Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_battle

what is the dumbest thing youve ever done to try and treat your acne?

-washing my face at least 9-12 times per day (now that's under control thank god)

-using 3-4 different face washes at each of those 9-12 face washings

-making a mask of benzoyl peroxide and leaving it on for more than a day (while applying more once the benzoyl peroxide had disappeared into my skin)

-washing my face at least 9-12 times per day (now that's under control thank god)

-using 3-4 different face washes at each of those 9-12 face washings

-making a mask of benzoyl peroxide and leaving it on for more than a day (while applying more once the benzoyl peroxide had disappeared into my skin)

Eeeeeek! :shock:

Hydrogen Peroxide, hands down.

Ek thats pretty aweful too but I know when you have acne we get desperate to do anything even if its stupid.

Ive actually used tweezermans to pull the pus out even though I know it will leave a nasty scar.

I used Head and Shoulders on my face. My face was cracked and bleeding for days and I had to call off work.

Also I pop all of my pimples, everyday. Causing redness and scaring. Incredibly stupid but they hurt so much if I don't pop them you know?

What is the dumbest thing youve ever done to try and treat your acne? I thought Id create this as a topic for us to discuss since Im having insomnia. I just did something incredibly stupid. I am so furious about my clogged pores all over my nose and the stupid blackheads that I took a shaver and shaved my nose and in the process, I knicked myself in two places. Now I have to wear a bandaid on my nose :(

Hah. Well, I had a dance coming up my freshman year of high school and I had terrible blackheads on my nose and cheeks...some on my shoulders. So, I got a great idea...DUCK TAPE! It can be used for anything right?

Wrong. It hurt and just made my skin red. Stupid. Hahaha.

Definitely trying the dip method from this site. All it did was make my skin red..and to this day it hasn't gotten any better. I fear my skin will never return to normal tone.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I used to put sea salt on my face sophomore year of high school in the morning. On some days I'm sure it was pretty visible. It was also a real pain in the ass to mix it with water and apply it to my face. Don't know why I did it for so long...

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. I used to put sea salt on my face sophomore year of high school in the morning. On some days I'm sure it was pretty visible. It was also a real pain in the ass to mix it with water and apply it to my face. Don't know why I did it for so long...

I did it for a week or two and then gave up.

Something that has screwed up my skin to this day:

Got prescribed full strength Retin A gel. After using a small pea sized amount for 3 weeks once a day I wasn't satisfied with the results. So I slightly increased my dosage to a full finger of Retin A two times a day. I also washed my face first with St. Ives medicated apricot scrub and then followed it with the orange clean and clear medicated face wash. I then toned with Isopropyl alcohol and lemon juice.

My face got dry so I then used Vaseline Intensive Body care lotion.

Was also on Minocycline.

I did that for over a year.

Suffice it to say, my skin is hyper sensitive and red marks fade damn hard. It also feels thin.

My acne mistakes haven't been THAT horrible or had lasting effects (I think), but I'd say that using toothpaste to try to dry out pimples and the way I attacked some pimples to try to flatten them out have been mistakes. A pimple is bad, but a bleeding pimple that won't stop and bleeds right through the makeup you use to cover it up is really gross-looking. I don't care to relive those days...

Probably the dumbest thing I've done was believe the Murad Acne Complex commercials.

I ordered the treatment and the "Exfoliating Acne Treatment" was extremely irritating. It made my skin so much worse.

Also... I didn't do this to treat my skin but...

My skin was never really bad until this fall I was at a field party, insanely drunk on Captain Mo' and I jumped over a 15-20 foot tall bonfire... straight through the heart of it. It singed my hair so bad I had to get it shaven off and it gave my face a burn similar to that of a really bad sunburn. After that my skin was very irritated, then I started on Murad and now I've got what you'd call moderate acne.

I pricked a cyst on my chin several times with a pin out of pure frustration, then woke up the next morning with my whole chin swollen. More cysts grew for a few months afterwards due to my stupidity in spreading the infection.

Once upon a time...

Only this isn't a fairy tale but my real-life story! LOL

I had this mofo of a cyst between my eyebrows that stayed for like one month. Seriously, seriously affected my mood and I got really frustrated started feeling what I think were the infant stages of depression.

So anyway, finally it comes down to about 15% of its original size. It remains at this state for a couple of weeks and I get worried and frustrated. Frustration at it not going down fully, and worry that it might regain its original crowning glory and swell to its ginormous size again.

So what stupid thing did I do? I squeezed it. I saw that a bit of the puss had almost reached the surface so I squeezed it, managing to get some puss out.

The next 2 days, it swelled back to bigger than its original mofo size! :surprised:

I got really, really sad. Abject misery would be the understatement of the century. I got so desperate I surfed acne forums and learnt about cortizone shots. I did not want to have to suffer this Mount Cyst for another month or more!

I got the shot and the cyst dissolved in a week.

A horrible experience to have to relive the cyst, but one reward from the experience is that I learnt that I have a powerful and handy tool by my side whenever Godzilla zits appear: Cortisone Shots.

I seriously recommend getting these shots whenever u get a huge zit. You don't want to get scarring, which often happens if u allow cyst to just be. Sure they go down over time, but there is a very real chance u cld get scarring.

I think I just did it....the dumbest thing yet. I am so depressed now and angry at myself that I just cried. I felt this cyst growing on my forehead so I got this bright idea from the Internet to apply a hot washcloth and hold it on the pimple for a few minutes. Well the water (and I used tap water) was too hot and I now have second degree burns on my forehead. The skin is completely gone and it burns. I think the skin was too sensitive since I had been applying bp to the area. The layer of skin just pulled right off. So now I have a cyst and a burn. Oh my Gosh....this is going to take so long to heal.