Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
manutdfan

Please Help!! (With Pics)

Ok well.. my name is Andrew, 21 from the UK and ive sorta cleared up my acne.. i stopped eating sugary high GI foods and exersised for 20minutes a day and now hardly any new spots form on my skin and my skin is overall less oily !however im left with two rashes of red skin where spots used to be on both cheeks, in the middle of my eyebrows and dotted around the rest of my face :(

i also believe benzoyl peroxide cream greatly contributed to red skin scarring, ever since i stopped using it a year ago my spots heal with normal coloured skin

Is my only option expensieve dermabrasion or skin lasering? (1000 pounds+)

ive looked at glycolic acid peel kits on ebay and ive ordered one.

http://i20.tinypic.com/2weko5c.jpg

http://i22.tinypic.com/1z17cl1.jpg

post-64159-1191852395_thumb.jpg

post-64159-1191852404_thumb.jpg

post-64159-1191852395_thumb.jpg

post-64159-1191852404_thumb.jpg

Hello there!

Well it doesn't look like you have any scarring, just pigmentation that will eventually be gone with time. But no one wants to wait for theirs to be gone, boy do I know it.

Have you tried Apple Cider Vinegar? I honestly thought it was a load of holistic mumbo jumbo when I first heard of it, but using it as a toner (1 part ACV:2 parts water) has actually helped quite a bit. I'd defo cut out BP if you're still applying it. I spot treat with Finacea now, which uses Azelaic Acid. It's just as good as BP or SA in my opinion, and much more gentle. :) Other than that, you could experiment with Aloe Vera gel, Bio Oil (but that broke me out, personally), I hear Sudocrem is quite effective as it has Zinc in it. Ummm, I can't really think of anything else right now, but the main thing for me was to stop using the chemicals that were harsh on my skin. You'd be suprised at how beneficial it is to just let your skin breathe for a little bit.

Hope I was able to help!

Not to put you down but in those pics it looks like you still have active acne that needs treating. I personally am still using Panoxyl BP cream and agree that in the long run you will end up with red marks, (and darker ones..) but it has helped with the active acne I had.

there are one or two little papules on my face but only because i hate a whole family size chocolate bar the day before the picture :)

Yeah i'd give Glycolic acid a try, what % is it? You might want to look into TCA as well which is stronger. I've used both and they're pretty good if you use them right. You just have a little 'down time' when your skin is burnt and red.

im kinda lucky i guess i know how to keep clear.. i just cant have anything with sugar in or anything thats highly refined and will cause my blood sugar to spike..

just my face is still a mess because of all the redness :(

i have a bottle of 30% glycolic acid and a bottle of lactic acid (not sure %) i got them from ebay.

im not sure the best way to apply it though.. a small paint brush?

you need to buy a fan brush, its a thing fan shaped (the fans you get in spain/portugal/greece to cool yourself)

its really thin and will ensure all of teh acid on the brush will go on your face, and not be absorbed by teh brush. :)

My honest analysis of your situation;

You still have active acne. From the look of the rolling and pitted scars, i'll have a guess and say your acne was moderate to severe. If you've had acne for a few years, and would consider it persistant then i'd say your best bet would be a dose of Accutane. Especially given that you look to have suffered from inflammatory acne.

It wouldn't have to be too full on, perhaps a low dose. Otherwise you may just keep toying with OTC products that never offer complete clearance.

How would i get accutane? goto my doctor.. get aload of cream of him weeks later.. go back tell him it doesnt work.. then get refered to a dermatologist.. (waiting list a few weeks) then get some cream and crap of them.. wait more weeks blabla

How would i get accutane? goto my doctor.. get aload of cream of him weeks later.. go back tell him it doesnt work.. then get refered to a dermatologist.. (waiting list a few weeks) then get some cream and crap of them.. wait more weeks blabla

Retin-a Micro will take care of this i had mine similar to yours and retin-a took care of the problem no need for surgery IMHO. i'd start off at .025 GEL not cream.

Retin-a Micro will take care of this i had mine similar to yours and retin-a took care of the problem no need for surgery IMHO. i'd start off at .025 GEL not cream.

Don't use BP on the red marks like your doctor said because it doesn't help matters, I think it even makes them more red.

I also think accutane will make the red marks worse because accutane thins the skin. Your active acne isn't that bad, benzamycin gel if you can get hold of it would get rid of it - it's the best topical but some chemists don't stock it any more.

From experience I would avoid seeing a NHS dermatologist - they are rubbish for acne. The guy I had didn't know about glycolic acid and acid peels in general and tried to tell me to stop using them! Idiot!! You have to wait about 4 to 5 months for an appointment as well.

I was told by my derm that Retin-A does help with redmarks.

You look like you still have active acne, so I'm worried that putting on stuff might irritate your skin and cause more acne.

I'm using Retin-A and I really like it. The thing with retinoids is that with a lot of ppl, theres a purging process where all the underlying acne rises to the surface, and judging by your picture, you might get a lot. But I'm just looking at your picture. Plus, its easier to scar with retinoids.

You could try chemical peels. I never tried that though.

I would also suggest going through the nutrition/holistic side of the forum. Theres a lot of info you have to filter out, but theres some good stuff you can do right away.

Zinc supplements have helped me heal faster from acne marks and bruises.

Vitamin C and E also for skin healing.

Heres a link.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly...1546294,00.html

I'm doing only 1 and 2. I heard observer was a trashy UK paper but I dunno...I'm from Canada. Don't follow it entirely...just use what works, and becareful what you put on your skin, cuz it might aggravate and cause acne.

Don't use glycolic acid peels on active acne. You'll make spots weep like crazy.

Go back to your GP and keep asking! BTW, it's called roaccutane in the UK, not accutane as that's the US name!

ManUfan, I live in the UK and I have had Roaccutane, and trust me the acne comes back. BP is great at killing the bacteria which causes acne so try using 10% BP and wash it off after 20 mins, that way you will prevent acne and wont cause red marks.

BP is most effective in the first 20 minutes that is when most of the oxygen is released and kills the anarobic bacteria (acne bacteria cannot live in the presence of oxygen). After that the action of BP is a keratolytic agent (peels the skin) which is what causes the hyperpigmentation (red marks). So if you just want to kill the bactera and do not want your skin to peel, wash of after 20 mins.

Just try it for 1 months and see how it works (trust me it works)

Meanwhile, also use a 10% Glycolic acid wash and a 2%Salicylic acid lotion.

This regime will take care of you actve acne as well as the red marks.

Good Luck.

By the way this is a great reg

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=170674

I wouldn't go on roaccutane, as you say your face is healed from acne now and roaccutane will just make u break out again until you get clear. And is quite extreme if you are happy with minimal spots now.I saw a nhs dermatologist and trust me they're not gonna give u roaccutane unless you've used antibiotic creams and antibiotics for at least 3 months, which is what i'm doing. If you do want to see a dermatologist i'd phone up ur local pct, thats what I did and I got a cancellation appt on the nhs within a few days.

i wouldn't waste ur money seeing a private dermatologist cos its about £200 for about a 10 min appt.

How long have u bn reasonably clear for? if its recent then i'd say persevere it will take time for acne scarring to go. try pricking a vitamin e capsule, or bio oil but only use very little as it is quite greasy.

where in the UK are you? theres a fantastic lady in Temple Fortune, north london. which does microdermabrasion for £35 a session usually need about 6 sessions. and trust me she knows her stuff!

I hope this is of any help to you.

UK acne sufferer!