Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I found out after trying various new treatments for my acne that my hormones are to blame for my breakouts. I'm a 19-year-old female and I've been having breakouts since I was 11. I originally posted this thread http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...;hl=frustration and I've been continuing with this treatment but my breakout now is worse than it has been in a few weeks. I noticed that about a week before I start my period I have really red breakouts. Meaning I get several inflamed zits that HURT. It makes it all the more hard not to pop them to get rid of the pain. It's a little less than a week before my period and I really hate the way my skin looks right now. There's red splotches EVERYWHERE. Someone please help! Are there any other people who have this hormone problem like me? What are some medications (not too expensive) that I can take that are safe and effective in controlling my hormones and therefore diminishing my acne?

Here's a link to the hormonal treatments subforum.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Hormonal-...CP-etc-f51.html

It's a good place to search in for some answers.

I'm going to start Yasmin BCP soon. My chin always wants to break out. Though I've been able to control, I would like to see it do better.

Some of the other women in here have tried vitex. (chaste berry) I tried Saw Palmetto, but all it seemed to do was make me want to eat, & it made my boobs a bit larger. Didn't seem to help my skin at all.

There's also Spiro, but I really don't know much about that.

There are a bunch of different kinds of BCP you could look into, & those are fairly inexpensive for what you are getting out of them.

Good luck with it!

Here's a link to the hormonal treatments subforum.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Hormonal-...CP-etc-f51.html

It's a good place to search in for some answers.

I'm going to start Yasmin BCP soon. My chin always wants to break out. Though I've been able to control, I would like to see it do better.

Some of the other women in here have tried vitex. (chaste berry) I tried Saw Palmetto, but all it seemed to do was make me want to eat, & it made my boobs a bit larger. Didn't seem to help my skin at all.

There's also Spiro, but I really don't know much about that.

There are a bunch of different kinds of BCP you could look into, & those are fairly inexpensive for what you are getting out of them.

Good luck with it!

Oh, thanks! I didn't even know that section of the message board existed ^^;

you should go see a doctor or a derm then...

I highly doubt there is any hormone controlling OTC product.

even in prescription my doctor wouldn't give me a hormnoe control medicine, even though i Have moderate acne, he gave me a weak topical.

But yes, definately go to your doctor and see about it.

not over the counter, but I also had hormonal acne. I had it since I was 13, and I'm 38 now. tried all OTC that I could find, tried antibiotics, nothing really worked. retin-a controled it to some extend, making breakouts go away pretty fast. The only thing that cleared my acne, and I am now acne free for many months, is spironolactone. you can only get it by prescripton, and my doc wouldn't give me more than 50 mg. a day. for the first few weeks I had extra breakout of really little whiteheads mostly on my chin and around my mouth. than it slowly cleared up. once I was clear I started experimenting, taking it every other day, and than twice a week. I am still acne free, which nothing else ever did fo me.

hope this helps.

good luck!

not over the counter, but I also had hormonal acne. I had it since I was 13, and I'm 38 now. tried all OTC that I could find, tried antibiotics, nothing really worked. retin-a controled it to some extend, making breakouts go away pretty fast. The only thing that cleared my acne, and I am now acne free for many months, is spironolactone. you can only get it by prescripton, and my doc wouldn't give me more than 50 mg. a day. for the first few weeks I had extra breakout of really little whiteheads mostly on my chin and around my mouth. than it slowly cleared up. once I was clear I started experimenting, taking it every other day, and than twice a week. I am still acne free, which nothing else ever did fo me.

hope this helps.

good luck!

hi are you male or female? and what side effects did you get? thx