Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Day One

So I just started sotret today... took it around lunch. I have been absolutely terrified of taking it because of the extremely nasty side effects I've read about, but I can handle 5 months... I've already handled about 8 years of anxiety over acne so now I'm ready for beautiful skin. My lips have been a little dry ever since I started taking spironolactone about 4 months ago so I don't think that has anything to do with anything yet. I'll update as I can :)

Day 2

I forgot to mention I'm on 40mg of sotret once a day. I can tell my face hasn't been as oily today, but still oily on my forehead. I'm starting to feel a little sunburned. Bought some cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer since I'm thinking panoxyl may be a little too much now. Lips are starting to get drier, but other than that I feel GREAT and I'm very optimistic... I wouldn't care if 5 layers of my skin flaked off as long as I have beautiful skin by next summer.

Day 3

No change at all in my skin. Oil is still pretty much the same. Lips are actually better today than they were yesterday thanks to some $15 lip stuff my derm prescribed to me. Eyes are definitely drier and in the morning and at night they feel irritated. That's about it.

Hey there,

Welcome to the accutane club, hope you get the clear skin you want. I'm on day 23 and it's been rough so far, but like you I'm willing to put up with 5 months of hell for hopefully permanent clear skin.

Love the name by the way. :lol:

Hey there,

Welcome to the accutane club, hope you get the clear skin you want. I'm on day 23 and it's been rough so far, but like you I'm willing to put up with 5 months of hell for hopefully permanent clear skin.

Hey there,

Haha thanks :) I just got done reading your accutane log... I'm really scared of this initial breakout thing, but it feels great to know all of that crap is getting out of there... it would have eventually come out anyway probably months from now naturally so it's better to get it all out now. I'm just tired of always worrying about covering up with make-up and not being able to wear bikinis and tank tops... this summer sucked really bad. Good luck to you and thanks for the reply :)

Day 4

Still no changes. Face still really oily, but around 10:00 my eyes were very red and irritated feeling. Could have been that I was just tired I guess. This stuff is going to have to work really really hard for me to have non-oily skin... my face is an oil spill. One thing I will be glad about is when I can have a picture taken and not be shiny. I have never had cystic acne on my face... I usually get maybe medium sized bumps, but as of right now I only have one that is heeling on my right jawline.

My skin in all honestly is not bad at all right now... my face is clear except for that one mark - but it used to be a good bit worse before about 4 or 5 months ago when I started going to the doctor for different birth control (Yaz) which has 25mg of spiro and then I started taking 100mg of spiro twice a day with that. Helped my oil out tremendously, but still broke out - my main focus was my back since it was summer time and the cysts on my back just kept coming. I took zinc for a good month before I started accutane and I'm here to tell ya that may be something anyone who hasn't started might want to consider before you take it because it healed and cleared my back and helped my face (Zinc helps with oil production) - it MAY keep someone from an IB - I'm not too sure yet though so I'll be the guinea pig. So basically at this time I'm using accutane to try to help oil, fade scars, get rid of clogged pores, and hopefully no more zits forever :)

AND on a side note I had an idea... kind of a personal goal... since I'll be taking this stuff for about 5 months (and hopefully without any joint aches and pains) I've decided to workout every day if I can so I can get in shape while my skin is clearing up so by next summer I'll be ready to go out in a bikini feeling better than ever :)

Day 5

I forgot to mention that yesterday I had a little bit of dry mouth here and there and today also... not anything a bottle of water can't fix. Still nothing different today. Oily as ever.

Day 6

Lips feel really weird - I have been moisturizing them so they feel really soft like they might want to peel any minute, but when I quit using the lip stuff my doctor gave me my lips went back to normal (weird, seems like it would be the other way around). Still oily, but not AS bad.

1 WEEK

Well, my first week is out of the way and I have noticed my scalp feels drier, but not too bad... it's not itchy or anything. My lips still feel weird, but have not started peeling... they're actually very soft. No new pimples to speak of...only got the one still clearing up. Face is still oily and no other changes.

hey.

your lucky your first week was not as bad as mine i had chapped lips within days, but yeah I hope you dont get body aches like I am rightnow my lower back is really bad but im done a month in 4 more days, but keep strong it will be all better in the end. :)

hey.

your lucky your first week was not as bad as mine i had chapped lips within days, but yeah I hope you dont get body aches like I am rightnow my lower back is really bad but im done a month in 4 more days, but keep strong it will be all better in the end. :)

Day 8

Probably the oiliest day ever. I don't know what in the world was going on, but my hair was super oily and my face was really oily. My lips finally got the nice chapped look... but not peeling so when I put my lip stuff on they look normal, but feel odd. I've noticed a little bit of change in my vision, but nothing alarming.

Day 9

Same as before, but not quite as oily. Scalp is a little bit itchy. I can definitely tell it is getting drier, but my hair is oilier than it was before I started accutane :think: this is interesting stuff. Anyway, I haven't had any new zits at all since I started. I am trying to drink an average of 3 bottles of water a day... I'm not a big fan of water, but I cut out soda about 2 1/2 years ago so I have tried to drink a good bit of water since then. Almost done with my 10-pack!

Day 10

I am happy to finish my first 10 pack. Still very oily, but my lips are really chapped, but not really peeling yet. I had headache that was pretty bad and I was really tired, but no new bumps and no change in skin.

Day 11

My eyes have been pretty irritated today. Skin is still super oily... no flake of anything anywhere. Lips are really dry and I have to use my lip stuff every 30 minutes at least. They don't look bad yet though. Scalp is a little itchy... bought some head and shoulders yesterday so I think that helped a little... but my hair is still needing to be washed every day.

Day 12

My face was so oily my boyfriend's mom thought I was sweating. I have the nice reddish sunburned look, but other than that my face looks really smooth and shiny and the oil is crazy.

Day 13

Nothing new to report on today. I also wanted to mention I have read where people have lack of a sex drive after starting accutane - not so much here. Just being as careful as possible - don't want any babies. My eyes are still feeling irritated today... I have read vitamin E helps that, but when I took vitamin E it broke me out and they're not that bothersome. Still oily... no sign of skin dryness anywhere... no sign of any new pimples yet either...

Week 2

I started to get a hard feeling pimple (about the size of a pencil eraser) in the middle of my forehead between my eyes, but it started to dry up before it even got red or popped out and now it is gone. My lips did start to peel today and my chin was a little tiny bit dry... if I scratched it with my finger nail you could see dry skin, but you would have to look closely to see anything. Still fairly oily... no dry skin anywhere else. Scalp still itchy and eyes are still a little irritated. Insomnia here and there, but lately I've been sleeping pretty well.

Day 15

I took a Vitamin E today (400 I.U.) - since my eyes have been feeling irritated... I read that it would help and anything on the internet is true right? :rolleyes: I haven't had any mood swings yet (that I've noticed anyway) no skin dryness yet except for the lips... no new pimples either... however, I did make the mistake of letting my fingers wonder onto my face and feeling little bumps... I try to squeeze out whatever is there so of course that makes it a lot nastier looking than it could have been. Usually the irritation will go down in the morning, but sometimes it leaves a pimple or 3 so I have been trying not to pick :naughty: The only thing that really scares me about taking accutane right now is having babies later on in life. I know it says you can wait a month before trying, but I would wait a good 6 months to a year. I don't want a baby even that soon, but I couldn't take the chance. Anyone here had babies after accutane? any problems? I'm very curious.

Day 16

So I now have a pimple from where I tried to get rid of a clogged pore on my lower left jawline and three other little scabs on my cheeks from last night... I was doing so good not picking too :confused: My face has been SO FREAKIN OILY today. My lips get horrible right after I wash my face and I have to make sure I moisturize every 20 minutes or so. No change in anything.

I am having a hard time keeping up with the journal since I've been pretty busy, but here's a little recap of what I can remember.

Day 17

Friday

This was the second day I started to take zinc in the morning and still taking the sotret at lunch. I ate a little for breakfast, but it wasn't enough and the zinc made me a little nauseous. I wanted to see if it would help heal those spots on the side of my face that I had picked at.

Day 18

Saturday

I went to a nascar race and we took the camper, but there was no hot water so I wasn't able to get a good shower or wash my face. No zinc today. Lips still really really chapped. I took a shower Friday morning and my hair still looked good - no oil at all. My face wasn't too oily either. I could start to feel blackheads on my nose and around my chin trying to pop out.

Day 19

Sunday

I got a little bit of sun while watching the race... I really liked having a little bit of color. I could really tell my pores were trying to push out the little blackheads and I couldn't wait to get home and take a serious shower. I had a headache probably from squinting since it was so bright outside and my dumbass didn't have sunglasses.

Day 20

Monday

This was the day I had a remarkable smooth non-oily day. I had no oil all day long, but my face wasn't flaky or anything. Took Zinc.

Week 3

Tuesday

Still dry and no oil. No other changes. Took Zinc.

Day 22

Wednesday

Still nice smooth non-oily skin, but I shed a pair of lips in the morning. My lips never cracked or bled, but after I washed my face I could rub my finger across my lips and take off the dead skin. My lips were smooth and I could feel them again! It was nice to be able to feel where I put my chapstick and not have to look in the mirror. Took Zinc.

Day 23

Thursday

My lips started to get dry again. I guess working on my second pair of lips. No other updates. Took Zinc.

Day 24

Friday

I love not waking up to an oil slick!! If I fall asleep with my make-up on I wake up with it still in the same place. Still taking the zinc.

Day 25

Saturday

No changes. Felt really tired today, but I also worked from 8:00-1:00 so could've been from that.

Day 26

Sunday

My back hurt worse today than it has. It has had a little bit of a mild pain in the last week or so, but it feels as if my bones are "settling" when I lay down. It doesn't hurt at all during the day or when I'm working out, but when I lay down it almost feels like my back cramps up. I got a zit on my right shoulder and a cyst-like bump close to the middle of my upper back. I haven't had any bumps on my back since I started taking zinc almost 2 months ago, but maybe this is my IB? hope it will just stay on my back and get out whatever it needs to get out.

Day 27

Monday

So the bump on my shoulder was painful and as usual I popped the whitehead. I had almost forgotten what the bumps on my back used to feel like, but that made me remember too well. I am using panoxyl again on my back because it was really fading my scars pretty well. My skin still isn't very dry, but no oil. I can go about 3 days without washing my hair and even then I don't have any oil - it's great!

Day 28 (Tuesday)-Day 34(Monday) -I've made it a month!!!

This past week has not shown any changes. I am currently washing my face with purpose since I like something that lathers and is gentle at the same time. Every once in a while I will use cetaphil and sometimes I use my proactiv cleanser when I feel those blackheads popping up on my nose. My face still is not peeling. I get out of the shower and I have dead skin that comes off, but it goes away by the time my face is dry. I have a bump under my chin on my neck that is pretty big right now, but that's the only new thing and I think it's because I got in a hot tub last night. I am still using panoxyl on my back and it's not overly drying.

I went to the doctor last Wednesday and she told me to alternate between 40mg one day and 80mg the next. I'm going to start with the 80 today. I honestly didn't think she would go that high with me since my acne really isn't all that bad. I just have extremely oily skin, but I guess my back could definitely use it. I rode on a motorcycle Saturday and Sunday which could be the worst thing to do on accutane. It was cold... and that wind and the sun probably wasn't so great. But I'm still ok. My lips are pretty darn chapped and my nose feels a little dry, but I haven't had a nose bleed yet- knock on wood. I haven't taken my zinc in about a week and I probably won't anymore since I've moved up to taking 2 pills a day.

Day 35

I woke up this morning to a hard pimple on the right side of my forehead. I kind of noticed it yesterday, but my hair covered it so I didn't really notice it. It is sensitive, but I am trying my best not to touch it. I have been exhausted today so I don't know if maybe going up the extra 40 mg made me feel that way? I got two dry red round patches about the size of a dime on my left arm and in the last two days it seems I have developed an itchy rash on my arms. I've read that sometimes people get this, but it's not too bothersome. I wouldn't care if my skin completely flaked off as long as it comes back pretty and smooth.

Day 36 - Wednesday - 80mg day

After I posted yesterday I popped that pimple so it looked like a goose egg and was redder... stupid of me but I couldn't take it anymore... it made me feel better to get all that stuff out. Now it is a scab and healing and doesn't hurt anymore. I have no bumps right now *knock on wood* I still have no dry skin on my face at all... my arms seem to be drier, but it is not noticeable nor is it itchy at all. I guess that is it.

Thursday - Day 37 - 40 mg

No changes really... I had a cyst developing on the lower right side of my back, but I popped it once it got a head and it felt a lot better. Skin is actually a little oily now.

Friday -Day 38 - 80 mg

No changes

Saturday - Day 39 -

Didn't take sotret at all today

Sunday Day 40 - 80 mg

No changes

Monday - Day 41 - 80mg

I did two 80mg days to make up for Saturday. I have one huge cyst under my chin on my neck... I seem to get them the worst here... usually only one at a time thank goodness.

Tuesday - Day 42 - 40 mg **6 weeks!!**

I woke up this morning and my nose was actually oily. The only dry skin I have is on my arms and shoulders. The cyst under my chin is pretty damn sore. Of course I've tried popping it without success it only makes it bigger.

Wednesday-Friday Days 43-45

Wednesday I only took one pill. The cyst under my chin was completely gone and dry and healing. However, I started to get a huge cyst on my left shoulder and it was very tender and sore. I took just one pill on Thursday as well. The cyst on my shoulder seemed to be filled with blood instead of puss. I noticed on Thursday that I was starting to get a cyst on my left jawline and by this morning (Friday) it had a head on it and was really deep and hard. It itched a little last night too. Of course I tried to get rid of it so now it is in the healing stage and nowhere near as swollen and hard. I have another pimple that showed up this morning on my right shoulder. After I started taking 80mg I have a lot more back pain than I did before at 40mg and I am so much more tired, but other than that I feel ok. I woke up with a sore throat this morning so I am feeling poopy anyway. My face didn't look that great today... the texture of it was kind of oily and not so smooth and dry looking. I have no other pimples other than that cyst on my jawline *knock on wood* I took two pills today... one in the morning and one a little while ago and I took a zinc at lunch. I have to get all of this stuff healed up and I feel better when I take zinc. After I finish with accutane I will be taking zinc faithfully. I will be glad when I can get a little bit of sun next summer after this treatment... I'm really pasty, but I know it's making my skin a lot better.