Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Cubsfan

Aesthera Isolaz PPX

Just got my first isolaz treatment today. She recommended that I go off the retin-a micro and aside from the isolaz, only use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer.. at least for now. The procedure was painless as they promised. Just like a little prick.. but not bad at all. The part that hurt was after that, she did some extractions to get out anything extra. That wasn't fun.. but wasn't unbearable or anything. Then, she zapped those spots with the light again, but without the suction. My face looked pretty crazy when she was done. I was realllly pink and my pimples were red and angry looking. Kinda crusty and oozy and just plain gross. The redness died down quickly.. within like 15 minutes.. and was pretty much back to "normal" within an hour or so. Right now the pimples are big crusty flakes, which isn't attractive, but they look like they're going away so I can't complain. It's not terrible.. and I only had the treatment 5 hours ago. I don't expect things to get too much better now though. She said she can almost promise me it will get worse before it gets better, and for the next 3 weeks or so I'll probably hate her. She wants me back once a week for awhile. I'll post back more as I go incase anyone wants to know about it in the future. Hope this works!!

I am going for my first ppx laser treatment tomorrow- she does microdermabrasion first and then the treatment. Keeping fingers crossed

I have had about 5 treatments with this so far..and I am really happy with the way it is working. It is $200 per treatment, but at the doctor I am seeing, that includes a chemical peel as well as the ppx. I have tried everything (accutane, birth control, topical meds, antibiotics, etc, as well as other laser treatments) and this seems to be the only thing that has given me consistent results. it is expensive, but for the results i have seen well worth it!! not only has my skin dramatically cleared up, but my overall skin tone seems to be improving.

the only problem is not a lot of doctors offer the treatment yet, so i have to drive about an hour away to get it done (i live in the chicagoland area) but i would definitely recommend!!

Hello,

Just like you I am pretty desparate after having tried everything under the sun with no success. i am cautiosly excited about Isolaz, but so afraid to get dissapointed once again. It sounds like you had a great success?! Was it sustained over time?

Thank you so much in advance for your reply!

ok - like many people on this forum i have adult acne and have tried:

roaccutane, all the over the counter gels, every chemical peel and facial out there.

my skin is looking clearer than ever now (still the odd couple spots). i have just had my 3rd isolaz ppx treatment. I have 2 more to go! my pigmentation (from years of using the sun to dry out my spots!) is much less, those annoying hairs you get ontop of the lip are less (helps in hair removal) my spots are less and current ones heal and are gone quicker. overall complexion is better. I find the treatment a little uncomfortable as they cover your eyes and the laser head sucks at your skin and then there is a zap of light and the skin feels warm. it is red for about a day and the pigment areas on my skin go a bit blotchy red then peel off.

i also use a home microdermabration kit. i use it just before my treatment as this helps get rid of the dead skin and enables the laser treatment to be more affective (although if you have sensitive skin maybe not good idea but it works for me)

also take 1 tetralysal 300 (equivalent to 300mg tetracycline) every morning (1/2 hours before breakfast)

also use DUAC once daily gel on my face at night (its powerful stuff and i use only a thin layer as it dries out your skin but really helps kill the spots)

Yasmin pill

in the morning and evening i use AGERA ultra mild cleanser (AGERA is a good acne range)

I also drink 2 and half lts of WATER a day - i find that it really clears my skin although initially it got worse initially as my body was expelling the toxins etc. but i saw an improvement after a few weeks

all the above is used with the laser treatment

the great thing about PPX is that you can continue using your medication with it. (although there is some thatyou cant take ie roaccutane etc)

in the UK each treatment costs £195!!!

i am told i will have to do a maintenance top up every few months once i have finished my course of 5

my spots around my jawline (always the worst) got worse after the first treament as it was sucking out the horrible stuff but are now better

So earlier this year i recieved 5 treatments, the last was on Feb 20th. in the following months i noticed my skin gradually getting better. and instead of dealing with breakouts of 5-10 pimples.. i would only get 1 or 2. Even though my skin was never perfect. I look back now and realized how much it had improved. It was hard to really notice the effects at the time because it was so gradual.

But, in the last month or so i have been getting my pre-ppx breakouts again, which is why i am back on the forum. I forgot that this is not a permanent treatment and only lasts about a year. Now i am debating going back for a second round, because i really do believe that the treatments made things better. for a decent amount of time

. so to reiterate.. i guess my 5 treatments ending in late feb. lasted until September... at no point in this 7 month span was my skin perfect, but alot more managable that what i am dealing with now.. I do recommend this treatment to others if they have the money, i will be happy to answer any questions

Hi -

I saw the recent posts on Isolaz..... I've pm'd a few of you to find out more and especially if I should give it a try. Here is some information about me and my current skin dilemna.

I'm a 40 year old female and was on Accutane last year for mild/moderate acne. I get acne on my jawline, chin, and a little on my forehead. The jaw and chin are my worst areas - I tend to get small red pimples and a few whiteheads. I was clear on Accutane and up until 2 months ago (about 7 months post Tane) then the acne crept back. :( Anyway, my Derm. said I could do another round of Accutane (and even stay on very low maintenance dose) or try the Isolaz. As you may know or have read, Accutane is kinda hard on the body (but does work wonders) so I'm nervous starting again. What's your honest opinion of Isolaz? Did you get worse before it got better or did it start to clear slowly from the first or second treatment? I don't mind spending the money on treatment that works, even if I have to get maintenance treatments every few months or so. Do you still get Isolaz? How many treatments so far? Do you use a retinoid or topical in the morning and night to? If so, what?

Please let me know your input. Thanks SO much!!

Yvette

Hi -

I should add that I have sensitive skin and cant tolerate BP or sulfa washes. I can tolerate a retinoid at night (which I use 3 times a week). I was using Finacea in the morning but am finding it to harsh for me. It stings/burns and if that's still happening after 10 months use, then maybe it's not for me. Any other skincare tips to keep clearer?

Thanks again.

Yvette

Yvette,

Hi. I have had 7 of the Isolaz treatments. As I understand it, it is a very safe laser. The suction stretches the skin and so the light does not have to be as powerful to get as deep, so it is not damaging surrounding tissue.

I would defintely recommend trying this before the accutane again. Its always good to find something that works, other than accutane. I have also used accutane (five courses) and now cannot find a doctor that will prescribe it anymore to me. Might as well find something that works other than accutane.

I would say it has helped me 50-75%, and given my track record, this is good news!!

My skin is very reactive skin. You can have it done on a lower setting the first time to see how you do. My skin stays red for about 20-30 minutes only. My treatments are $100/each performed by a PA. I use Retin-A cream .05% daily, but do not use it 2-3 days before a treatment.

Hey Stubborn,

Thanks for your note. I do have a few more questions if you can answer.

How often do you have treatments (ie. spacing)? After each treatment, did you get worse and then better or? Does your face feel smoother after treatment? Is it like the vacuum sucks up the clogged pores and acne on the surface? Leaving the surface clearer and probably aiding in pushing up clogged pores? Also, it sounds like you can use your retin A a few days after the treatment and then up to a few days before? I've not heard of a lot of success stories with Isolaz (just a few) but more that acne just kept getting worse and worse... I would hate to spend money on loads of treatment and not to get results. But yes, part of me is intrigued, as it would be less harsh on my body than Accutane for sure.

Many thanks again!

Regards,

Yvette

Yvette,

Hi. I have had 7 of the Isolaz treatments. As I understand it, it is a very safe laser. The suction stretches the skin and so the light does not have to be as powerful to get as deep, so it is not damaging surrounding tissue.

I would defintely recommend trying this before the accutane again. Its always good to find something that works, other than accutane. I have also used accutane (five courses) and now cannot find a doctor that will prescribe it anymore to me. Might as well find something that works other than accutane.

I would say it has helped me 50-75%, and given my track record, this is good news!!

My skin is very reactive skin. You can have it done on a lower setting the first time to see how you do. My skin stays red for about 20-30 minutes only. My treatments are $100/each performed by a PA. I use Retin-A cream .05% daily, but do not use it 2-3 days before a treatment.

How often do you have treatments (ie. spacing)?

The first 3-4, I had them once a week. Then after that, they've been 2 and 3 weeks apart.

After each treatment, did you get worse and then better or?

No, I would not say that after each treatment I got worse and then better. I would say that if a pimple/cyst is in the right stage, then the Isolaz would make it so that it could be popped more easily, and thus heal. I would also say that I noticed that whereas before a cyst could take 2 weeks to come and go, while I have been on the treatment, a cyst will come and go in 4-5 days. So, the light has helped with my inflammatory reaction, and that is decreased.

Does your face feel smoother after treatment?

No, but the medical assistant at my dr's office gets the treatment and she says thats what it does to her face. Her face is clear, though she has the post inflammatory marks, so I can see she once had the acne.

Is it like the vacuum sucks up the clogged pores and acne on the surface? Leaving the surface clearer and probably aiding in pushing up clogged pores?

Yes, that is what the vacuum does. But also what happens, is the vacuum pulls the skin and stretches it, and then at that same time, the "pulse" of light is "fired". So, the light goes into the stretched skin.

Also, it sounds like you can use your retin A a few days after the treatment and then up to a few days before?

Yes, my PA just told me not to use the Retin A (or doxy) 3 days before a treatment. Then after having the treatment in the morning, I will use the Retin A that evening. The RetinA just increases the risk of burning.

I've not heard of a lot of success stories with Isolaz (just a few) but more that acne just kept getting worse and worse... I would hate to spend money on loads of treatment and not to get results.

Well, everyone is different. I'm a pretty good success story! I have been told by at least 5 dermatologists that i have the most resistant acne they have ever seen. And the Isolaz has improved my acne by about 50-75%. The only other thing I am doing concomitently, which could have helped in addition to the Isolaz is I am taking a buttload of vitamins (A,B,C,E,Zinc, Calcium,Magnesium, Niacinamide). But I really doubt vitamins would help this much.

But yes, part of me is intrigued, as it would be less harsh on my body than Accutane for sure.

If you decide to do it, let us know how it goes!! Let me know if you have more questions.

Yvette (and others),

One more thing:

My face did not really improve until the 5th or 6th treatment. I am not sure if this is the typical reaction or not, but just something to be aware of. You might need 6 treatments before deciding whether it worked or not.

It really improves the skin my skin looks great. But after about 15 with alot more to come plus 4 expensive topicals, 6 ILP's 4 deep medical dr's peels. Good diets, cleansing body methods, stress control. better sleep. expensive supplements. Gonna to be working on it for more months maybe talking about a new special dermal filler pulse ppx after ppx. After it looks like it never happen I could have got me a new BMW. I must also dish out the cash to keep it nice for the rest of my life. I am prepare but ppx and these things cost a shit load. If you got lifelong acne like anything else you will get it back if you stop doing these treatments.

I had my first Isolaz treatment yesterday.

I have a question for anyone who has had this treatment. After the laser, the doctor went over my skin and was nudging acne that was agitated and "ready to ooze." Yuk! I know. Did this happen with anyone here? I felt like telling the doctor to stop because I haven't squeezed my pimples for 6 years now for fear of spreading them below the surface of the skin. She ensured me that she was not squeezing them, but merely coaxing them.

Yes, my PA tried to do some extractions after my first treatment. I prefer to "extract' them myself though so I did tell her to stop. I just would rather poke at my own face then have someone else poke at it. I'm sure what the doctor was doing to you was okay, but if you don't like it, its your face!!

Just coming from experience, if there is a pustule, or head on a nodule, etc then popping it, or extracting it helps it heal. But if it is a deep cyst and its just not poppable, then manipulating and squeezing it could make the infection spread deeper rather than out. So, it kind of depends on what you have, on whether it is harmful or beneficial. After the Isolaz, it does bring pus to the surface and make it more easy to extract...so I think its beneficial to get the pus out of these if possible. So, yes, I think the extractions are safe.

Hi Stubborn,

Thanks for all your kind feedback and information. I'm still pondering what to do. I'm nervous to do another round of Accutane, the side effects are somewhat annoying, especially the hair shedding and dryness everywhere!! But I did clear on the drug and 6 months after - I probably didn't take enough. I stopped 1,000 from my cummulative dose (was to take 6,000 total mg. but stopped at 5,000) since I was soo pooped. I don't know if I've exhausted all the topicals? I use Finacea in the morning (helps some) and then occassionally Renova at night. Any other suggestions? I've tried Clindamycin lotion and it didn't do anything. I can't use sulfa or BP cleansers or skincare - I have sensitive skin and mild Rosacea.

Thanks for any other suggestions on skin care. Also, if there are any other Isolaz goers please let me know how your treatments are going.

Yvette