Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

The diets our parents fed us..........

My family was not rich... Everything we ate when I Was a kid consisted of cheap mostly no name brand food. Mac and cheese, lunch meats, canned food (chef boyardi), MSG filled food, pizza, MSG filled soup,pre-made meals like those roasts in a box you throw in a microwave.... stuff like that.... And I just wonder how much it affected my health to eat those foods.... it kinda bugs me.... Now I eat mostly organic.... I regret using things like anti-persperants as well....

But we didnt know any better.... I think it's so gross when food is advertized on TV as "healthy" and "nutritious" becuase it has like whole wheat in it or something.... most of the food they say that about are LOW in nutrition and HIGH in trans fats and sugar crap.... Like granola bars for instance.... those are FULL of CRAP!! Ever read the ingredients? Same with some cereals like frosted shredded wheat... they have hydrogenated oils in them and crap loads of refined sugar.... and colour.... EW. Buy some organic Oaty Os (Cheerios) and sqeeze a bit of organic honey on em and you have something that tastes TEN times better and is TEN times better FOR YOU. Buy some organic chocolate cookies and you have like maybe 10 ingredients in them.... all natural... buy some chocolate chip cookies from Mr. Christie and the ingredients list will be like ten times longer and FULL of crappy oils, sugars and colour.... it's GROSS.

People are brainwashed into thinking that these foods are good for them because it has a little symbol on the box that says it is... Nobody reads ingredients anymore.... My mom wont read ingredients because it takes up too much time and she doesnt relaly care.... The only un-healthy thing that she has allowed me to replace for her is organic microwave pop-corn instead of the gross other kind... I'm sure micro-wave pop-corn still isnt very good for you either way but still.... it's abit better.

Anyway... my point is.... READ THE INGREDIENTS PEOPLE... especially if you are a parent.... feed your kids the goodness of natural foods... well at least try to haha... I know not everyone can afford organic food... it sucks.

New researches are not encouraging since they basically tell that what we're fed the first 7-8 years of your life is the most important factor in our health, to the point that the cancer of today may stem from our childhood nutrition.

I've always wondered if maybe my diet was healthier when I was younger, would it of affected my acne now?... We didn't have much money either, sometimes none, but my mom didn't feed me a bunch of junk like candy all the time or anything like that. Just the normal food that people "think" is healthy but when it comes down to it, actually isn't.

First of all, great post!

I have been wondering about this for quiet some time and would love to see research on it this topic. I for one, lived off of sugary cereals with milk for weeks at a time when I was a kid. I definely suspect this has something to do with the amount of acne I have/had.

Coming from an asian family(born and raised in asia) I ate either rice or noodles almost everyday and maybe the occasional burger and fries, I would say my diet was pretty well balanced. My acne just broke out randomly by the time i was 15, but I don't think it was because of my diet.

I always read the label. I dont really cook. Most of the food I eat are sandwhiches and stuff from trader joes I put in the microwave or oven. None of them contain transfats. I am about twenty to thirty pounds more than I should be but my blood pressure is still excellent

I just got finished doing some research on nutrition and academic achievement. I didn't expect to find much new, really. Most of the information in recent studies really just confirms what educators have seen anecdotally for the last, I dunno, thirty years or so. BUT, I did read one study that said poor nutrition as a child may result in the the body compensating for it by slowing growth. Once nutrition is corrected, the child may experience rapid physical growth and "catch up", so to speak with the physical norms for their age; HOWEVER, cognitive function may never "catch up". The child may sustain cognitive impairment or developmental disability through adulthood. Lines up fairly well with what you are saying, Danny.

Almost everything I can remember eating as a child involves dairy, wheat, or both.

One of my earliest memories is of being 4 years old and learning how to make toast.... put the white bread in the toaster oven and then put butter on it.

Getting milk off the top shelf in the fridge.

Eating sweet cereals with milk.

Little debbies and oreo cookies dipped in milk.

Pounds of Holloween candy.

Mac N Cheese.

Peanut butter and jelly.

Pasta and cheese.

Hungry Man TV dinners.

Icecream in an icecream cone on a summer day.

(And I also remember eating some vegetables. Mainly peas, carrots, potatoes. And some fruit - apples, oranges, nectarines, bananas. Lots of meat and eggs, too, but I doubt any of it was ever organic, at all.)

It amazes me to suddenly think about it, because dairy and grains are my worst acne triggers now, and they're basically what I grew up eating. My parents had no idea though. They thought they were feeding me healthy foods, calcium to make my bones grow, etc (thanks USDA.) When I think of how much milk from cow's udders has passed through my body, it kind of makes me nauseous... :redface:

We always ate a well-balanced, home-cooked meal every night and we always had dinner together as a family. The dinner had a carbohydrate, at least two vegetables, a fruit, a protein, and a grain or starchy veggie. Lunches were always with major food groups and had a piece of fruit. Breakfast was also generally a full meal; sometimes it was cereal (NEVER sugared ones) and milk.

We never had soda of any kind in the house. We had the occasional potato chips and dip, but that was maybe once every few months. NEVER any frozen foods except veggies. We maybe had pizza once every three months. The bread we bought was also freshly made and not from a huge industrial bakery. No preservatives, either, in most of the breads, meats and veggies we ate. We lived in Germany. Absolutely magnificent food and educational system.

We always ate a well-balanced, home-cooked meal every night and we always had dinner together as a family. The dinner had a carbohydrate, at least two vegetables, a fruit, a protein, and a grain or starchy veggie. Lunches were always with major food groups and had a piece of fruit. Breakfast was also generally a full meal; sometimes it was cereal (NEVER sugared ones) and milk.

We never had soda of any kind in the house. We had the occasional potato chips and dip, but that was maybe once every few months. NEVER any frozen foods except veggies. We maybe had pizza once every three months. The bread we bought was also freshly made and not from a huge industrial bakery. No preservatives, either, in most of the breads, meats and veggies we ate. We lived in Germany. Absolutely magnificent food and educational system.

Lucky you Wynne!!! What a great diet to grow up on... I am jealous!! Sometimes I wonder if I lived somewhere else if my diet would have been better... maybe Germany :). I am half German haha :)