Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doppleganger

Chef Boyardee products...........bad for your acne?

Ever since I was in elementary school I've been sort of raised on Chef Boyardee products as the go-to afternoon snack or quick bite, and have eaten it almost religiously since then. Being raised in a single-parent household with a tight budget, my mother would load up on the stuff, and as a result I mostly ate a steady yet repetitive diet of the stuff. Even as I begun getting acne at around 14 years old I continued eating the stuff. But recently while evaluating my diet it FINALLY dawned on me that my steady diet of canned food since childhood (not as bad as that period in which I scarfed candy bars as "desserts" almost every day. Glad I gave that up before I started getting acne!) may be a big factor in my seemingly perpetual state of mild acne, moderately (and annoyingly) oily, rough skin and who knows what else against my health.

With that in mind, just how bad are Chef Boyardee and the like for your acne and skin health? Somehow I feel I may have inadvertently taken a toll on my skin and health by gourging on these canned food products for a good portion of my life. Now I'm 20 and a painfully broke and struggling college student who tries to squeeze as much out of every dollar as possible.........and cheap food such as Chef Boyardee and ramen never is good for your health. If so, what's there to eat for someone in my financial situation then? I've recently purchased a "George Foreman Grilling Machine" if that's of any help, and have used it as an excuse to cook and scarf on lots of hamburgers, feeling that the George "KNOCKS OUT!" most of the fat but I'm probably still poisoning my body and my acne. :( They taste so GOOD though! Lucky I'm naturally thin with a fast metabolism.............

*clears throat* Rant over.

Just an economical food tip here.

We use 10 pound bags of Basmati Rice(from India). Good budget food. Not too bad for you. The brown rice is healthier, but we find it's easier to get the white.

Costs like twelve bucks a bag around here, 1 cup uncooked equals like a 3 cup yeild cooked. It works out to be a lot of food for 12 bucks, & preparation is only limited by your imagination.. You can toss anything in there.

I'm not going to comment on Chef Boyardee and your health/skin. I'll leave that to the very knowledgeable food gurus of the board. ;)

Beefaroni:

Tomatoes (Water, Tomato Puree), Beef, Crushed Tomatoes, Enriched Macaroni Product(Semolina, Wheat Gluten, Niacin, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), And Folic Acid), Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Onions, Salt, Romano Cheese Made From Cow's Milk (Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Garlic, Spices, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Canola Oil, Garlic, Onion Powder, Molasses, Carrots And Flavorings.

Mini Ravioli:

Tomatoes , Water , Tomato Puree , Water , Enriched Wheat Flour , Wheat Flour , Malted Barley Flour , Niacin , Iron , Thiamine , Mononitrate Vitamin B1 , Riboflavin Vitamin B2 , Folic Acid , Beef , Crackermeal Contains Less Than 2% , Wheat Flour Contains Less Than 2% , Niacin Contains Less Than 2% , Iron Contains Less Than 2% , Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B1 - Contains Less Than 2% , Riboflavin Vitamin B2 - Contains Less Than 2% , Folic Acid Contains Less Than 2% , Salt Contains Less Than 2% ,High Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Less Than 2% , Carrots Contains Less Than 2% , Textured Soy Protein Concentrate Contains Less Than 2% , Soy Protein Concentrate Contains Less Than 2% , Caramel Coloring Contains Less Than 2% , Modified Corn Starch Contains Less Than 2% , Monosodium Glutamate Contains Less Than 2% , Caramel Coloring Contains Less Than 2% , Flavorings Contains Less Than 2% , Enzyme Modified Cheese Contains Less Than 2% , Cheddar Cheese Contains Less Than 2% , Pasteurized Milk Contains Less Than 2% , Cultures Contains Less Than 2% , Salt Contains Less Than 2% , Enzymes Contains Less Than 2% , Annatto Color - Contains Less Than 2% , Soybean Oil Contains Less Than 2%

The bolded ingredients are things that I personally try to stay away from - I do eat some wheat, always whole grain though, and never much.

I believe vegetable oils, soy, and high fructose corn syrup to be major triggers for acne for a LOT of people - wheat - especially gluten - has been documented to cause eruptions in some individuals as well.

In addition to the common allergens these foods contain, what they don't contain is almost as bad. They are highly processed, cooked, and canned. All of these things detroy the nutrients that would otherwise be available.

While of course it always best to eat fresh, I do indulge in this line occasionally( never the soy stuff though :sick: ): http://www.amyskitchen.com/products/catego...prod_category=4

I believe Target and WalMart carry Amy's ^ now too.

Hope this helps :)

In addition to ayla's bolded items, these are more an ill individual has to be aware of:

Beef: beef from pasture-raised cows is great, but I guarantee that the beef Cheffy B uses is not that kind of beef. Probably full of anti-biotics and other FDA approved toxins (oxymoron!). But hey, Cheffy B exists to make profit, not to make their customers well

All synthetic vitamins/minerals (Iron, Mononitrate, etc): these synthetic vitamins/minerals will wreck your liver over time. Also, the body cannot utilize iron that is not bioavailable, and it just builds up to a heavy metal problem if the body is unable to detox it

Autolyzed Yeast Extract: they are often used in the same way that monosodium glutamate (MSG) is used, and, like MSG, contain free glutamic acids

Others such as caramel coloring, genetically modified corn starch annatto color, artifical flavorings, etc. Common sense for these ingredients.

A rhetorical question is, "Chef Boyardee products...........bad for your acne?", no? ;-) Of course, there are people out there who can eat something like Chef Boyardee everyday, because their digestion is strong enough to handle all the crap annd detox it efficiently, but it will take a toll on them someday.

And then there is the problem of wheat, which is good if you prepare it the way people did thousands of years ago, but not in here.

Cheap foods:

Everyone is different, but here are some foods I have found to be relatively non-acnegenic. Some people have trouble with all starches (I think that's me) but otherwise at least these things are gluten-free etc.

Brown rice (cheap!)

Beans (cheap! Low-sodium if you buy canned so rinse them off, a little preparation if you buy dry)

Sardines

Eggs (organic is best)

Greens (o)

Broccoli & cauliflower (o)

Avocados

Carrots (o)

Yams (o)

Onions

Garlic

Bananas

Apples (o)

Pineapple

Mangos

Grapes (o)

Walnuts

Pumpkin seeds (should be quite cheap this time of year)

.... I put o's next to the things it's most important to buy organic if you can. I'm a student too, but I was able to buy these things in a pretty expensive town and greatly managed to afford this list, this past year. I never got completely clear eating this way, but at least it was better than the alternative junk and my health made some progress.

BlessTheFall and Kodi - thanks for the heads up on the Autolyzed Yeast Extract - I really had no idea what it was, I assumed it was actually yeast, lol. Silly me. Good find.

I was just the same, I practically grew up on Chef Boyardee! I stopped eating it around age 15 though. But a few months ago I bought a can and ate it to see if it would have an effect. I broke out horribly with tons of white heads everywhere it was awful! My acne isn't usually that type of pimples, so I could see it wasn't just a normal break out. It was very weird. But I definitely won't buy that stuff anymore!

Thanks for the responses guys! I'll asses them more when I have the time (gotta get to bed). I just hope the decade-plus I've spent scarfing down Cheffy B spaghetti hasn't taken a toll on my health or permanently damn me to a life with acne. Need I mention that I'm naturally thin with a fast metabolism, and that I feel hungry about 3 hours after downing a can of Chef Boyardee? Just responding to one of you who brought up digestion and detox.

BlessTheFall and Kodi - thanks for the heads up on the Autolyzed Yeast Extract - I really had no idea what it was, I assumed it was actually yeast, lol. Silly me. Good find.

Interesting responses again guys..............looks like I really have to ponder how to adjust my diet after I'm done scarfing my remaining cans of Chef Boyardee product. Problem is that aside from that and Ramen I don't know what else I could purchase that could serve as a quick bite that'll keep me adequately full while I'm outside working and taking my college classes. I've become so accustomed to the Chef for so long now, and to a lesser extent Ramen (much lesser I might add, I rarely eat it.).

If only my George Foreman grill wasn't such a PAIN IN THE ASS! to clean up every time I finish cooking with it, I'd probably get by cooking a quick bite to eat with it often. (I've got one of those older models without the removable grill plates.)