Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PusMan

What causes cysts?

A nodule or cyst is an inflamed, pus-filled lesion lodged deep within the skin. Nodules/Cyst develop when the contents of a comedo have spilled into the surrounding skin and the local immune system responds, producing pus. The most severe form of acne lesion, it may persist for months, their contents hardening into a deep cyst. Both nodules and cysts often leave deep scars although proper treatment by a dermatologist could minimize the chances of getting scars.

Nodules/Cyst develop when the contents of a comedo have spilled into the surrounding skin and the local immune system responds, producing pus.

Because of blockages of oil glands that have burst open and produced inflammation and pus in the surrounding tissue inside the skin.

okay. Can you or anybody else give me a more general explanation, like junk food causes the oil glands to bursts()?

basically it is caused by genetics and hormones, how hormonal fluctuations effect your oil glands and skin.

the oil glands don't burst BTW

I doubt junk food will make cyst burst. Usually it takes up to 2 to 3 mths for the cyst to come to the surface on it own and then it will burst. Don't pick or squeeze them out as this causes premature bursting and usually you get scarring if you do that.

basically it is caused by genetics and hormones, how hormonal fluctuations effect your oil glands and skin.

I doubt junk food will make cyst burst. Usually it takes up to 2 to 3 mths for the cyst to come to the surface on it own and then it will burst. Don't pick or squeeze them out as this causes premature bursting and usually you get scarring if you do that.

It does burst inside the skin.

yes, pretty much it comes down to genetics, but you can get rid of them and prevent new ones.

with treatment: antibiotics, strong retinoids, accutane. ect.. i used to have cystic acne too. but haven't had a cyst in probably a year at least.

Actually buddy, it's genetic. I'm in that cyst pool to. Thanks to mom. Anyways, antibiotics and retinols (retin-a micro) did not work for me, I am going on Accutane next week. Very hopeful.

In the mean time you may want to ask your derm to inject the cyst's with cortisone, this is if you have about 15 or less that are active on your face. The redness and swelling goes down within 24 hours. A work of causin this may leave indentations on you face but untreated cysts may have the same effect.

Good Luck