Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hopeseed

harsh light

Does anyone know of any methods to maybe dampen the effects of harsh light (other than avoiding it).

I'm not about to go wearing makeup but maybe there is some sort of method to dampen it's affects. My scarring doesn't really bother me in good light so really if I could put something on my face to create this ILLUSION then that would be awesome.

Hmmm maybe that is what the vinegar and lemon juice thing is all about.

i have a light right over my apt front door. i wanted to get all ninja and sneak out late at night, come around the block, and snipe the light bulb out w/ a bb gun. i'd have to do it ninja style cuz i didn't wanna just walk out and break it, in case anyone saw me.

but if you're not inclined to snipe out every light bulb you plan on walking under, i've noticed that if you point your face high, the scars are less apparent. if you have your face low, like you're looking down (which you're probably naturally inclined to do), the shadow makes the scars look worse. i'd say that's one method.

I use my hair a lot to shield my face from backlighting, since almost all my scarring is on my cheeks and jawline. The overhead lighting is tough though.

i have a light right over my apt front door. i wanted to get all ninja and sneak out late at night, come around the block, and snipe the light bulb out w/ a bb gun. i'd have to do it ninja style cuz i didn't wanna just walk out and break it, in case anyone saw me.

One really bad lighting situation is riding on the DC metro (equivalent of the NYC subway) at night. It's as bright as an operating room.

Another place is hair salons. I used to go to a couple with harsh spotlighting, but stopped going because I couldn't stand looking at myself like that for an hour, without even being able to use my hair to hide. Also restaurants and bars - I don't get it. You go there with friends or a date, and you want to look your best and have fun. So there is a spotlight right above you - how dumb is that? It picks up every nook and cranny of each and every scar in sharp relief. And it's not just us acne scar sufferers - other people have their every wrinkle or flaw accented by such lighting as well. Nobody looks good in lighting like this.

The sad thing is, people get paid to design the lighting for these places. They are supposed to want you to feel comfortable hanging around and spending more money. Have they never heard of ambient lighting? You can see just as much, it just FLATTERS rather than makes you look GHASTLY.

Earth to business owners - do you want people to stick around in your restaurant and order expensive desserts and after dinner drinks? Do you want them to have such a fabulous time shopping in your store that they spend longer there and buy more stuff? Do you want them to have such a great experience sitting in the salon chair that they actually come back? Then just go around your establishment and identify each and every harsh fluorescent light or spotlight or otherwise way too bright overhead light and YANK IT OUT.

The tilting your head slightly up thing is good. I have to say, I used to always do the opposite just as a natural reaction, but really it's best to hold your head high. It makes you look much better.

Another thing is smiling. Smiling usually minimizes rolling scars on the cheek area.

One really bad lighting situation is riding on the DC metro (equivalent of the NYC subway) at night. It's as bright as an operating room.

Another place is hair salons. I used to go to a couple with harsh spotlighting, but stopped going because I couldn't stand looking at myself like that for an hour, without even being able to use my hair to hide. Also restaurants and bars - I don't get it. You go there with friends or a date, and you want to look your best and have fun. So there is a spotlight right above you - how dumb is that? It picks up every nook and cranny of each and every scar in sharp relief. And it's not just us acne scar sufferers - other people have their every wrinkle or flaw accented by such lighting as well. Nobody looks good in lighting like this.

The sad thing is, people get paid to design the lighting for these places. They are supposed to want you to feel comfortable hanging around and spending more money. Have they never heard of ambient lighting? You can see just as much, it just FLATTERS rather than makes you look GHASTLY.

Earth to business owners - do you want people to stick around in your restaurant and order expensive desserts and after dinner drinks? Do you want them to have such a fabulous time shopping in your store that they spend longer there and buy more stuff? Do you want them to have such a great experience sitting in the salon chair that they actually come back? Then just go around your establishment and identify each and every harsh fluorescent light or spotlight or otherwise way too bright overhead light and YANK IT OUT.

funny you say that (wear hat). i was feelin good. skin's been shitty since school started (2 months ago). but it's been clearing up (i'm scarred BESIDES the crappy pimplez. it's the scar forum, right). plus, i was told there's no class on monday (i was gonna skip anyway, but now it's SANCTIONED). so, i felt like celebrating.

i threw on a hat and coat, and hit the door. went to the liqour store, and they got those cheap flourescent lights. not the good kind, like walmart and target have. oh no no. we should BE so lucky if all lights were the good kind of cheap flourescent. in those stores, that cheap flourescent light doesn't illuminate my horrible face that much. not compared to the liqour store-type flourescent lighting.

ANYWAY, i'm deciding what to get, scrolling through the beer aisle. man, i'm feelin good. then i look at my reflection, and i was like 'HOLY FUCK is that what i look like!' HA! mind you, this wasn't a mirror i looked in. it was a frickin cheap window, and even in THAT reflection, i looked like hell. i felt like i got stabbed in the heart. again.

score this time: acne 1, bug 0