Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest AcneProne_1977

Question re: Taking Accutane with Milk

Guest AcneProne_1977

I know it's best to take Accutane with a full meal, but sometimes I just don't have the time. So, I'm wondering what people mean when they say to take the pill with "full fat" milk. Does that mean 2% or homo?? I'm used to drinking skim milk, not sure if I can down a glass of homo...

Anyone know if a glass of 2% is enough fat to take the pill with??

TIA,

Robyn

:)

I often used to take my accutane with a large glass of 2% milk and it worked fine. Once I got bumped up to a higher dose of accutane, however, I felt it would be best to add extra fats (good fats). A couple spoonfulls of natural peanut butter will do the trick perfectly well.

Guest AcneProne_1977
I often used to take my accutane with a large glass of 2% milk and it worked fine. Once I got bumped up to a higher dose of accutane, however, I felt it would be best to add extra fats (good fats). A couple spoonfulls of natural peanut butter will do the trick perfectly well.

Oh yeah. Almonds have tons of great fats. They're very good for you regardless of the accutane, and will help it absorb beautifully. Another thing you could do is pop an Omega-3 fish oil pill, which knocks out three birds with one stone: helps you absorb the Accutane, helps keep cholesterol low, and may keep your skin from getting overly dry.

Good luck on tane!

Guest AcneProne_1977
Oh yeah. Almonds have tons of great fats. They're very good for you regardless of the accutane, and will help it absorb beautifully. Another thing you could do is pop an Omega-3 fish oil pill, which knocks out three birds with one stone: helps you absorb the Accutane, helps keep cholesterol low, and may keep your skin from getting overly dry.

Good luck on tane!

I don't quite get how that makes sense. Isotretinoin is fat-soluble. It shouldn't matter if that fat is saturated, unsaturated, monounsaturated, or omega-3. We're talking about lipids, and that's what omega-3 pills contain. For me, it's worked great to take an omega-3 with my accutane pill. Maybe others have a differing opinion on that, but I think I have just as much authority as the vitamin guy. Your doctor would be the best source of info.

If that scares you, then just stick with the almonds!

Guest AcneProne_1977
I don't quite get how that makes sense. Isotretinoin is fat-soluble. It shouldn't matter if that fat is saturated, unsaturated, monounsaturated, or omega-3. We're talking about lipids, and that's what omega-3 pills contain. For me, it's worked great to take an omega-3 with my accutane pill. Maybe others have a differing opinion on that, but I think I have just as much authority as the vitamin guy. Your doctor would be the best source of info.

If that scares you, then just stick with the almonds!

Using his logic, if you were to extract 3 grams of peanut oil from a jar of natural PB and then fill up a gel-cap with it, it would not be good to take that capsule with your accutane simply because it's "another pill." Hell, there's already hydrogenated soybean oil inside each Accutane pill you take! Lipids, in any form, will increase the bioavailability of the isotretinoin. I'm definitely not going to stop taking my omega-3 pill w/ the accutane pill because Vitamin Guy said not to.

Why are you guys going out of your way to take your pills with fatty foods? I just eat whatever the hell I feel like then take my pill. Regardless its doing the same thing.

Why are you guys going out of your way to take your pills with fatty foods? I just eat whatever the hell I feel like then take my pill. Regardless its doing the same thing.

I know it's best to take Accutane with a full meal, but sometimes I just don't have the time.

I often take my pills with almonds or other nuts. I take 2 a day and always have one with breakfast (I add almonds if the breakfast isn't very fatty) and one with either lunch or dinner, depending which is the bigger meal of the day. Taking accutane makes me feel less quilty about having a bit of chocolate with it too, hehe.

Guest AcneProne_1977
Using his logic, if you were to extract 3 grams of peanut oil from a jar of natural PB and then fill up a gel-cap with it, it would not be good to take that capsule with your accutane simply because it's "another pill." Hell, there's already hydrogenated soybean oil inside each Accutane pill you take! Lipids, in any form, will increase the bioavailability of the isotretinoin. I'm definitely not going to stop taking my omega-3 pill w/ the accutane pill because Vitamin Guy said not to.

Guest AcneProne_1977
do you know whether flaxseed oil contains much fat?