Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello All

I'm one of those lurker people that only took time to register on the forums today :surprised:

I suppose its time to give you a rundown of whats going on, Once upon a time...ok well its no fairy tale, its about about a greasy prince charming.

I am 25, and didnt really suffer badly in school all those years ago, i used to get the odd spot i would squeeze them and gone within a couple of days...i miss those days.. now i do remember back them having lots and lots of blackheads around my nose and the corners of it being rather oily. the blackheads remain to this day but its not oily so i kind of ignored it.

Roll on a few years of that to about the age of 19-20, college days, the spots i was getting then were inflamed, bigish, would lurk around for a week for 2 with redness, but that was ok, i mean 2 spots was bareable do i didnt really do much about it. It slowly get worse however and i get these huge and when i say huge i mean HUGGGGEEEE swollen lumps under my skin that would redden my entire cheek, it looked like i'd been punched it was that bad.

Around the time i was getting these large cheek spots that never EVER reached a head and were super painful, i remember the exact day i noticed a couple of spots on my shoulder while i was in the shower, i thought "huh wierd place to get spots, oh well" and ignored it, next day a couple more friends appeared on the same shoulder. again thought nothing of it, i really should have, my lower back start to break out, with the type that i had on my cheeks, big, painful, but these got to heads and bled and hurt all the time so i couldnt even wear white or go swimming anymore.

About the time when i couldnt stand it anymore, that being the group of shoulder spots having a gang war with the lower back ones causing all sorts of messes inbetween, my chest started to break out :boohoo:

Time for the first GP visit where i was given Minocycline, all this did for 3 months was make my face a little itchy, no acne improvement at all, so i got disheartened and didnt go back for a while. Later, maybe age 22 i went back, this time Erythromycin for well over a year.. was good for the first few months, chest looked nice..then boom slowly slowly returned to what it was at the time i first started.

in Jan 07, i broke out worse than i ever have in my life, nothing had come close to this, entire face covered, pain, blood the works. Having lost faith in my GP i started looking around the web for stuff to buy to help, then hello DKR, using a 5% Quinoderm BP cream i got maybe 70-80% clear, but i would still breakout badly from time to time, always red marks, always looked like i had acne, which i do!!

Now here i am BP wont help me, i dont want to bleach anymore clothes or bed sheets and putting the stuff on each night isnt that enjoyable. The time comes, back to the GP in mid August, i said i've been here twice before with acne and gotten antibiotics, nothing works, i'm spending a small fortune on BP creams and over the counter products, i need a Derm referal, and without even looking at my skin i got one...being the UK i had to wait 6 weeks to see one on the NHS. The day came 2nd October only a week earlier i stopped BP and broke out, it was just clearing up when i went, skin looked ok i suppose which scared me as i might not get what i wanted, that being Roaccutane, but the Derm said well your face doesnt look to bad but your back is awful.. hearing it make me sad and happy at the same time, like YES MY ACNE IS BAD ENOUGH TO GET THIS THING, but with the same, CRAP MY ACNE IS BAD ENOUGH TO GET THIS THING going through my head.

I was told to get a blood test that day, so off i went, got stuck covered the vampire nurse in blood, and that i had to phone back on the Friday when the tests are in to see if i can actually pick it up. Turns out my ALT levels were slightly raised so i had to get another blood test i was told, so off i went again, another blood test but they filled my prescription anyway and told me the blood test was just to make sure. Good.

So there it is i started 60mg a day from the 5th of October, i am 6ft 2, weigh around 80kg. I think i get upped to 80mg a day from early December, not sure, anyway i suppose i need to catch up on whats been happening to this skin of mine

Day 1 - I took the 3 pills, thinking crap a breakout is coming

Day 2 - Another 3 pills, when are the side effects going to come??

Day 3 - FUN!! 3 very large whiteheads on my chin, just ripe for a squeeze

Day 4 - A few more whiteheads, and i think the other 3 refilled, a couple on the corners of my nose too

Day 5 - More whiteheads, must be the breakout, so soon too yay

Day 6 - More and more and more are coming

Day 7 - More??

Day 8 - Smaller whiteheads today, but like 9 of them

Day 9 - Old whiteheads kind of flakey, and chin in a world of hurt and redness from the swelling of these things

Day 10 - Chin red, little dry, more whiteheads

Day 11 - I think my lips are getting slightly dry, could be i havent drank enough water in the past day, who knows, but same old, whiteheads, hurt, reminds me of my breakout in Jan

Thats it so far, fun, skin alot worse than it was when i started, makes shaving very hard indeed, to the point where i have shaved twice in 11 days. i noticed something today i had this small skin coloured bump on my nose for like 2 years, i tried everything to get rid of it, seems one of those whiteheads that appeared around my nose was that thing and its gunk coming out, now its just red mark from the spot but smooth, a small plus but right now i gotta look for improvements and not curse the way its looking worse :surprised:

Heyhey! And welcome...

I've been taking Roaccutane for not-quite-three months, and my skin has been clear of new breakouts since circa day 25 - but it's not been plain-sailing, getting there... check out my log, if you care to.

All the best, dude. Keep us informed.

oh believe me i've read and reread so many logs its untrue, trying to see what to expect, what i thought would happen is happening, what can i do about it nada. can i bitch about it, hell yes :surprised:

Day 12 -

Have a spot growing below my eyebrow, strange place to get one wonder how long that will take to heal.

8 or 9 small whiteheads on my chin today when i woke up, pain is slowly going away from earlier breakouts, lips are fine, some bumps on my nose. Still feel..yuck

Day 13 -

Not as many whiteheads as previous days but they each one seems to be getting more painful, chin and around mouth is still the main problem and breakout area, few problems on bridge of nose.

A spot appeared right by my lip, kind of swollen looks like i have been in a fight with the swelling of it

Day 14 -

Yet more whiteheads today, i wish this would stop so i could actually heal a little, more than yesterday and i can feel some cyst type lumps starting to appear below the jawline

Still no dry lips, skin i think is flaking a little, other than that nothing but more spots since starting

A strange thought after watching supersize me, kind of like how people that diet get to hold up blocks of lard to indicate how much weight they lost, for shock value.. i wonder what a bucket filled with all the crap thats ever came out of my face looked like, and how much there would be. *barf*

A strange thought after watching supersize me, kind of like how people that diet get to hold up blocks of lard to indicate how much weight they lost, for shock value.. i wonder what a bucket filled with all the crap thats ever came out of my face looked like, and how much there would be. *barf*

Haha I always wonder that too. I could fill a cup I reckon.

I could have almost wrote your log myself. Except im only 19 and had spots all through school.

I started a week ago today (11th) all on the NHS too. The doctor was equally impressed (if you can call it that) with my back, although my face and neck in my opinion are worse.

Good luck with your treatment, hopefully we both get clear.

Day 15 -

Suprise 9ish whiteheads round mouth and chin, i think some cysts are starting to form below the jawline...when is this going to end 2 weeks and nothing but breakout *sigh* and worse breakouts than it ever was before.

Lips are still fine, skin feels horrid to the touch, but its not really dry, just strange

a fellow UKer here. got derm appointment in just under 4 weeks. Ive said past few years i wouldnt go back on accuntane but enoughs enough. Skin has been getting a lot worse past few months and I want it properly sorted.

Hated the first time i was on it, but i hopefully can handle it. Just hope i dont break out too bad...

I just wish i could shave, i dont know if its dry skin, or itchy from not shaving but my chin is driving me crazy.. forces me to keep touching my face, which obviously isnt helping things much

Time to slather my face in sudocrem before tonights shower for a while i think, at least that seems to stop the itchy feeling

Day 16 -

Woke up with only 3 whiteheads :D 1 was self inflicted from me picking at a clogged pore, a couple on chin, skin is flakey now for sure.

Last night i decided not to moisturize before going to bed to see if that was causing breakouts, i just put sudocrem all over. my skin feels good, but doesnt look good :D

long may that continue into tomorrow

Day 17 -

2 smallish whiteheads today, barely visable, nothing but sudocrem on face again last night i think i may keep that up till the dryness is really starting to kick.

Lips still perfectly fine, i am using lip blam just because i have it could be the reason i'm yet to feel anything. Prevention is better than cure.

it does feel like i'm sleeping alot more, i'm either lazy or thats accutanes doing..all in all face is ok, as soon as a little redness goes away should be alot better

Day 18 -

woke up with 2 very minor whiteheads, skin feels really good, no lip dryness at all still :surprised:

was told today my skin was looking good from 1 week ago, being gradual and super critical i perhaps hadn't noticed.

painful spots on the sides of neck after i attempted to shave, huge irritation marks i believe, they should however not look so angry in a couple of days, all in all :dance:

As soon as some of the red spots vanish from the side of my mouth, skin will look pretty good i think apart from blackheads starting to appear on my noise grrrrr. oh well at least you have to look hard to see those, its the red thats annoying

Day 19 -

1 spot on corner of mouth, pre accutane i would be soooo happy..and during i can only think its going to get better, imagine zero spots in a morning...fantasy.

Sudocrem really helping i feel, whoever invented that stuff i need to buy him a drink

All in all good morning, chin redness from IB fading away too, nice..

p.s I LOVE THIS DRY FEELING!!

Day 20 -

A couple of small spots on my cheek, hate those, as the red marks stick around forever and a day, can see all sorts of blackheads appearing on my nose *yuck*

skin feels sort of clammy to the touch, even though its not only way i can describe it. may attempt a shave tonight since theres no real swelling or anything that will really bleed if i'm careful

i'll put today down as one of those crappy rollercoaster accutane days..bit crappy, but still getting better

i sucked down 1200mg of accutane..weeee :dance:

::update:: had a bit of a shave tonight, didnt use a manual just ran the flippy sideburn part of an electric around gently. worked pretty well and removed alot of skin flakes quite nicely, i may do that every couple of days

Day 21 -

So today marks 3 weeks, today also marks the first time in 13 years i didnt wake up with new spots...i'm in shock

Yes red marks are still around but i hope this no spot thing carries on those will be gone in no time i feel

all in all GOOD DAY!!

Day 22 -

Nothing came up this morning either, only thing i really have is flakey skin on the nose and 3 or 4 red marks on my left cheek. blackheads that were visible a few days ago seem to be lessening...this is awesome :surprised:

i've found that the Eucerin dry skin relief face cream + sudocrem at night really really is a good thing

Day 23 -

3 tiny spots today :( 2 small ones on chin and a small one on forehead, i knew it was too good to last. still no lip dryness at all, this is a good thing

Day 24 -

Those 3 spots seem to be almost healed, after a long old soak in the shower last night all the dry skin on my nose seems gone, and i think with it went ALOT of blackheads.. i still have a few but wow this stuff really does work miracles.

aside from the odd flakey bit of skin which is nothing compared to when i was smearing BP all over the place, i have no side affects, no dry lips, no headaches, no joint pain..and best of all few to zero spots each morning :surprised:

I was REALLY expecting dry lips, anyone not had them at all during treatment, or not had them kick in till say month 2 or 3? either way i'm not complaining right now hehe

Day 25 -

Blood test on Friday to check i'm doing good still, as for skin goes this is the clearest i have been in 10 years, and only 25 days in.. if only i'd known this sooner i would have done this earlier and skipped the pain, embarrassment, and awkward social situations of the past dozen years. And all this about side effects, its worse dealing with spots than dry skin.. and the lip thing dunno what thats all about, they havent changed!

even though this is day 25, there is a long way to go, if you truely want to be free of waking up and running to the mirror this IS the way i dont doubt it at all. This is making me as happy as when i had lazer eye surgery and didnt have glasses or contacts anymore.. medical science is a wonderous thing!!

and when i say clear i mean my face, however my back and chest still a mess of red marks, but i can cover those with a tshirt so i'm not too fussed...yet

Day 26 -

Skin pretty good today, even after a poor nights sleep, skin doenst even feel dry anymore..kind of scaring me a little as i want side effects to prove to myself something good is happening. Well something good IS happening, no spots again this morning...but it cant continue like that surely??

Day 27 -

a small spot or 2 around the jawline this morning, kind of looking a little pink today. red marks are fading away on cheek, they always take a lonnnnng time on there for me

i'm sure someone out there is reading this :confused: echo......echoo.....