Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crevin

What I believe is the leading cause of acne--

I strongly encourage everyone here to go on nice, relaxing walks throughout the day (or night) to rid yourself of stress.

It seems like whenever I get little sleep or am totally stressed over something... I get breakouts. I used to think it was my diet, but now looking back, it seemed like whenever I was extremely stressed, I ate poorly (e.g. I would walk in the door from work and grab five candy bars). I think it is the STRESS that causes acne, and that eating poorly is merely a reaction to the stress. The eating poorly may not directly affect breakouts.

Anyone else notice this? Up late studying for an exam, so you crank down some junk food? Irritated for whatever reason so you walk over to the store and grab a Snickers?

I am thinking diet has nothing to do with it... and it is the stress... (I recently finished a 1.5 month diet of almost no sugar-- I didn't eat one candy bar/pop/chocolate/candy or any dairy for almost 2 months-- the result? My skin was 'ok' but I recently had a horrible breakout prior to a night of getting 3 hours of sleep and freaking out over a test).

My advice? Go on walks... do more relaxing activities. If you feel stress coming up on you, take a step outside and take some deep breaths.

I agree to what you are saying about stress to a certain degree. When my husband and I got fired 5yrs ago my skin went nuts and broke out to the point where I looked like I had chicken pox on my neck and face! Things have settled down and I have learned to adjust and cope with things. I try not to stress out, but my job sometimes is hell(I work in customer service) I have a 19yr old in college who is stressing about grades and work and her boyfriend, a 17yr old who is trying to find her spot in life and college and my hubby is gone most of the week and his job is stressful enough for the 2 of us, not to mention that other factors like problems arise while he is gone and I have to deal with them such as a car problem, I was the head nut in charge of the insane asylum! meaning I was boss the other day at work and things didn't go smoothly, I have scarfed so much coffee this week and ate half a cake plus soda and chips and anything else that jumped in my mouth! But I have learned that by making my self relax and not stressing I feel better. I do know however that if I eat nuts of any kind or ham or sausage I will have a horrendous break out on my neck. So for me somthings in my diet will affect my skin. Elf

I think stress is definitely related- but if it was the main cause then wouldn't we see a drastic rise in acne with people who are in high stress situations like war zones ect.? There might be, but you'd think that was something easy enough to notice that we would have heard about it (of course, anyone in a war zone has better things to think about, but still.)

Oh I definitely think stress is a factor. I got my severe acne during the worst part of my divorce. But there are other factors too, obviously. Because I didn't have any acne when my ex husband was in Iraq and I was EXTREMELY stressed then too.

Stress and my skin are definitely closely intertwined, no doubt about that...I also find that seasonal/climate changes can cause me to break out as well.

Stress and my skin are definitely closely intertwined, no doubt about that...I also find that seasonal/climate changes can cause me to break out as well.

stress might be a factor, but IMO, I don't believe it's the leading factor. While everyone's different, I really think for women, hormonal issues are likely to be the cause. My stress level has been pretty stable, and the only thing that "cured" my acne was Spironolactone. I'm not saying that stress won't contribute- I'm just saying that for me it wasn't the main cause.

I'm starting to believe (and this is in no way thoroughly researched, so if I'm wrong, go ahead and tear me down :razz: ) that the main culprit in a lot of acne is inflammation- which is why stress, hormones and diet all seem to be related but not the end-all cause.

I know you would like it to be stress, INstead of your 5 chocolate candy bars. But after having acne for 19 yrs and being in constant state of stress for 7 yrs straight...(single parent of 2 boys)

It is not really stress.

It is SUGAR! plain and simple. It does take time..More than just a month and half.. I would suspect Maybe more like 3 months of virtually no sugar intake.

I found this out by mistake. I started to get into bodybuilding and eating what they call a clean diet.

Which has no processed sugar in it. And of course there is a designated cheat day to eat all the sugar you want to.

Now during this whole diet, I decided to utilize a protein shake fast. Called the velocity diet.

During this 2 week period I noticed for the first time in my life had NO NEW ACNE. OMG . I thought to myself how can this be? I had ingested NO sugar at all during this time. The shakes had splenda in it..Just as yuck but hey better than painful cysts and zits.

I spent years and years in denial about my sugar. I am a sugarholic. this acne has EVERYTHING to do with diet.

Still I have no acne. It has been over a month. NO MORE! I still have my cheat days.. ONe day a weeek i eat whatever i want ..much sugar as i want to. What happens when i eat alot of sugar? a few days later i end up with a pimple.. Much more controlled than before. And its gone in a day or 2

Just to give you a lil background? I am almost 35 yrs old and have suffered from moderate to severe acne since the age of 16 with NO BREAKS whatsoever.

And now its gone. UNLESS i eat sugar.

I think those of use who have acne? we are sensitive to rise in sugar in the blood which calls in mass amounts of insulin and mass amounts of hormones and adrenal glands.

IT is really very simple.. QUIT EATING SUGAR! stress has very LIL to do with it.

Take it from me. I have great success ..and my face is alwyas clear. Unless i eat excess sugar. Please stop fooling and deluding yourself.

Also cleanse and fast and eat as healthy as possible that also helps. Been doing that for 4 yrs now.

stress might be a factor, but IMO, I don't believe it's the leading factor. While everyone's different, I really think for women, hormonal issues are likely to be the cause. My stress level has been pretty stable, and the only thing that "cured" my acne was Spironolactone. I'm not saying that stress won't contribute- I'm just saying that for me it wasn't the main cause.

It's funny that you mention having correlated it with your diet like that, because I did the same thing with PMS. I thought that when I ate a lot of sugar, I got acne. Really, it was that after trying to avoid sugar, when I would happen to have a craving, cave, and eat a lot of it would be during PMS. It was just the period breakouts springing up, not a reaction to the sugar. I can eat it during the month with no breakouts, or I can eat healthy during PMS time and still get them. So for me, the leading cause is hormones more than stress.

I took a two week hiatus for myself to unwind and focus on taking care of me. I avoided all sugars, which I do anyways, and all caffeine, which I do anyways. I practised deep breathing and meditation and receiving massage and acupuncture. Of course I stayed true to my regimen and eat healthier than anyone I know period. After that two weeks passed I noticed.......ZERO improvement.

After this I felt defeated and went to a chinese doctor. He told me that my skin issue is essentially an issue with my internal organs and how they process food. He believed that my digestive system was weakened and needed correcting. I even told him about my issue with low blood sugar known as hypoglycemia and an attack of pancreatitis when I was a young boy. He said all of those are contributing factors and they all tie into eachother. What I eat, regardless, whether its deemed good or not, is not being broken down correctly. I can't compare myself to my siblings who all have flawless skin and eat like crap because they do not metabolise foods like my body does. Now I'm taking chinese herbal supplements to see if my skin improves. On week 3 and so far little to no improvement but he said to stick with it and the results will come. I will keep you posted.

Oh ya about the stress. My bro and sis are under heaps of stress daily and not one blemish. Go figure.

Sleep is 100% sure to help, it has made a big difference for me. When I get good sleep (8 hours) every day, after some time my skin becomes much more clear. Not perfect, but clear enough for me to forget about it. I strongly recommend getting 8 hours of sleep EVERY NIGHT.

I think food can also trigger breakouts; if I eat a big bag of chips, or rice (brown or white), and some other things my skin will start to feel hot and oily and then a breakout will occur for sure.

But I also think that, at least in my case, another trigger is masturbation. I cut down to like once a week recently and that + good sleep cleared me up so much I was really happy. Then for some reason this weekend I must have masturbated like four times in three days, and right now I got a major breakout like I didn't have in many weeks.

So now I am certain that I must do the following, it's the only thing that helps: sleep for 8 hours every night, don't eat too much carbs especially white bread and the likes, no masturbation (at least not more than once a week).

This makes sense to me, I just wish I had followed this properly until now so today I wouldn't have a breakout that will probably get worst before it gets better:|

EDIT: BTW before anyone says "oh if that was true then that person I know who doesn't sleep much, or who eats crap food, or who has a lot of sex or masturbates a lot would have acne too but his skin is clear!", well the fact is we ARE different from most people. Yes we have something different about us, which is why we must be careful about the above unlike other people, just like someone with diabetes can't just eat whatever he wants whenever he wants.

I could definitely agree that stress is a factor -- during my most stressful finals weeks in grad school, or during my most stressful projects at work, I definitely found myself breaking out more! Usually the breakouts are the worst toward the end of the stressful time or may not even appear until a week or so after, which makes sense since I've read that it takes 2-3 weeks for your pore to clog before you see the blemish.

However, I've never been one to eat differently when I'm stressed out (I just don't crave any different foods when I'm stressed, does that make me weird?) so I'm pretty sure it wasn't my diet!

Lack of sleep doesn't seem to make much of a difference either .... what causes me to break out is when I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety about an upcoming test or when I'm worried about an upcoming business trip or whatever!

See this is exactly the thing about acne, its so individualistic that everyone has a different cause.

I dont know for me is stress that big a deal for my skin. For me its hormonal (that time of the month is a killer) and coffee. My skin can not not not handle coffee, it just cant. Its the only thing Ive ever reacted to, food wise.