Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cidsa

Regimen stopped working

So I've been doing the BP regimen for over a year now (closer to 2) and I've found that it has stopped working. In the beginning I was doing it once a day and moved to twice a day. But now the effect has completely stopped.

I was very clear for a while, but it slowly came back.. and I did not change the regimen or miss days. Now my face is not clear and I still get big/red zits sometimes. I finally just decided to stop a few weeks ago and my face has stayed the same as it was (not as bad as it was before this regimen). It seems that BP no longer works for me. What should I do?

IMO, based on what I went through with DKR - DKR only made my face worse (and I have TONS of redmarks to prove it). It is great for some people, but it didn't work for me. I found more success with glycolic acid than anything else. Maybe this could work for you as well.

Its possible that your skin has adapted to the low strength BP. Are you using the 2.5%? Sometimes people find their skin adapts to the medicaiton, and then it no longer works as well as it used to. It might be time to up the strength of the BP you are using, or add in something like glycolic or salicylic acid.

if u was on 2.5% than move to 5% stay at it for a few months if its not strong enough go to 10%... but i warn u not to try 10% because it is total dryness... with the 10% youll feel too irritated and youll feel like u r in another dimension in the matrix or something, you cant even laugh, juss 1 smile and ur whole face break into dandruff..( my last sentence makes no sense lol)

I thought Dan said your skin doesn't adjust to Bp and it would always work? I didn't think your skin can adjust to the BP. What good 5% Bp cream are out there? Seems like I always find a bad ingredient in drugstores.

^I know he says that but its not true. My skin adapted to it also. Acne is about more than bacteria on the skin.

Same exact thing for me, I was almost clear for awhile, then very slowly it stopped working as good. I still use it here and there when I feel my skin is a little oily and needs to dry up a bit, but I find I get allergic reactions to it if I use it often.

I too thought the skin couldn't get used to BP. BP works by introducing oxygen into the skin. The bacteria are unable to survive in an oxygenated environment and so die. I don't see how the bacteria could get used to it. Something else must be the reason for your breakouts. Has something else in your life changed? Have you changed any products you use? You should look at other factors before presuming it to be the BP I think. I might be wrong though.

Acne may not survive but your skin may NOT survive either if you get what i mean :P

Your forgetting the part it can also irritate the skin thus causing even MORE acne ;)

Indeed that is why it is supposed to improve acne but like a lot of topical medications they are not 100% effective unfortunately.

Now that I've thought about it some more, I think the improvements stopped when I increased the times I used BP. I went from once a day to twice, which seemed to have done more harm than good.

Plus my anemia has been getting a little worse lately. I've started taking a lot more iron (as per my doctor's request) so that should get sorted. I've found when my anemia is worse my skin is also not doing as well.

I also switched cleansers which may be another source, I will go back to the old one and hopefully will see some improvement again. If not, then I'll have to try something new.

Thanks guys :3

I have been doing the regimen for about three years now and most of the time I am clear. I do get the occasional outbreak, usually because I have tried a new mosturiser or cleanser. So I change back to what I know suits and up the BP until it clears and that seems to sort it out and I go back to being clear.

Perhaps your skin is too irritated which then courses an outbreak. Dropping it down to one application a day again sounds like a good plan. We all have different skin and therefore different acne so find what works for you by a process of elimination and stick with it.

Good luck,

Maddy