Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chrisaus

seriously people

Just take a capsule or drink some of the powdered stuff before meals, especially if you are having your occasional splurge on a simple carb like pasta or someone's birthday cake. I does prevent blood sugar spikes. Study:

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/53/6/1431

Info I got from somewhere:

The inclusion of soluble fiber in the diet slows the breakdown of complex carbohydrates, such as starch, into simple sugars, such as glucose, thereby slowing the absorption of sugar and possibly leading to reduced levels of sugar in the blood. During digestion, soluble fiber forms a gel-like mass that binds cholesterol to the stool; if eating in sufficient quantities, soluble fiber can also help reduce the levels of cholesterol in your blood. Good sources of soluble fiber include grains, such as oats, barley and rye, vegetables, fruits, and legumes.

Insoluble fiber

This type of fiber occurs naturally in brown rice, whole-wheat breads and cereals, seeds, legumes, and in the skins of fruits and vegetables. It is not easily dissolved in water and is not digested or absorbed by the body. However, insoluble fiber's inclusion in the diet helps keep the gastrointestinal tract clean and promotes regular bowel movements. It does this by drawing water into the stools, making them larger; softer and easier to pass.

The benefits of fiber

Foods that are high in dietary fiber often take longer to eat, and they increase the feeling of fullness after a meal because they slow down the passage of food through the intestine. This improves the body's blood-sugar response because fiber slows the rate at which glucose is released from food. This, in turn, slows the rise of blood-sugar levels so that less insulin is released into the bloodstream. In addition, because fiber-rich foods increase the feeling of fullness, they can help with weight control.

your total fiber intake should be 20g-40g per day

http://www.gutfeelingcolumn.com/index.htm

about a year ago i had some success with psillum husks. When my supply ran out I didn't bother to try it again and moved on to another fad cure experiment. Looking back at some photos from a year ago i noticed my skin looked pretty damn good, so i decided to try the husks again but this time I would buy the natural, no added ingredients type. With a little tweaking here and there I have discovered that I can eat absolutely any food I want (previously had a reaction to just about everything except vegies) and now not get a single zit. All I do is scoop about 3 tablespoons of husk into water before, during or straight after a meal. That's it, i've been zit free now for two and a half months.

You will no doubt get the haters on here saying that excessive fibre in the form of p. husks will strip the nutrional value out of food but seriously who gives a shit if it means you will have clear skin. The choice is yours. Just thought i'd share what I believe is a far more functional approach to acne prevention than completely avoiding all grains etc.

Let me re-inforce that it is important to scoop lots of husks each time, don't go soft.

about a year ago i had some success with psillum husks. When my supply ran out I didn't bother to try it again and moved on to another fad cure experiment. Looking back at some photos from a year ago i noticed my skin looked pretty damn good, so i decided to try the husks again but this time I would buy the natural, no added ingredients type. With a little tweaking here and there I have discovered that I can eat absolutely any food I want (previously had a reaction to just about everything except vegies) and now not get a single zit. All I do is scoop about 3 tablespoons of husk into water before, during or straight after a meal. That's it, i've been zit free now for two and a half months.

You will no doubt get the haters on here saying that excessive fibre in the form of p. husks will strip the nutrional value out of food but seriously who gives a shit if it means you will have clear skin. The choice is yours. Just thought i'd share what I believe is a far more functional approach to acne prevention than completely avoiding all grains etc.

Let me re-inforce that it is important to scoop lots of husks each time, don't go soft.

Wouldn't you poop... a LOT... when you eat that much psyllium husks? And isn't it a bit... uh... loose? :redface:

psyllium shake are pretty disgusting - after a long while on p&b shakes i gave that up. I now take more fiber per day and don't have to glug disgusting drinks because i found a fibre product made from 100% chicory. Just add a teaspoon to water 3/4 times a day and it dissolves completely and doesn't taste of anything, and it has definitely helped (although 3 poo's a day seems excessive i have a very quick transit time - no more rotting food lying in my bowels for long periods!).

It's not a license to eat rubbish though, but that along with a couple of apples and lots of water and enough vitamins certainly helps my digestive system - which i've said all along seems to play a major part in my acne!

I'm gonna try this, but with flaxseeds instead of psyllium husks. Flaxseeds also have soluble fibre, and are a lot cheaper... Just downed a couple of tablespoons of flaxseeds in water. Made me feel better about comfort-eating mashed potatoes ;) (I'm having PMS, so I had to, lol)

Where do you buy chickory fiber?

thanks

Thats a good question, in the UK procter and gamble make a product called fibresure which is 100% chicory fiber and they sell it in supermarkets. Elsewhere i don't know - i haven't found many other products available.

Fibresure

Okay, so now I bought real psyllium husks instead of flaxseeds... And boy do they get gelly when you put them in water :) Big difference compared to flaxseeds! I don't mind the taste at all, in fact it doesn't taste much!

I hope this will help me...

Okay, so now I bought real psyllium husks instead of flaxseeds... And boy do they get gelly when you put them in water :) Big difference compared to flaxseeds! I don't mind the taste at all, in fact it doesn't taste much!

I hope this will help me...

I definitely think fiber is an imporant aspect for those prone to acne - one of the reason why I think green smoothies are so helpful. It's important to keep things moving...

If you do decide to do a lot of fiber, make absolutely sure that you drink plenty of water, so that the fiber can move along and not get stuck.

I agree with Danny that this shouldn't be an excuse to eat a bad diet and possibly develop diseases later on, but it's great to have a way that allows you to "cheat" now and then - or, something that can help you while you transition to a more healthful diet. :)

sounds like ur just over fiberizing and shitting out alot of food before your system has time to process it. You might as well just eat less since itll probably have the same effect only without constant diarrhea

sounds like ur just over fiberizing and shitting out alot of food before your system has time to process it. You might as well just eat less since itll probably have the same effect only without constant diarrhea

Fiber tears apart the cell lining along the digestive tract resulting in the release of a mucus substance, which interferes with nutrient absorption. In the short run this pushes out stuck, hard to digest food (carbohydrates) and bloating and discomfort is experienced. In the long run the constant damage to the lining of the digestion track from fiber causes the development of scar tissue along the bowel walls resulting in permanently impaired nutrient absorption.

Fiber tears apart the cell lining along the digestive tract resulting in the release of a mucus substance, which interferes with nutrient absorption. In the short run this pushes out stuck, hard to digest food (carbohydrates) and bloating and discomfort is experienced. In the long run the constant damage to the lining of the digestion track from fiber causes the development of scar tissue along the bowel walls resulting in permanently impaired nutrient absorption.

PLEASE tell me your exageratting or at least tell me the source because that sounds INSANE. What the heck am I suppose to do now? I thought fiber was good for you, now it's bad?

irrelevant either way since soluble fiber causes gas and bloating during fermentation in the stomach and encourages the growth of harmful bacteria and disease. It has no positives.

But anyway, even scientists who claim fiber is healthy for you acknowledge that it damages the bowels. They just then go on to say that this damage is actually good for you.

irrelevant either way since soluble fiber causes gas and bloating during fermentation in the stomach and encourages the growth of harmful bacteria and disease. It has no positives.

But anyway, even scientists who claim fiber is healthy for you acknowledge that it damages the bowels. They just then go on to say that this damage is actually good for you.