Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rupertthehair

NEW MEMBER NEEDS HELP

Ok, about a month ago I decided to go the the doctor about my acne ( I'm 17 and my acne is very minimal just a few around my mouth and occasionally some others ). The doctor gave me Pan Oxyl Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5%. I used the entire tube and applied it once every evening I didnt notice much change but I had to stop for a fewd ays because it was making my skin really flakey. About a week ago I discovered this website and decide to use my Pan Oxyl to follow the regime. I now have a second tub and have followd the regime for the past 5/6 days. I clean my face with a mild soap, wait a while, apply a finger legths bp ( use a full finger because I have already done a month of it ) then moisturize with Nivea. After I wash I can see old red marks under the skin where old spots have been, but when my face settles with the bp and moisurizer my face looks alot better with only some red marks. But today has been different, my face has been really flakey, itchy and bumpy. A few minutes ago I washed all the bp off my face. Earlier to day I orderd Dans bp and moisurizer but they will take 1-3 weeks to arrive and with the postal strike here in the UK it may take longer. I just want to know if my symptoms are normal? thanks for your help, Luke

Yes, that sounds normal. You can expect flakyness, dryness, and itchiness. Especially in the beginning of the Regimen. Your moisturizer may not be hydrating enough to take care of it all though. You may need to try a different one, or try adding a few drops of jojoba oil to your current moisturizer.

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#itch

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#dry

Hi Brandy, my moisturizer has Jojoba in it. Here are the ingredients:

Water, Myristyl Alcohol, Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol Denat., Stearic Acid, Petrolatum, Myristyl Myristate, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Dimethicone, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyglyceryl-2 Caprate, Phenoxyethanol, Lanolin Alcohol, Fragrance, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Cetyl Phosphate, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben

I got this from a website, mine is slightly different as I bought mine in France, Luke

So what about the bumpyness that has just happened? Luke

as if my face was spotty without the spots or redness!!! As I said I only have 3/4 spots but I am worried that my face is just going to breakout with loads, thats why I started the regime, Luke

yes flesh coloured, they are only on one part of my face, they have died down a little now. I feel like rubbish at the moment!! my skin is really tight and flakey! Luke

Today after applying the bp my face is covered in red spots ( not spots but red marks ), I look really terrible. I did shave though and this may have irriated my skin, Luke

Luke: Drop the Nivea! The Nivea is highly pore clogging. Its second ingredient is a huge offender in clogging pores and contributing to irritation. Nivea moisturizing products make me, with the most INsensitive skin in the world, itchy, red and irritated.

The ingredients in red are highly comedogenic (acne-causing):

Water, Myristyl Alcohol, Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Alcohol Denat., Stearic Acid, Petrolatum, Myristyl Myristate, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Dimethicone, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyglyceryl-2 Caprate, Phenoxyethanol, Lanolin Alcohol, Fragrance, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Cetyl Phosphate, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben

Please try another moisturizer. Oh man, I'm so sorry you used Nivea. :( It's great for the body, but not the face.

What 'mild soap' are you using? I recommend Cetaphil products as I use one myself. Others like Basis or Purpose. The Cetaphil I use is the Sensitive Skin Antibacterial Bar; it is also moisturizing as well as gentle. Some 'soaps' are actually not pH balanced and can hurt someone with acne-prone skin.

Simple shine control moisturiser + zinc is good and easy to find in boots.

or what im using at the moment is Hawaiian tropic sun lotion factor 15 i picked up in home bargains for £3

both are non-comedogenic and cheap and last a couple of months

I have read that UKers like the Simple products and that those products have good reviews.

I have decided to leave the regime until I get all Dans things, I will use my BP in a smaller dose but only once per day. I only have one spot now but some red marks under the skin, do you think these will turn into spots or are they there because of the regime? I have washed all the moisturizer off my face. My skin is really dry and flakey now but I'm going to let it heal before I apply anymore BP. Luke

So what moisturizer do you reccomend, bearing in mind I live in the UK, I use a mild soap with not many ingredients, Luke

A popular one amongst our UK members is Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream with 5% urea.