Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jonichelle

To Vegan or not to Vegan?

Personally a vegetarian or vegan diet would wreak havoc on both my skin and health.

On the other side of the spectrum I have gone over a month eating 100% animal products and nothing vegetable(not even spices) with no problems.

I think I remeber one vegetarian on this board that pretty much cleared his skin, however he did eat lots eggs and raw dairy. He ate no grains and no more than one piece of fruit a day.

Aha! it was this guy:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...22&hl=clear

I am still not totally sure that this guy cleared his skin, it would be interesting to hear from him now, or in a few months, but I think in his case it might be too early to tell.

I think I remeber one vegetarian on this board that pretty much cleared his skin, however he did eat lots eggs and raw dairy. He ate no grains and no more than one piece of fruit a day.

You haven't been here long enough definitely:

there's ~ Acne Be Gone Fairy ~, Dancewithpenguins, Brunhilda, Boddah, Redban, Panda Day, Leopardskinny, Maeve, DejaClaireVoyant, Orangepeel, Philidias ...

Just so you are aware... Some of these people did not clear their skin through vegan/vegetarian measures and still have not cleared their skin. Hopefully they will post and correct you. I am not sure about the rest, but I do know that some are definitely wrong because they still post here and talk about it.

So do we have anyone on the sight who used only diet - either vegan or paleo - who has pictures - before and after? And has been clear for a while?

Acne be gone fairy definately has had great results with the vegan diet, that is true. I think panda also was having good results.

I remember reading ~Acne Be Gone Fairy~ eats fish and meat now and then and is not a strict veggie.

Well even if she is just on a plant-based diet ... I don't think that a 3% of animal food would make any difference. Trace amount of animal foods are not enough to have any effect on ones diet and someone who eat 96% vegan and 4% animal foods is still a good example that contradict the belief that you can't get clear skin through a veg* diet or that you need lot of meat or a paleo diet to clear yourself.

So do we have anyone on the sight who used only diet - either vegan or paleo - who has pictures - before and after? And has been clear for a while?

Maybe go vegan for the animals sake? You need nothing from animal sources that can't be got elsewhere.. Switching to a diet free from animal products alone won't clear your skin.. because obviously as a vegan you are still aloud to eat sugary and fried stuff and things with chemicals in etc etc.. you need to cut those things out mainly and start cutting further things out once you've done all that until you pinpoints certain foods that make your skin worse.

I remember reading ~Acne Be Gone Fairy~ eats fish and meat now and then and is not a strict veggie.

Well even if she is just on a plant-based diet ... I don't think that a 3% of animal food would make any difference. Trace amount of animal foods are not enough to have any effect on ones diet and someone who eat 96% vegan and 4% animal foods is still a good example that contradict the belief that you can't get clear skin through a veg* diet or that you need lot of meat or a paleo diet to clear yourself.

Ok, thats it.... Healthoid your thread is amazing and just what I was looking for when I posted this question.. I really needed to see before and after pics. Not that I would accuse anyone of lying, I see no reason (especially on this sight, and if they are as clear as they say they are) not to post pictures.. It's the first thing I did, I am here to get help, who cares how bad I look now without makeup, I am here to look better! Plus I found if you post a decent looking pic with makeup to, it makes you feel alot better. I have decided to change my diet starting Meow!! Hope I will be worthy of you thread one day. I will be doing it without any supplements other than a daily multi vitamin with calcium ( which is very important for us girlies) and a water soluble fiber additive.

New diet for Jo starting now:

1. Absolutely no Dairy..

2. No wheat products

3. No redmeat - mostly seafood..

4. Stop adding salt, use herbs..

5. At least 3 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables everyday

6. Getting on the ACV - all the pics I have seen for it are amazing, and it's so cheap what can it hurt... 4 tsp a day.

7. Lots and lots of water

8. Down 100% daily recomended fiber a day.

I already get plenty of sun and am up before sunrise every day... But I will try harder to get a full 8 hrs of sleep a night.

Three questions...

1. how bad are legumes in regard to acne? I am a big soymilk person. Actually I love all soy products from raw beans to protein shakes. Is this something I may need to give up? Will it sabatoge my whole diet?

2. Sunscreen. As stated before I am in the sun alot, and I need sun protection since sun damage is not only cancer causing, but the biggest factor in aging.. I would hate to be zit free just to have a whole bunch o' wrinkles. Does anyone know of some sort of organic sunscreen, or even something that you could whip up? Don't know if that is a stupid question but I have always found that everything in life has a natural alternative... any thoughts?

3. Since BP primarily works by oxidizing the skin, could I not get the same effect with Hydrogen Peroxide or baking soda.. If I were to use another natural product what is the best method?

I will start posting pictures and keep a food journal in my blog... Lets see how this goes!

Any suggestions to diet welcome, just would like some proof (ie pictures) to back them up...

^As far as legumes, I think you really should do some testing on yourself to see what you can handle. In general, legumes are harder to digest. MOre for some people than others {why its typically thought of that beans cause gas}. Ive eaten beans all my life, and in general I dont think they are hard for me to digest. But Ive recently discovered that I may have an allergy to chickpeas. Im going to test this repeatedly {so far Ive had reactions a few times after eating them but it always could have just been a bad batch or something}.

Refried beans seem to be a little harder on me too, but I can still eat them generally.

Ive found that I can eat huge servings of black beans {love them and they are some of the healthiest of the beans} without any gas or tummy problems and no allergic reaction.

Ive never noticed any beans having a direct effect on my skin, but an allergic reaction could add to internal problems which add to breakouts. Also all beans contain anti-nutrients the closer they are to their raw state, so its very important to cook your beans slowly for a long time {I usually cook mine for 15-20 mins slowly simmering, and of course they are canned so they are already soaked or precooked}. Lots of cooking helps break down some of the antinutrients.

I say eat a diet free of all grains, beans, dairy, etc for a week. Then test one possibly allergen. Really listen to how you feel. Your body might be able to tell you when something is not right. I know I felt a direct allergic response from those chickpeas. Continue this process with anything you think might be hard to digest or an allergen.

Ok, thats it.... Healthoid your thread is amazing and just what I was looking for when I posted this question.. I really needed to see before and after pics. Not that I would accuse anyone of lying, I see no reason (especially on this sight, and if they are as clear as they say they are) not to post pictures.. It's the first thing I did, I am here to get help, who cares how bad I look now without makeup, I am here to look better! Plus I found if you post a decent looking pic with makeup to, it makes you feel alot better. I have decided to change my diet starting Meow!! Hope I will be worthy of you thread one day. I will be doing it without any supplements other than a daily multi vitamin with calcium ( which is very important for us girlies) and a water soluble fiber additive.

New diet for Jo starting now:

1. Absolutely no Dairy..

2. No wheat products

3. No redmeat - mostly seafood..

4. Stop adding salt, use herbs..

5. At least 3 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables everyday

6. Getting on the ACV - all the pics I have seen for it are amazing, and it's so cheap what can it hurt... 4 tsp a day.

7. Lots and lots of water

8. Down 100% daily recomended fiber a day.

I already get plenty of sun and am up before sunrise every day... But I will try harder to get a full 8 hrs of sleep a night.

Three questions...

1. how bad are legumes in regard to acne? I am a big soymilk person. Actually I love all soy products from raw beans to protein shakes. Is this something I may need to give up? Will it sabatoge my whole diet?

2. Sunscreen. As stated before I am in the sun alot, and I need sun protection since sun damage is not only cancer causing, but the biggest factor in aging.. I would hate to be zit free just to have a whole bunch o' wrinkles. Does anyone know of some sort of organic sunscreen, or even something that you could whip up? Don't know if that is a stupid question but I have always found that everything in life has a natural alternative... any thoughts?

3. Since BP primarily works by oxidizing the skin, could I not get the same effect with Hydrogen Peroxide or baking soda.. If I were to use another natural product what is the best method?

I will start posting pictures and keep a food journal in my blog... Lets see how this goes!

Any suggestions to diet welcome, just would like some proof (ie pictures) to back them up...

2. I really recommend you stay away from sunscreen and use as few products on your face as possible. I am not sure how much sun is alot for you, but if it is an hour or less a day, then definitely don't worry about it. If it is longer, then you need to build up a tan until you don't get burnt anymore, but do it slowly. Also, while the sun does age your skin, it is nowhere near as bad as most people believe. When you are 40, you will still look 40. You aren't supposed to look young when you are not anyway.

Well when I said I spend alot of time outdoors I mean like 5 to 7 hours a day in the sun.. Sometimes more. I am in the Army.

So, yeah I need some kind of sun protection. Not only does the sun make my spots darker, I also get darkening of the upper lip - since that is where sweat is bad. It's not pretty.

Danny, it only recently occurred to me while browsing through my green smoothie post a few days ago that it was you who got me on the right path and reminded me of Dr. Fuhrman. Thank you so much. You have changed my way of living (and many people around me as well), and who knows how many others' that you don't even know about. It's funny, I signed up on these boards to help others learn about the benefits of green smoothies for their skin, and I ended up being helped myself with my overall health. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being so helpful on these boards Danny. :)

Danny, it only recently occurred to me while browsing through my green smoothie post a few days ago that it was you who got me on the right path and reminded me of Dr. Fuhrman. Thank you so much. You have changed my way of living (and many people around me as well), and who knows how many others' that you don't even know about. It's funny, I signed up on these boards to help others learn about the benefits of green smoothies for their skin, and I ended up being helped myself with my overall health. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being so helpful on these boards Danny. :)

Wow thanks to you !!! :wub:

That made my day :)

I'm glad if I can help a little, if 1% of the reason why someone feel better and is smiling is something I did ... well, I can't think of a better feeling than that.

If you believe humans had evolved from monkeys/apes, then it'd seem logical to eat a diet closer to what they eat. After all, our organs and systems within our bodies have evolved based on that type of diet over hundreds of thousands of years, and it'd seem the way they have evolved would be biased and efficient toward that diet type.