on my skin, so i broke out a little, but it was pretty well under control. when i started using accutane i was still on cephalexin for the first two months, and it prevented me from breaking out worse at the beginning of my accutane treatment. IMO, it is a very good antibiotic for acne, the best one i've ever used.

Wow you are right. Thanks for correcting me. I have thought for years it was a sulfa drug! And I'm pretty good about researching stuff before I say anything. Learn something new every day...

I was on this for a month, ended up getting a bad yeast infection and got off of it. It didn't do anything for that month, but I might have not been using it long enough.