Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi.

I'm a compulsive picker. At any one time I probably have more scars from picking than I have actual spots. The major problem is stopping, obviously... Anybody who picks their face will know what I mean.

Anyway. The weird habit I have is in the location of the scars. I was reading an excellent site I found on these forums: http://www.stoppickingonme.com/ and it got me thinking about why/how I developed this behavior.

Thing is, the majority of my acne is on my jawline and the side of my face (my cheeks and nose are pretty clear most of the time.) Thus, the majority of the scarring is also there...

However, when I get a spot on my cheeks or nose I WILL NOT pick it. I have no urge to pick it because subconsciously I realize that if I pop it it will get worse, I might get more pimples there, scarring etc etc. Yet my jawline is covered in scars that I'm continuing to pick to this day (I'm working on it)

I realize how crazy this sounds, even to admit to myself!

Sorry, I just had to get this off my chest. Does anyone else do anything like this? Or am I alone in this 'pick-and-choose' (excuse the pun) form of self-mutilation?

What do you mean by picking? Now and then I'll pop a fat yellow one, but I havn't had anything to pop for a while (yipee!)

I picked at my whiteheads to a lot, but I just got a skin peel done and the lady told me not to pick, so I haven't but lately I've been waking up in the middle of the night picking.

In most cases popping is a part of the picking schedule.

However, with people who pick out of habit, often it's hard to just pop one. For example after popping one, I will run my hands over my face for any bumps, dents, uneven surface, scabs. Anything that can yield a solid after you pick it is fair game. Leaving bigger, angrier, raw skin in most cases.

Obviously I can see it is exacerbating it... I want to stop but... it's just so hard. :(

I'm glad that your skin is doing well. It's amazing the difference it can have on our mood. :)

I think it's a form of self abuse, at least in my case. Not like my skin isn't actually a problem..But, I've noticed a pattern with it. When I get really down on life, or somebody hurts me.. Rather than working the feelings out, at times I'll internalize all my feelings and pick my face to a pulp instead.

For the most part, I'm out of the cycle. But, it's still an issue.

My problem is that I'm so afraid of breaking out that if I see like one little spot I go crazy and pick it until it's huge. Idk what's wrong with me, why do I really think scratching up my face would make anything magically disappear?? It takes a lot of will power for me to just walk away from the mirror because once I start I can't stop until every little imperfection on my face has been picked at. I've found I do it out of boredom and stress, so I try and keep busy so I feel less likely to go check myself compulsivly in the mirror. I feel like such a crazy person, I actually have to stand there and tell myself not to do it. It seems like I'm always waiting for something on my face to heal.

I go into a trance-like state, and i end up picking everything. clogged pores, blackheads, and even "bance" are fair game. I loose track of time and the only goal i have is to get rid of this oil in my skin. Its super wierd, and I'm trying not to pick anymore. I don't wear contacts or glasses into the bathroom anymore so that i don't get tempted to look in the mirror, just wash and get out of there.

However, I will not pick in the middle of my forehead becuase its in the center of my face and i feel like it draws even more attention. Not a coincidence that that is extremely clear (sigh)

Hi.

I'm a compulsive picker. At any one time I probably have more scars from picking than I have actual spots. The major problem is stopping, obviously... Anybody who picks their face will know what I mean.

Anyway. The weird habit I have is in the location of the scars. I was reading an excellent site I found on these forums: http://www.stoppickingonme.com/ and it got me thinking about why/how I developed this behavior.

Thing is, the majority of my acne is on my jawline and the side of my face (my cheeks and nose are pretty clear most of the time.) Thus, the majority of the scarring is also there...

However, when I get a spot on my cheeks or nose I WILL NOT pick it. I have no urge to pick it because subconsciously I realize that if I pop it it will get worse, I might get more pimples there, scarring etc etc. Yet my jawline is covered in scars that I'm continuing to pick to this day (I'm working on it)

I realize how crazy this sounds, even to admit to myself!

Sorry, I just had to get this off my chest. Does anyone else do anything like this? Or am I alone in this 'pick-and-choose' (excuse the pun) form of self-mutilation?

I too am a compulsive picker. I will look in the mirror and tell myself not to do it because I know how horrible it is, but it's like I have no control what so ever. Once I start I can't stop, and when I'm done with a session I will look at the clock and realize that an entire hour or two has gone by! Can you imagine, picking at your poor face for that long? no wonders i look like hell. I have bangs so whenever i look in the mirror i can't see my forehead. Well I'm sure it's no coincidence that my forehead is completely clear. That's what I can't stand. I do this to myself and then I just feel guilty and it's a huge cycle that makes me want to pick more and more. and it can never heal because I never give it a chance to. Well at least my derm has decided to put me on accutane which i start in the beginning of november. I actually don't have very severe acne. it's actually fairly mild, just all the picking leaves me with red spots/scabs all over that look like zits. I have OCD and this skin picking thing is seriosuly not something that should be taken lightly. I realllly need to stop. It is such a humiliating thing. If you have zits people don't really think much of it. But it's kind of hard to explain why you have holes in your face and huge scabs. hence the reason i don't leave the house except to go to derm or psychiatric appts. i used to have a life...

I too am a compulsive picker. I will look in the mirror and tell myself not to do it because I know how horrible it is, but it's like I have no control what so ever. Once I start I can't stop, and when I'm done with a session I will look at the clock and realize that an entire hour or two has gone by! Can you imagine, picking at your poor face for that long? no wonders i look like hell. I have bangs so whenever i look in the mirror i can't see my forehead. Well I'm sure it's no coincidence that my forehead is completely clear. That's what I can't stand. I do this to myself and then I just feel guilty and it's a huge cycle that makes me want to pick more and more. and it can never heal because I never give it a chance to. Well at least my derm has decided to put me on accutane which i start in the beginning of november. I actually don't have very severe acne. it's actually fairly mild, just all the picking leaves me with red spots/scabs all over that look like zits. I have OCD and this skin picking thing is seriosuly not something that should be taken lightly. I realllly need to stop. It is such a humiliating thing. If you have zits people don't really think much of it. But it's kind of hard to explain why you have holes in your face and huge scabs. hence the reason i don't leave the house except to go to derm or psychiatric appts. i used to have a life...